Spectrum Spelling

leonana

• Reviewed on Wednesday, September 30, 2009
  • Grades Used: 2nd grade
  • Dates used: 2009
I waited until 3rd grade to begin spelling. I did try free programs, such as Websters and McGuffey, and I have also tried using copywork via the Charlotte Mason method. However, I found that I needed more instruction. I chose to use the 2nd grade book, since we had not done much spelling formally.

My daughter likes Spectrum Language Arts, and I had a read a good review of the Spelling from another homeschool mom, so I decided to try it. My daughter enjoys the workbook very much, and even works on it in her own time.

We go over the words to do a pre-test, and eliminate the ones she knows. She then copies the spelling words on the first page of the workbook. During the week, I have her do the activities. At the end of the week, I go over the words with her again, and we do another test.

I find that the activities do a good job of reinforcing the words in her memory. There are exercises that put the words in context, and they also have the child use the words in creative writing. I especially like the "Words Across the Curriculum," where the words are related to social studies or science topics. I really like that it isn't just a spelling list, but also reinforces other areas of study.

We have done about five lessons so far, and it seems to be working well. I especially love the price! I feel it is good value for the money.

camomx4

• Reviewed on Sunday, March 15, 2009
  • Grades Used: 1st-6th grade
  • Dates used: 2000-2009
I've used Spectrum Spelling for my three daughters and we all really like it. My girls love how colorful the pages are. They also like that the words are written in cursive in the upper elementary grade levels. The activities are fun and challenging, with funny stories and characters.
I love the review sections scattered throughout the book.
The price of the books is great, too!
I just wish Spectrum would make the books up to junior high level. :-)

yakreflexologist

• Reviewed on Sunday, November 30, 2008
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
This is our first year homeschooling and we are using several Spectrum books...spelling, vocab & language arts. I've been very pleased with Spectrum Spelling workbook. It's straight forward, inexpensive and offers a list of words (pg 1)with three more pages of work for the week for practice with the words without just boring drill. My 9 yodd is good with memorization but this workbook offers her a little challenge with thinking about how to put words into a narrative, etc. I've added a few things to it to get more out of it for us...this is our routine for the week:

1.Monday- New word list, copy in cursive all 15 words and alphabetize.
2.Tuesday- Write in cursive 5 of the 15 words and one of the cross curriculum words 5x each, do 2nd page for the lesson of the week.
3. Weds- Write in cursive the next 5 of the 15 words plus 2 cross curriculum words 5x each and do 3rd page for the week.
4. Thursday- Write in cursive the last 5 words for the week plus last cross curriculum word all 5x each and do 4th page for the week.
5. Friday- test and I give one unexpected bonus word that can trade out another word if she misses something. This has only happened twice.

It's pretty simple, easy to correct with answer key in the back. We've had no problem with it. I don't have her do the 'challenge activities' which are extra little things on some of the pages finding the words on the page with the same phonetic sound. I find that as unproductive busy work. Undecided on if I will use it next year, only because I'm looking at writing programs that have spelling coordinated with it. If I don't do one that is a coordinated curriculum, I would definitely use this one again, it seems to be just fine.

Homeschooley

• Reviewed on Friday, April 18, 2008
  • Grades Used: 3rd 5th and 6th!
  • Dates used: ?
No! This was a confusing Jumbled messy book. It is for the child that just wants the test and No cativities to go with it. It did not help to make them better spellers and it did NOT help my strugglers. It was Not a good book.