Rod & Staff Preschool / K workbooks

amanda1009

• Reviewed on Friday, April 15, 2016
  • Grades Used: Preschool
  • Dates used: 2014-2015
My son went to a formal preschool because I was working at the time. I bought Rod and Staff's Learning More and More because I love to teach and my son loves animals.
He LOOVED this book! He still has it and still looks through it. He calls it one of his science notebooks (there is descriptions on some of the creatures on the cover and throughout the book). When I first got the book I was a little confused as it seemed to jump between letters and numbers concepts. I was a little afraid it wouldn't help at all.
There was way more going on in these books than what he was being taught and he seemed to really enjoy them.
I plan on using Grade 1 for his first grade year when I (FINALLY) get to homeschool him this coming school year (2016-2017). I may just buy the rest of the ones he hasn't done since he still loves to mess around with them and it wouldn't hurt to review. Either way I recommend them -they're awesome.
Also, because it's Mennonite there is a farming theme and their lifestyle going on but this only makes it cooler to my son because he just views it as an olden-day farming theme.

mission029

• Reviewed on Thursday, January 15, 2015
  • Grades Used: Age 4 - 5
  • Dates used: 2012 - 2015
This is actually my second time using this series. I've used it for both my daughters when they each turned 4. To be honest, I thought these work books seemed a little strict at first. The further we got in to them, though, I could see that they definitely were working. My girls' coloring skills improved so fast along with their fine motor skills, etc. We just take our time going through them and my girls love them. I will also add that some of the pictures they have to identify are a little tough but only because of where we are in our day and age, if that makes sense. For example, we would run in to having to identify a sewing machine that we don't really have around any more or old kitchen appliances that my kids don't recognize. But it really wasn't a huge problem. Good teaching opportunity and sometimes I had a good laugh.

Hottea

• Reviewed on Wednesday, October 22, 2014
  • Grades Used: 3yr olds-4yr olds
  • Dates used: 2014
I am a former classroom teacher who now homeschools my own children. Other preschool curriculum we have tried assumed too much too soon, resulting in much frustration for the student and the teacher. Rod and Staff was the perfect solution to help build the confidence and basic skills necessary to move forward. My daughter begs to do school now! We love it! We started with the age 3-4 level and are now moving on to the ABC series. Wonderful early learner curriculum.

ErinD

• Reviewed on Saturday, January 25, 2014
  • Grades Used: Pre-K
  • Dates used: 2009-2013
These books are great for the preschool student who wants to "do school, too!" I never used them as an actual curriculum but they were perfect to hand my 4yo when he wanted to do school like his older brothers. We didn't do all of them either, but after completing Counting with Numbers, he could make really nice numbers!

Also, the Bible story book is wonderful. I have never found a Bible curriculum I like more: short stories, comprehension questions, a Bible verse with each one and the corresponding colouring book.