Rod & Staff English

ErinD

• Reviewed on Sunday, July 6, 2014
  • Grades Used: 2nd-6th
  • Dates used: 2010-2014
R&S English is economical, Biblical and very thorough. I used it with my children orally, doing the diagramming on scrap paper or the whiteboard.

I like the lower levels (although the 2nd grade book is a bit too repetitive and simple, and definitely not essential). But once we got to the 6th grade book, the grammar was getting pretty complicated. By complicated, I mean the lessons were quite long and involved and the explanations were very long-winded. That just didn't work for my son. He needs concise, to-the-point instruction. So after making it 2/3 of the way through, we switched to Climbing to Good English for the remainder of the year.

Many people use this English a grade level behind or do one book spread over two years. I think that is good advice. It is advanced, especially once you get to the 6th+ books.

As for the writing lessons, I found the lessons on paragraphs and sentence structure to be useful, but the majority of the lessons in the lower level books are creative writing; stories and letters and such. As far as I know, this changes in the 7th level. But it just wasn't our thing so I used Writing with Ease instead.

sewmommy3

• Reviewed on Tuesday, July 1, 2014
  • Dates used: 2006-2013
I just LOVE this curriculum. It is so easy to use and explains the concepts very well. When my children were young, I would read through the lessons with them. When they got to the 5th grade, they could read and understand all the lessons without my assistance. I have gone to other English grammar curriculums on a couple of occasions and have always returned to this one. I highly recommend.

flossifer

• Reviewed on Friday, May 23, 2014
  • Grades Used: 1st - 10th
  • Dates used: 2000 - 2014
I have used Rod and Staff English since we started homeschooling our children and we have tried many others, but have always come back to Rod and Staff. Both the student and teacher's manual are easy to use. It's very thorough and in my opinion the best available and sells at a reasonable price too. My children have always done very well on test scores for English while using Rod and Staff.

Christie M

• Reviewed on Monday, May 12, 2014
  • Dates used: 1993-present
We have been using Rod and Staff Language Arts series for many years. Once we found it, we have only swayed once or twice to try something else.
Within a few weeks, we were back to our old familiar, dependable and thorough Rod and Staff.

This program is thoroughly layed out with mastery in mind.

I have not found another program that even comes close to teaching the necessary building blocks for writing, and sentence structure that Rod and Staff provides.

We are so thankful for diligent workers who have kept this curriculum available to us over the years.

We consider Rod and Staff, not a curriculum, but a friend. :)
12345678910...