Mother Goose Time

1dayathome

• Reviewed on Wednesday, May 20, 2015
  • Grades Used: 18 months to 6 years
  • Dates used: 2015
I've been using Mother Goose Time with my girls for 3 months so far. They were almost 2 and almost 6 when I started. I'm so impressed with this curriculum. The girls are so excited when I say it's time for school. My older one begs to do more once the lessons are done. Mother Goose Time offers a complete curriculum with a different theme every month. Included in your first box is the welcome kit, which has the materials needed to complete a display to use every month. It's where the girls can track the letters, numbers, shape, color and virtue of the month. Every month includes a teachers guide, planning journal, calendar, music CD, manipulatives, and so much more. For the kids there are make and take books, journals, craft material and basically everything else you need to complete the 20 days worth of lessons. They really thought of everything when they put this together. I also love that there are add ons available to customize the curriculum to your individual needs. For my 6 year old there are the more math and more literature activity books, which help her get extra practice. For my 2 year old there is the little goose teacher guide, which is used to adapt the activities and make them easier for a toddler to participate in. We also get the dance 'n beats dvd, which my girls love. My 6 year old is great at math and is able to read fairly well. She knows her colors, shapes, letters and numbers but the lessons are so interactive and fun that she doesn't mind getting extra reinforcement on these topics. It's a great curriculum for younger kids, but by expanding on the lessons a little bit and going more in depth on the topic of the day it has worked great with my older daughter. The most important thing to me is that the kids both love it. Learning is made fun.

Jane Black

• Reviewed on Friday, January 1, 2010
  • Grades Used: Ages 2-4
  • Dates used: 2009-2013
2013: I loved Mother Goose Time for a number of years. I must say, I'm a loyal customer and really, REALLY believe in this curriculum. I have seen it significantly help children who are now in grade school. The Mother Goose Time system is so well organized and is consistent in its hands-on approach to learning. I was able to easily adapt it to the specific developmental levels of my children. Now they are in grade school and I use a different curriculum because Mother Goose Time is exclusively a preschool - PreK program. I would use it again any day. Below is my original review in 2009.

2009 Reviewed: I love Mother Goose Time preschool curriculum. This is my first year to use it - but every month I am more impressed. As an educator myself, I thought I would put together my own curriculum as I started homeschooling my two children this year. But after hearing from a friend of mine that Mother Goose Time was more than a bunch of crafts and projects but a truly well thought-through, reserach-based program, I decided to give it a try. I couldn't believe all the creative projects, art supplies, and professional children's music that was included. The lesson plan book is very well written and easy to follow. Each day is a different topic...For example if the month is all about Trees, one day we focus on leaves, another day on birds living in the trees.

The art is open-ended so both my younger and older child can successfully participate. Everything is so hands-on and I love the folder game that comes every month. We've saved them and play them in the evenings as a family.

I've researched many various curriculum resources and this is the most comprehensive and affordable for the quality it offers.

Jane

grass_tiger

• Reviewed on Sunday, December 21, 2008
  • Grades Used: Pre-K
  • Dates used: 2007-2008
I used this curriculum-in-a-box when my daughter was two years old. It was great for her then. We skipped a lot of the stuff that was aimed towards groups, but generally there was enough to do, that that was fine with us. My daughter mainly loved the crafts, and I mainly loved the little to no preparation! I just pull out the day's packet, look at the curriculum guide and did what we could. My daughter begged to do "school." There were quite a few activities that my daughter (at 2) was not yet ready for yet though.

Now that my daughter is three this curriculum seems much to simple in general. My daughter is a little advanced, so perhaps this will be great for most. But my daughter has started reading already and is starting 1st grade phonics, she already knows her shapes, colors, numbers, letters, etc. She cuts and pastes well. So, I find that, other than the crafts (wonderful!), this really isn't meeting her needs. I presently use Click N Read Phonics (www.clicknkids.com) and Hooked on Phonics K. I ordered enough materials last year from Mother Goose Times (for three children, because it cost so little extra), that we are doing the crafts we skipped and doing some again this year that we did last year, and she still loves it. So, I haven't been able to justify the cost this year. BUT, that said, if I didn't have the leftovers from last year this kit would almost be worth it for the crafts--there are a lot of them and the materials are provided. If I tried to put that much together each month it would cost me more than $50! and I would never actually get around to it! Plus, you get a book (sometimes good, sometimes not), and a CD (well, my daughter likes them).

I got "The Learning Box" for one month and it was set up pretty much exactly like Mother Goose Times (not sure who copied who). But the main difference in the two is that Mother Goose Times' curriculum was very simple (for younger kids or those not as advanced yet perhaps), but The Learning Box had kids learning about things more in depth and with discussions. Take a look at the sample pages each place provides and I think you may see what I mean. I think the month I had we learned about the arctic fox, snowy owl, polar bears, seals, etc. their environment, etc. So, it takes a much more advanced child (mine wasn't really ready at the time) for it, IMHO. So, if your child is older or needs more engaging material, that might be the one to go with.

If I were to pay this price (~$50/mo.), I'd probably go with The Learning Box at this point for the good discussions since that would offer something more for us than just the crafts. But if a curriculum-in-a-box appeals to you and your child isn't ready for such in depth stuff, then Mother Goose Times might be great for you. Oh, and the crafts are not all "cookie cutter" (every kid's project comes out identical, with little free expression)--most are "open ended", apparently at one point they were not. Thankfully, you can get just one month and try it!

rileystuart

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 30, 2008
  • Grades Used: pre-k
  • Dates used: 2005-2006
I used Mothergoose Time in my child care facility. I felt overall that it was a good program. The main reason that we stopped using the program was because they hardly include any of the materials. I found myself having to spend a lot of additional money on add ons and crafting materials. I wanted to have a program that included everything that I would need for the month. We switched to Adventures In Learning and have been very happy with their program it is exactly what we were looking for. So if anyone is interested check them out at www.ailcurriculum.com.