Sonlight Complete Curriculum

cleorosie

• Reviewed on Thursday, November 1, 2012
  • Grades Used: pre K core
  • Dates used: 2012
Warning parents.. I just had a really bad & upsetting experience with Sonlight before buying it!!!

I was excited about using them so I went on their web site and tried to pay for pre K core program. I am a working mom with three kids 2,3, & 4. I thought they were just letting me pay in four payments and going to send books in four shipments(its like monthly payments K12 offers and they ship monthly when you pay). Of course with kids crawling around I didn’t read fine print and hit send. My husband is also not working and we are trying to get a mortgage so I have been told not to apply for credit and I would not have hit that button if it had been clear. I called Sonlight/wrote letter and Greg from finance dept called me. He was really cold/not nice on the phone basically accused me of lying when I explained the error. I told him I didn’t realize I was applying for credit and it goes on my credit score as a Christian organization could they give a working mom with three kids the benefit of the doubt and retract it as it was an error. I am trying to buy a home for my kids as we rent. I was not asking for credit at all just that they remove the inquiry off my score at Trans Union as I had mistakely hit a bottom without reading it. He really made me feel like worse than absolute dirt. He was cold and kept trying to twist what I was saying on the phone. Example- I was told he used to work at a condo company and he was shocked at how low your score needed to be to get credit here. I explained I didn’t want credit I just didn’t know that I was applying for it and that I hit a button on my PC with as kid crawling all my lap without reading it. He never said he understood just that its this way or the highway with lots of long silences. I kept having to ask if he was still there or what he was doing. I said we have kids and really liked the program and basically he was accusing me of lying. Not one apology or even encouragement to use Sonlight program for my kids whatsoever.. Just nothing but basically I think you are a lowlife and we don’t care how you hit that bottom you did and we are not going to change a thing even if it was not clear.. He was very condescending . All I can say is WOW!! This is a really sad low for a Christian education company if you treat moms like this..
I can say it was like speaking with a really bad debt collection company. I felt very bad about myself after the call it was a truly terrible experience.
PS this did lower my score and will impact us buying a home and we will have to pay thousands more in interest and I think that will make Greg very happy as he seemed like the sort of person that would enjoy seeing a family suffer..

dieselpickupshop

• Reviewed on Friday, October 5, 2012
  • Grades Used: P3/4, P4/5
  • Dates used: 2010-2012
I have used Sonlight's complete curriculum for P3/4 and P4/5. I found about half of the materials we loved while about the other half did not interest my children. While I truly enjoy the time we spend together reading and sharing, and am forever indebted to Sonlight for reminding me just how important lots of reading is to young children, I also don't like the feeling that my son is missing something. Big gaps in what I felt he needs to be learning at this age (not multiplication but at least how to write his name, for example) were not being filled with Sonlight. However, I will continue to use many of their materials. I LOVE the SING THE WORD CD's. My 2-year-old can recite all of the books of the New Testament because of these amazing CD's!

Alexandra

• Reviewed on Thursday, January 26, 2012
  • Grades Used: p 3/4 and some p4/5
  • Dates used: 2009-2011
I bought the p3/p4 curriculum for my three year old daughter as out first venture into homeschooling. Sonlight came highly recommended to me by an acquaintance.
The manual that came with the p3/4 curriculum was very helpful, well laid out, and easy to follow. I appreciated that it came with suggestions for add on activities to reinforce what you were covering that day.
I have also found the staff to be very polite,competent and quick to respond to any questions you may have.
As far as the content of the curriculum goes I was very pleased. The books were excellent picks, many I had not heard of and would not have used had it not been for Sonlight. I continue to use these books with both of my daughers and it has been a great investment in real books for our personal library that we hope to use for many years to come.
The bible stories used realistic pictures and did not talk down to the children. Im not one for excessive sheltering and appreciated that approach. However, some may not like this aspect of the bible story books, so be aware when you order.
Sonlight also introduced us to Usborne books, which my entire family loves, especially my children. We have bought many additional books from them.
For p4/p5 I knew I wanted to try Horizons for math and LA but i did select books off of sonlights website. I would have bought all of them had it not been for budget constraints. I also buy the books, and any other curriculum I use that they provide through them if I can as I want to support their work in putting together such an excellent list of books.
I will definitely be using sonlight in the future (God willing) and would heartily recommend it. If you try it and dont like it their return policy and customer service is some of the best I have ever seen. You really cant lose.
I did notice some reviewers comments on inappopriate content in books or bible stories and I found that when a book contained a theme, like death, it would have a note for the parent in the teacher guide so they would be aware ahead of time. I dont know if that is the case with each story but It was with p3/p4.

vsheldon

• Reviewed on Wednesday, June 8, 2011
  • Grades Used: Core K (Core A)
  • Dates used: March 2010-September 2010
Like other reviewers, I also have mixed feelings about Sonlight. We paid a lot of money for the program but my boys, ages 5 and 7 at the time, only enjoyed about half of the books. We did not use the language arts at all, I guess I just didn't understand Sonlight's approach to LA, and we ended up ditching the whole Core a few months into it since we finished reading the books we enjoyed a lot more quickly than the IG suggested. The Core IG made the books unenjoyable and didn't offer up anything unique. I think using Sonlight's book selection as a book list with a library card and amazon.com would have been a better option for us. I have decided to use a much more formal curriculum for my children to lay their solid foundation in the three R's and keep great literature for our cuddle time, which is often in my house. I should add though, that the higher level Core's actually look like really strong programs. I am just not impressed by the primary/elementary level Cores.

Updated 4/19/2013

We just received Core D to use for 3rd/5th Grade American History, and I love most of the books! We are not Christian, so I am sending back quite a few of the books, but I don't feel we've taken away from the program at all by doing this. We still have A LOT of wonderful titles to read this coming school year. I have separated the language arts sheets to get a feel for if they will work for us, and I absolutely love the assignments and the lay out of the language arts. I will be using the dictation passages from the readers (included in the guide), instead of the bible passages that are on the worksheets. I am really excited about the history and language arts from Sonlight for this coming year. I will not be using Sonlight's science program this year, since we're going with a more natural, nature study approach using Queen Homeschool's "Discovering Nature" series. I think a more natural approach to science and math (Life of Fred) goes really well with Sonlight's literature approach to history.
12345678910...