Singapore Math

Sarahlamb

• Reviewed on Friday, April 15, 2016
  • Grades Used: 2a,b
  • Dates used: 2016
Hate it!!! With a passion! We came from a local public school with high expectation of learning! K and 1st. She was always in the top three of her class despite her being the youngest. Started home school for second grade But we have experienced soooo many meltdowns with this book. Shed so many tears ad. Frustration. It moves to a new subject before she ever has the concept drilled. Not enough practice problems, bounces us around we feel like squirrels. She still needs her hand held through borrowing/carrying exercises. This week She moves into adding money in one page with out any explanation as to the value of each coin or the role of the decimal!!!! and she is expected to be able to add it?. There are So many gaps in this curricula I can't even. This book has completely destroyed our confidence. She does like doing the multiplication but it's so repetitive and where are the times tables chart for memorization? Spit spit spit. Never again!. Switching to right start math-with high hopes. Sorry all Singapore lovers.

txwaandrews

• Reviewed on Wednesday, October 1, 2014
  • Grades Used: 3rd Grade
  • Dates used: 2014
We used A Beka arithmetic for 2nd grade.

My daughter is 8, did great in public school for both Kinder and 1st grade. And mastered A Beka in all subjects and made an A on every test for the year of 2nd grade. (To give you an idea of the type of student I'm referring to.)

BUT I wanted something different for 3rd grade-

I wanted something that was more thorough in what it presented so that you move from one concept to the next with confidence. And the truth is, if you homeschool- YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPEND A BUNCH OF TIME ON ANYTHING IF YOUR KID ALREADY GETS IT. But if they need more work, a curriculum should provide the practice to get it down. And in math, you should be really good before taking the next step, right?

I also wanted something that didn't make her brain shift 5 different gears daily, basically doing a cumulative review of all skills. That's just annoying. Especially if it never let you get really good at any one specific skill. "Spiral Method" is I believe what this is called, when you constantly present everything to reinforce it. Like I said- this would be tolerable if it did a really good job teaching concepts to begin with.

Lastly, I wanted a curriculum that had real thought put into the order in which concepts are presented. Something that would build a solid foundation and grow outward. Build the puzzle from the ground up, not jumping levels then coming back.

SINGAPORE MATH DOES THIS. WE REALLY LIKE IT SO FAR!!

************************************************
It gives you:

Teachers Edition showing you how to teach each exercise.

Textbook for guided practice to help them put knowledge into practice with help from you.

Workbook to do it independently and show that they've mastered it and can do it on their very own.
****************************************************

If you do your homework, you will find that this is based on the methods used in Singapore. And that their kids rank high in testing for math skills. From Wikipedia:

"Following Singapore’s curricular and instructional initiatives, dramatic improvements in math proficiency among Singaporean students on international assessments were observed.[1] TIMSS, an international assessment for math and science among fourth and eighth graders, ranked Singapore’s fourth and eighth grade students first in mathematics three times (1995, 1999, and 2003) among participating nations.[10][12] Likewise, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)'s Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA), a worldwide study of 15-year-old school students' scholastic performance in mathematics, science, and reading, has placed Singaporean students at second place, after Shanghai, China in 2009 and 2012.[15][16]"

Who wouldn't want their kids on this track to learning math? QUALITY over QUANTITY

I think your child is really a math whiz, the spiral method is fine. I've heard of success with Saxon and A Beka. But if you feel like your kid is having to work even a little and not necessarily confident- TRY THIS. And certainly, if they are struggling, I could see this being the solution.

becca

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 16, 2014
  • Grades Used: 1st, 2nd
  • Dates used: 2013-current
This math curriculum was a great fit for us. My son went from virtually no math skills to being a human calculator in one year. (1st yr of hs) I have a very logical/analytical math-minded ds and I love that this curriculum stretched him to understand visually.
I have not used Singapore Math with a kid who struggles with math. This one's a keeper.

JamesBrooke57

• Reviewed on Monday, May 20, 2013
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
I am very grateful that we ended up with Singapore (U.S. Edition) for my first grader. He excelled in math this year. My son is a self-motivated learner that catches on very quickly. For children that are designed this way, I would recommend Singapore. However, if your child has a more difficult time with math and needs extra encouragement in this subject, you may want to go with Math-U-See (which I have enjoyed using with my third grader) or Teaching Textbooks.
12345678910...