Rod & Staff Preschool / K workbooks

mission029

• Reviewed on Thursday, January 15, 2015
  • Grades Used: Age 4 - 5
  • Dates used: 2012 - 2015
This is actually my second time using this series. I've used it for both my daughters when they each turned 4. To be honest, I thought these work books seemed a little strict at first. The further we got in to them, though, I could see that they definitely were working. My girls' coloring skills improved so fast along with their fine motor skills, etc. We just take our time going through them and my girls love them. I will also add that some of the pictures they have to identify are a little tough but only because of where we are in our day and age, if that makes sense. For example, we would run in to having to identify a sewing machine that we don't really have around any more or old kitchen appliances that my kids don't recognize. But it really wasn't a huge problem. Good teaching opportunity and sometimes I had a good laugh.

Hottea

• Reviewed on Wednesday, October 22, 2014
  • Grades Used: 3yr olds-4yr olds
  • Dates used: 2014
I am a former classroom teacher who now homeschools my own children. Other preschool curriculum we have tried assumed too much too soon, resulting in much frustration for the student and the teacher. Rod and Staff was the perfect solution to help build the confidence and basic skills necessary to move forward. My daughter begs to do school now! We love it! We started with the age 3-4 level and are now moving on to the ABC series. Wonderful early learner curriculum.

ErinD

• Reviewed on Saturday, January 25, 2014
  • Grades Used: Pre-K
  • Dates used: 2009-2013
These books are great for the preschool student who wants to "do school, too!" I never used them as an actual curriculum but they were perfect to hand my 4yo when he wanted to do school like his older brothers. We didn't do all of them either, but after completing Counting with Numbers, he could make really nice numbers!

Also, the Bible story book is wonderful. I have never found a Bible curriculum I like more: short stories, comprehension questions, a Bible verse with each one and the corresponding colouring book.

Ena Wojciechowski

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 24, 2013
  • Grades Used: Autistic - Non-Graded
  • Dates used: 2011-2013
These books are perfect. Sweet, gentle and engaging without being distracting.

My son is autistic and when I pulled him from traditional school, I didn't have a clear picture of where he belonged curriculum-wise. I thought he was more advanced than the reports we received stating he did not know shapes or letters. This series was a perfect fit. The illustrations and instructions were clear. In fact, at times, we found the pace too slow as the lessons are very repetitive. But that is exactly what we needed to really hammer home the rules and facts. It showed me his strengths and weaknesses.

The images are of actual objects and animals from the world not pretend characters from popular culture. Key in keeping my son's attention on the subject at hand. It also helped him to apply what he learned to everyday life. I found the Christian lessons to be basic and universal and not specific to one faith.

The workbooks are sold as a set or individually so it is easy to try. I wound up buying the entire A-I books anyway!