Rod & Staff English

My name22

• Reviewed on Thursday, February 11, 2016
  • Grades Used: 2nd and 7th
  • Dates used: 2015-2016
I wish I found this curriculum sooner. And have and will recommend them!

My 2nd grader loves her book. She love the pictures, and what she is learning about writing. I have seen a big improvement in her writing skills and penmanship. She like to do it on her own, but I tell her we need to read instructions together first.

I used the 7th grade for my 8th grade, he is a very strong reader and is above his reading level but has had little grammar work, and he is doing great! He can do most of it on his own he did not like digraphing sentences. But it has helped him with basic stuff other programs leave out. He does enjoy it, we don't do all the work some we do out loud if he gets it we move on.

I love the teacher manuals go with the same page as there books! Also love how simple they are no fluff. It is a Christian program, and lots of the sentences they work with are about the Bible or how we should act towards others. I like this and is a big plus for me. I wish I would have used this with my older child to start with , but I am glad my next 3 will be using them. That's something elts I like you don't write in them so you can use them for all your kids

greenmom4

• Reviewed on Monday, February 8, 2016
  • Grades Used: 2nd-4th
  • Dates used: 2013-2016
Thorough, step-by-step English grammar & writing. We've used this curriculum for a few years now. It's very structured, focusing mostly on parts of speech & sentence diagramming, as well as sentence, paragraph, and story composition. There's lots of review, and each grade level covers the same basic components, but more in-depth each time around.

Lessons at the elementary level can be done orally or on paper. Oral drills are included in most lessons. We've used both - it's nice to do the lessons on paper if your child needs additional practice with the mechanics of writing, but balks at story prompts, journals, or other open-ended writing assignments.

It's not the most "fun" curriculum, but has been effective for us in teaching proper structure for writing and using parts of speech. Good character is encouraged, with biblical references and themes throughout, though it can be a bit "stuffy" at times.

gratitude

• Reviewed on Saturday, December 12, 2015
  • Grades Used: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, & plan on continuing
  • Dates used: 2011 - present
I am so grateful that another home school mom recommended Rod and Staff English to me when my oldest was only in 2nd grade. It is a beautiful way to teach the language of written English.

The Rod and Staff English books are solid Biblically, contain many Bible examples, have on more then one occasion brought us to 'heart discussions' rather then through an English lesson, have convicted me a few times, and have brought growth on multiple fronts.

The Rod and Staff English books are also very solid academically. The grammar is exceptional. I have looked elsewhere and never seen its equal. It is thorough and teaches traditional English grammar through diagramming. The composition lessons lead students from understanding the difference between a sentence and a fragment, through the construction of paragraphs, and does an excellent job with out-lining in grade 5. This program is rigorous, advanced, academic, Christian, and produces a solid understanding of the written language of English.

My oldest is half way through book 5 and has completed 2, 3, and 4. My second born is in book 4 and has completed 2 and 3. My third born is in book 3 and has completed book 2. I see fruit in all of their writing from these books. It has helped them learn to construct complete sentences, paragraphs centered around a topic, and writing that thankfully is without many of the grammatical errors of our day.

I highly recommend Rod and Staff English. I have read many complain of it being dry and boring. Perhaps it is what you are used to. I appreciate the basic black and white texts that require critical thought, an ability to analyze, an ability to write directly onto a piece of paper, and high rigor. We haven't found them to be dry or boring. They contain Biblical and grammatical understanding and sense that I personally find refreshing to teach from.

If you want a solid grammar program that approaches writing from the foundation up you cannot do better then Rod and Staff.

devlyn99

• Reviewed on Friday, October 30, 2015
  • Grades Used: 3rd-5th
  • Dates used: 2013 - present
We used Rod and Staff English in 3rd and 4th grade. For 5th grade I decided to try something different because Rod and Staff seemed a little dry and I thought my dd would like something different. Well, we tried BJU for 2 months. She hates it and requested to go back to Rod and Staff. She likes that it is a little repetitive and it is more advanced than other curriculum. We did the same thing with Math and she wants to go back to Rod and Staff (instead of Life Pac).
12345678910...