A Beka 3 year old preschool

weber

• Reviewed on Friday, September 19, 2008
  • Grades Used: 3 year old preschool
  • Dates used: 2007-2008
The first year I used the Letters and Sounds, learning numbers with Button Bear and the Animal Alphabet Friends CD. My son really enjoyed the books and songs. I supplemented the program with alphabet flash cards from the dollar store. At the end of the year we had met my goal of introducing my preschooler to numbers and letters. I found the books are colorful and age appropriate the whole year through. I did make a few changes to teach some other skills, such as cutting and gluing. This year I had the chance to look at the whole program and discovered that the thing that I felt were lacking the year before were covered in the parts of the program that I had not used. Namely the Alphabet flash cards, the language development cards and the art program.
This year I am using the language development cards and my children are really enjoying the activies. I don't use the alphabet flashcards because I am teaching both the 3 year old program and the K4 program together and I am using the flashcards from the K4 program. I have been able to easily combine the the two programs so that I can do most of my teaching of the two children together.
It takes about 1/2 hour a day to teach the whole program and about 10 or 15 min to prepare for the next lesson.
The Abeka program is mostly parent taught with the books being used to reinforce what you already taught them that day.
I would highly recommend this program to anyone looking to give their preschool children a enjoyable pressure free jump start on school.

Alison

• Reviewed on Monday, November 1, 2004
  • Grades Used: preschool
  • Dates used:
I was not all that impressed with this curiculum for 3 year olds - let me explain. Although it is very colorful and engaging, there is not that much to DO with each activity. It is probably best for the child that really, really needs colorful and engaging workbook pages to find them tolerable. A child who actually likes trying to color, cut, glue, etc. will likely get frustrated b/c they do just one or two little attempts at this per activity and them they are FINISHED!!! There is nothing else to do. As a result, my daughter wanted to do more than one page at a time - so we've speed through these books. Additionally, I have seen preschool workbooks at Sam's club and Barnes and Noble that were MORE economical and bigger - but also somewhat colorful and engaging (though not quite as much so as ABEKA). There is recognition of God and Christianity in the program, of course, which is not true of secular resources - but the Christian aspects of ABEKA 3 K are not very instructive - mostly just illustrations on workbook pages - I think reading a Bible Story book about Joseph and making a picture of Joseph in his coat of many colors (using scissors, crayons, glue, etc.) would be way more more effective than what ABEKA has your preschooler do -- which is pasting Joseph's coat of many colors on him (and you don't even get to color the coat - it is in color already). Finally, if you want your child to be aware of the sensitivies of people of other cultural and ethnic groups - watch out for very subtle problems with this in the curriculum (they are subtle indeed and unintentional I am sure). For example, the books present a few illustrations of native americans, asians and others in traditional attire that some might seem a little dated these days - and there is no mention of the cultural significance of any of the costumes or portrayals - of course, the program is not meant to teach anything about these cultural groups - the children of these cultural groups are just presented as illustrations for craft projects or worksheets. No caucasian children or black children are presented at all - which kind of makes you wonder why there are native american and asian children pictured at all?!?! It is like they are just caricatures or something. Anyway, it might give your child a false impression of these groups of people (how they dress or live) esp. if they have no other exposure to these cultural groups or info. about them. I think as Christians we need to respect other people's sensitivies to a point - in order to truely love them like Jesus loves people - so I was a little disappointed with this. Then there are the crafts - they are NOT child directed at all - it is very clear what the child is SUPPOSED to do -this might be good for teaching following directions - but it gets old fast! There is little room for coloring or being creative or critical thinking of any kind --- it is crafts for sure --- not art. Overall, I think this program is OK - but I was not as pleased with it as I thought I would be --- and it was rather expensive for what it was. C-