Saxon K-8 Math

BPM

• Reviewed on Thursday, April 16, 2015
  • Grades Used: K-3rd
  • Dates used: 2010-2015
We have taken our time through Saxon Math, using it as a jumping off point for more detailed lessons. I like that the script is there to assist me in teaching more difficult concepts, and that I know how to take off from there if we choose to do so.

We pick and choose what we do from Saxon--my 10yo dd does not always require that we do EVERY fact sheet included. We use the worksheets by doing the front side only [side A], and she does only the problems on the back that she gets wrong initially. That way the repetition doesn't get too dull. She does need some, and the program has plenty available if need be.

It is no frills, but Saxon is also no gaps, and the ideas keep on cycling at higher levels each time, so review is built in. I don't mind dressing it up on occasion, because I know the program itself is so good. It's a good starting point!

apapetti

• Reviewed on Tuesday, January 13, 2015
  • Grades Used: 4th-6th currently
  • Dates used: 2012-2014
We are now Saxon devotees and here's why! The endless repetition was good in our case. My son was on a mastery program and couldn't remember what he learned several lessons later. He hated math because he couldn't remember it….at all. Nothing was sticking.
Enter Saxon math!!!!! He now loves math because he can do it successfully….enough said!!!!

CalmingTea

• Reviewed on Thursday, July 25, 2013
  • Grades Used: 2-7/6
  • Dates used: 2007-2014
We are back to being huge Saxon fans. I'll admit...we have had a love/hate relationship with this math.

My son used Saxon 2- through 7/6. During 7/6 we had some difficulties but continued on anyway. Starting with 8/7, math became a daily nightmare. The book was confusing, my son hated math and it just seemed like it was nothing but review, forever!

I switched my son to an online mastery-based math class and he began to fail test after test. I would re-teach him the material, he would attend all the classes, time would go by again he would be failing. This went on for four months.

In desperation I switched him back to Saxon but this time to ALGEBRA 1/2 and there was immediate improvement! ALGEBRA 1/2 is the better book unless your child has a learning challenge or never used a solid elementary math program! He is more than 1/4 way through and sailing through. Because I am involved on a daily basis (due to the wonderful solutions manual), he is setting up his problems, writing neatly, and showing all his work. He was getting B's on all his tests.

Then, about a month ago he began using the ART REED DVD's and now, once again, guess what! He is getting all straight A's, nearly perfect scores. Not only that, but in his math tutoring sessions he uses Art of Problem Solving, and his tutor remarked that his neatness, showing all his work, and number skills have skyrocketed! Yes, that is because of Saxon.

Meanwhile, my daughter is now starting Saxon 7/6 a half a year early, with the ART REED DVDs. She loves watching her brother's lessons and understands everything Art says.

BUT HERE IS ONE IMPORTANT FACTOR: If your child is going into any kind of math field (or even if they might)...you have to supplement Saxon with problems solving. You can use Zaccarro's Primary or Middle School Challenge Math Books. They are fun, and explain everything but really really stretch them.

Hailey Ann

• Reviewed on Thursday, April 11, 2013
  • Grades Used: first grade
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
My son started having melt downs towards the middle of the year with Saxon due to the amount of work. It really isn't that much work when you are teaching repetition. I added in more of the manipulatives offered through their K-3 kit. He started to soar. I also use to teach first grade math in a public school. This is without a doubt the best math curriuculm out there folks. I met a girl at a park who told me her mom homeschooled her with Saxon math until sixth grade. She is now an engineer. She gives all her credit to Saxon math. She did not feel like she learned much after going back to school in middle school. She was so advanced they didn't have a class to put her into. Saxon math is the way to go!!
12345678910...