Hands on Homeschooling

laura.bora

• Reviewed on Saturday, November 10, 2007
  • Grades Used: age 2
  • Dates used: 2004 and 2007
I first used hands on homeschooling with my son and loved it and am now using it again with my daughter. I don't follow it to a "T", but I use it for a launch off point of what I should be teaching etc. Everyone here is right, it IS VERY intensive in the prep time. I'll list some pros and cons that we see with this curriculum.

Pros:
1.) It is a GREAT launching point (or following it as is) - it is chock full with ideas, activities, concepts to cover, songs to sing, games to play etc.
2.) My children LOVED it, and were begging to do it. (even my older one
3.) It's reusable - I didn't have to go out and get a new workbook or whatnot just because I had another kid to teach, I just needed more materials like construction paper, paint etc.
4.) It's very flexible. Just because I didn't do monday's activities, doesn't mean we're sunk! If one of my children is ready for memorizing 1 verse a week, 1 every other week, or 1 a month, it's fine and easy enough to adjust.

Cons:
1.) It is very expensive upfront - but I saw that as a great investment since it was completly reusable for all future children.
2.) It involves a lot of prep time.

Political Mama

• Reviewed on Tuesday, June 26, 2007
  • Grades Used: Age 2
  • Dates used: 2006-2007
When I first got this program I LOVED how it was all laid out and it looked like it was very structured and organized and while it IS those things I found that it required A LOT of preparation in terms of making sure that we had things on hand. I am "lazy" when it comes to making a shopping list and being that organized and am much more "worksheet" oriented - so take that into consideration. I am also not in love with doing crafts, especially ones that require a lot of prep work on my part. And while I was just using this program for a 2 year old, I didn't find it to be academic enough for my taste. Spending a whole month on one Bible extremely paraphrased Bible Verse just wasn't enough for my auditory learner who I found out was quite capable of learning actual Bible verses in a week after I modified the program.

I strongly encourage any parents using this program to consider using the Betty Lukens felt set available through www.timberdoodle.com to help tell the Bible stories as this has been a great favorite of my daughters.

I also thought this program was a bit expensive especially after I discovered a FABULOUS FREE website that has great lesson plans for babies starting at age 3 or 6 months. www.letteroftheweek.com

I definitely would recommed Hands on Homeschooling to anyone that is very crafty and can be super prepared ahead of time by purchasing materials and prepping them in advance.

Hope that's helpful in making a decision to make this investment.

SnowWhiteJLC

• Reviewed on Friday, April 27, 2007
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: 2007
I recommend this program for anyone who wants a light interactive program with lots of different kinds of activities for K.

Subjects included are: Bible Holidays, Sign Language, Communities, Health/Safety, Arts/Crafts, Practical Living, Science, Poems, some Math and more!

Every day includes a Bible Holiday lesson and three other activities. Each activity takes less than 20 minutes on average, so you don't spend all day but you still get a great taste of Kindergarten. You do need to gather some art supplies (for example once a month you will make a flag for your Bible holiday... we used felt for those).

You will need a Learning to Read program, and I felt the Math was a little light. Also, don't be afraid to start it with a young 5 yo. I waited til fall because there are holiday-related activities, and I wish I had just started it last spring. Now that ds can read, we are busy in other areas and are less likely to do the hands-on stuff.

AlgebraicHeather

• Reviewed on Sunday, July 30, 2006
  • Grades Used: Age 2
  • Dates used: 2005-2006
I really enjoyed doing this curriculum with my son. He would bring me the big teacher's manual and say "Do school?" I will say that you need to plan ahead and make sure that you have all the materials, but it is worth it. I really liked how it told you exactly what to do on each day. I need that structure. I started my son on it before he was two. We started in Sept and he was 2 in Dec. Verbally he wasn't ready to do some things, but he enjoyed it anyway. Then we started over when he was 2 so that we could do the verbal stuff, but by then he already knew all his letters and letter sounds and how to count to 10 so I still had to adjust it. Oh well. I would use it again though and like I said, he really liked it. There is nothing like having your 2 yr old running through the house and yelling "Yay School!" at the top of his lungs when you pull out the book. I highly recommend it.