Rosetta Stone

Click for more information about Rosetta Stone

Mancino98

• Reviewed on Sunday, October 19, 2014
  • Dates used: Sept-Oct 2014
We purchased Levels 1-3 of the Homeschool Edition for Spanish. While my daughter seemed to enjoy it at first, the addition of the worksheets which help with writing and grammar made this program very frustrating. While she did well on the computer based part, we found translating that knowledge to the worksheets became very confusing because the program had absolutely no explanation of how sentences are structured, why you put certain words in certain places, why some words can end in 'a' or 'o', etc. All the basics that I remember learning in Spanish 1 in high school! It didn't teach what the letters all sound like, so there was no way she could pronounce words she had never seen on the screen.

But that's just the first problem. The even bigger problem is that I could not get it to work with my computer (and yes, my computer had all the requirements necessary to make it work). It worked fine for the first few weeks, and suddenly we started getting errors every time we opened the application, preventing it from even opening. I spent multiple times on Live Chat with Tech Support trying to figure out what the problem was. Not only did they give me sometimes very sketchy solutions ("restart your computer three times and it will reset the program"), but we even did remote access where they went into my computer over the internet to try to fix it. Five hours later, and it STILL boots up with an error! AARRGGHH!! I'm asking for a refund.... we'll see if it happens.

spgonzalez

• Reviewed on Sunday, May 11, 2014
  • Grades Used: 3rd-6th
  • Dates used: 2012-2014
We purchased the full Rosetta Stone Spanish (NOT the home school edition) for my 11 y/o and 8 y/o (both home schooled), and myself. It has been a wonderful course that immediately teaches communication with proper grammar. It builds on each lesson so that you don't easily forget what has already been learned. After about 2 years, my girls and I can speak and communicate in Spanish...after getting over nerves that is! Of course, there's always more to learn. I love this program! Not familiar with the home school edition, but I would definitely recommend the regular edition even for home schoolers...almost any age. =)

angela&boys

• Reviewed on Tuesday, February 11, 2014
  • Grades Used: High School
  • Dates used: Aug 2013-Feb 2014
I am at my wits end.

We purchased this new from Christian Book Distributors in the summer of 2013, just prior to the start of the new year. It is the homeschool version 3, so it was the very latest edition available. Also, ds is using a newly purchased Toshiba laptop that is under a year old.

I have been on the phone with Rosetta Stone customer service five times now since January because even though my son scores a 100% and has completed every activity, it will not allow him to move forward. I follow their instructions for restarting, reloading etc... (I'm to the point that it's predictable as to what they'll have me do. : /) Each time, I struggle with understanding the operator because of English being their second language (ironic, right?). The last two calls made, they told me there is a version 4 available, but that it was not available in the homeschool version, and both implied that since I purchased this in August, it was "outdated". What? I purchase something for a school year, and a year is not even over, and it's outdated?

And now they tell me that I will have to use the online chat or pay the $19.99 fee every time I call. Naturally, I tried the online chat. It not only took twice as long, but they were of no help. Again, they pointed me to the latest version.

So, pay either $19.99 for a call that actually may help, or purchase their latest version for over $200? Sounds like a sales pitch to me. Sorry, I'm burnt.

Bottom line for me, they are not a homeschool-friendly vendor. They are out to make a buck and nothing more. Their customer service, while very polite, are not helpful and quite frankly, it's a waste of time to call.

Now it's the end of the school year and I am at a loss as to how to fill the gap, nevermind what we'll use for Year 2. I will never recommend or use Rosetta Stone again.

blesar

• Reviewed on Thursday, September 12, 2013
  • Dates used: 2013
If you come with any knowledge of a language and attempt to preview higher levels of Rosetta Stone you can forget about it. The staff working at their service counters need lessons in English because they are unable to answer most simple questions that a person might have. The information that they provide changes from one day to another as they seem to contradict each other depending on the time of day that a person might have a question. After month and half of trying to determine whether my daughter would be able to proceed on level three, we decided that it would not be wise to spend money on a program provided by a company whose employees do not understand basic English and whose ability to communicate the most rudimentary concepts in their native tongue is laughable.
12345678910...