Phonics Pathways

Countrymom4228

• Reviewed on Saturday, September 6, 2014
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
Phonics Pathways is a very thorough phonics manual. My daughter went from not being able to read anything to grade 2 chapter books by the end of her K year. We made it through about 3 quarters of the book before our school year ended and will pick up where we left off after some review this year. Cons: The Dewey the Book worm character was an unneeded distraction. The course is dry!! My daughter hated it until I figured out how to make some games out of it and then she was a more willing learner. This is not a fun and games program and even the games you can buy as a supplement were boring but the program is probably one of the best for providing a solid phonics foundation. I came to the conclusion for my daughter that maybe Phonics will be one of those subjects that is just not her favorite. Based upon what I see now from her reading ability in relation to her peers and similarly aged family members, I'm sold! One other note: I felt the need to provide additional reading material with Bob Books even though I had the supplemental book that came with the Phonics Pathways. Perfect!

ErinD

• Reviewed on Saturday, January 25, 2014
  • Dates used: 2009
Many people love Phonics Pathways and have used it successfully, however, it did not work at my house. I tried it with two of my sons who were learning to read and it didn't last long before we switched to something else.

My boys were overwhelmed by how much text there is on the pages. When one is just starting out reading and the going is slow, it is quite daunting. "I have to read ALL that?" is what I heard many times.

I bought The Reading Lesson, which isn't perfect, but has lots of white space on the pages and my boys have liked it much better.

pemberley

• Reviewed on Tuesday, May 21, 2013
  • Dates used: 2012-2013
A friend recommended this book to me, and I have to admit that I was skeptical. I mean...it was just ONE book (with b/w pictures)...and when purchased used was no more than $6.
However, I am super excited to admit that my skepticism was ill-placed.

Of all the products my Kindergartener tried this year, Phonics Pathways was the most rewarding!

She did SO well in the beginning that by mid-book she took off reading on her own ... on a low second grade level!

PP taught her to decode words so well that she is reading beyond where we are in the PP book. It worked faster than I thought, too. :)

I'm super pleased and recommend this book to anyone who asks.

kakirby

• Reviewed on Saturday, November 17, 2012
  • Grades Used: Pre-K-K
  • Dates used: 2010-2011, 2012
We have used this book with both my ds and dd when they were each four years old. With my son, we just used it through the vowel sounds and consonant-vowel blends until it all clicked, and we switched to easy readers. He went to ps for kindergarten shortly afterward, so I put Phonics Pathways on the shelf.

This fall, we started homeschooling both him and dd, who is now four. When I realized that I didn't have a good phonics program for her, I pulled it back off the shelf. She was already reading CVC words, so I skipped the earliest stuff and started where she was. And WOW! It has helped her reading so much! Now granted, she does not think the book is the most exciting thing in the world, and we have had to slow down to about 1/2 a page a day. (I don't blame her; who really likes reading random lists of words? I definitely would not make her if I didn't see such wonderful results.) What I do to jazz it up is go to the library each week and get several early readers (we love Margaret Hillert books). Then, after she does her PP reading, I let her read from an actual book, which she loves. In the two months that we have used this strategy, she has gone from one Margaret Hillert book a week, to one Margaret Hillert book a DAY. I largely credit PP's systematic way of teaching with the way her reading has exploded.