Rod & Staff English

Click for more information about Rod & Staff English

• Reviewed on Friday, October 30, 2015
  • Grades Used: 3rd-5th
  • Dates used: 2013 - present
We used Rod and Staff English in 3rd and 4th grade. For 5th grade I decided to try something different because Rod and Staff seemed a little dry and I thought my dd would like something different. Well, we tried BJU for 2 months. She hates it and requested to go back to Rod and Staff. She likes that it is a little repetitive and it is more advanced than other curriculum. We did the same thing with Math and she wants to go back to Rod and Staff (instead of Life Pac).

• Reviewed on Sunday, May 3, 2015
  • Dates used: 2015
Very long lessons, and very OVERLY biblical. Most sentences have the most crazy hard biblical names to pronounce and talk about things they have no idea about. It is very well laid out just overdone to no end.

• Reviewed on Friday, April 3, 2015
  • Dates used: 2014-2015
The 8th grade lessons are very wordy. Just reading the lesson can be very time consuming (several pages long). It's like too much is packed into 1 lesson. Now the 4th and 6th are much more doable.
We have really enjoyed those.

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 22, 2015
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
I truly enjoy this program. I was previously using a more Charlotte Mason style language arts approach and in 4th grade moved dd to a formal grammar study (I believe Charlotte Mason recommended this as well) while keeping the narration, copywork,etc. Anyway, I love how straightforward and easy to use it is. It is also very thorough.
Presenting the lesson each day was a breeze because the TM is pretty much open and go. It is scripted to a certain extent and provides the teacher with any background info need. Yet it is not overwhelming in the amount of info given, the lessons are short and to the point. I typically spent about 10-15 presenting and then assign the written work. My dd enjoyed the lessons because they were short, well explained, and focused. With previous Charlotte Mason style programs we used, the topics jumped around and encouraged the child to draw their own conclusions. That is fine to a point but my dd needed something different.
Another thing I enjoyed was that every lesson begins with a quick review of concepts from previous lessons. Great for retention. Also after each new concept presented there is an oral drill. This is great for when you want to give your child a break from the writing. I would do the oral drill in place of the written practice. You could even do some of the written practice orally if you want.
I think this program gives thorough coverage of grammar. So thorough that you might not need to use it every year. Overall I have not complaints and is my "go to" grammar program.