Power Glide French

Glenda Edwards

• Reviewed on Friday, December 9, 2005
  • Grades Used: 4-5th and high school
  • Dates used: 2003-2005
The elementary courses are a nice introductory program with interactive lessons. However, the high school courses are nothing but screen after screen of text with few graphics and little interaction. It is not an immersion program. Immersion programs do everything in the target language. PowerGlide is lacking in explanations. The students are supposed to understand the concepts intuitively. This is difficult when working by oneself on as computer screen with nothing but text. Little is included in the way of culture and what is there is on a sidebar. The cultural information is not tested in the lesson but is on exams. I worked for a publishing company that distributes PowerGlide and had to correct many mistakes before it went to print. If you are looking for Christian materials, you should know that PowerGlide is a Mormon company. The only way they are allowed to exhibit in some homeschooling conventions is their partnership with Alpha Omega Publishers. I spent over 28 years teaching foreign languages and I find few redeeming qualities about PowerGlide.

Nancy Mackenroth

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 9, 2003
  • Grades Used: PreK - 2
  • Dates used: 2001/02 school year
I thought Power Glide would be great -- fun stories to teach French, with fun workbook to follow along. My then 1st grader thought otherwise!! She loves everything else we do but after a month of Powerglide she became extremely resistant and I was not about to force a non-exxential topic !
In retrospect, I think the problem was a mismatch with her learning style. In researching foreign language study, there seem to be two schools of thought: immersion and structured grammar. The structured grammar is what we parents had in high school or college where one learns verb roots then verb conjugation etc. along with vocabulary (la puerta -- the door). The immersion method (power glide) throws in the foreign language words in the context of a story and in conversation using context clues, the meaning of the word is obtained, (In Power glide, you are in the story as the non-fluent speaker and are accompanied on an adventure by a bilingual child, so someone may come up to you and say Bonjour and your bilingual friend, says,Oh, he is saying hello,bonjour means hello.)
For my daughter this immersion method did not provide a foundation with which to build upon and the miscellaneous throwing in of vocabulary words (you go on adventures, so one chapter might be visiting a farm and another sailing on the ocean) or verbs was quickly forgotton (like from tues to thurs. !) She would have been better with a systematic approach that better built upon itself.
I will say that my then 3 1/2 year old who seemed to be flitting about the room in her normal play while the tape was playing, seemed to absorb this like osmosis! She could remeber please, thank you, and some of the other basic words introduced even when my normally very bright 1st grader could not. This just reinforced in my mind the uniqueness of each child and how differently they learn (and what works for one may or may not work for another !).

JillianShiflett

• Reviewed on Monday, October 8, 2001
  • Grades Used: Pre-K through4th
  • Dates used: August 2001 through Oct. 2001
Powerglide has given my children a new language! We are speaking french through-out the day.The accent on the tape is quite good and the exercises are great! I found the teacher's manual easy to understand and the children love to have french class! They always protest when it's time to stop-what more can you ask for?!