Rod & Staff Complete

lovin life

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 3, 2012
  • Grades Used: 1st-2nd
  • Dates used: 2010-2012
I've just wrapped up another year with Rod & Staff and have already ordered it for next year. I love and look forward to teaching language arts and math knowing my daughter actually retains what she's learning weeks and months later! The instructions are very clear and most of the time my 2nd grade daughter can finish her work after her lesson with little to no help from me. It is a program where you get out of what you put in so grade 1 is more intense than 2 but really lays out that solid foundation of skills needed to gradually learn more independently for the following year. Also the readers are scripturally accurate Bible stories written in a way that my daughter understands and remembers, which in turn she asks questions about how it pertains to our lives in general.....how awesome is that! I am getting Bible curriculum in at the same time!
I had started using Saxon math in k but halfway through 2nd grade dd still couldn't do simple single digit addition with out using her fingers so I switched to Rod and Staff and by the end of the school year she can whip out her math knowledge like nobody's business. Most importantly has regained her confidence back. She scored very well on Spectrums annual math test but missed multiplication since its not mastered until 3rd grade. Manipulatives aren't really used. I did make the blossom and bee hive charts and those were helpful. I really appreciate the basics of math, English, phonics, reading and health being layed out so well, I can teach with ease and be understood by my children. I didn't use science, as I've chosen Apologia's elementary series. Not sure about R&S social studies yet but I ordered that for next year. Most of all, pray about your decisions for curriculum and remember the big picture. I want my children to score well but also have the character and confidence they need to make their own decisions with the foundation that's been laid.

Terim774Him

• Reviewed on Friday, April 27, 2012
  • Grades Used: 4the & 8th
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
I used Rod and Staff for the first (and last) time this year because the cost was less than many others out there and it was Bible based. Some of the materials were ok, spelling was really good. But there were many errors in the books (my son pointed out) even grammer errors in the reading book. I didn't care for the way the 8th grade science was put together, hard to teach, didn't go along and can't correct the work without the students book and your teacher's book because the questions are not in the teacher's book so answers are rarely in form that you can correct, so have to go back and forth from student book to child's answer to teachers manual to see if it could be correct. Other problems with the books, it teaches old ways (1970's) so this year my daughter took an assessment test after going through the English and got some bad scores because the materials were not covered in the book! I would gladly even spend extra money to make sure they are getting what they need. I did like that it was Biblically based, but I don't have much else good to say because most of it I did't care for.

beckyla

• Reviewed on Thursday, April 5, 2012
  • Grades Used: 1st-7th
  • Dates used: 2006-2012
I've used other curriculum and always come back to the basic of Rod and Staff. It's straight forward for kids to learn and parent to teach. The English, Phonics, Science, Bible and History are unbeatable for contents. Reading is also very good, but does demand a more diligent student. I would recommend this to anyone just beginning or needing a change. And it won't break the bank. If you have a child who has some learning issues, such as dyslexia, etc. you might have to modify how much writing they do by using more oral, but we have been very successful with the beginning reading program.

aimster279

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 13, 2011
  • Grades Used: 4th-5th
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
This is our second year using Rod & Staff complete and we love it. I chose it for 4th grade for my son and he loved it and looked forward to the lessons each day. He liked the spelling and how he knew what each lesson was going to be and never got bored with it.

The reading and bible are my favorites, very through and complete! I love that we are in the bible each and everyday.

I have used the artpacs for several years and the penmanship as well for my 10 and 7 year olds.

When we were talking about homeschooling for this current year, he asked for Rod and Staff! We both were so excited when it came in the mail. I have never had to call customer service but the shipping has always been very fast and reasonable.