Christian Kids Explore Biology

Angelina

• Reviewed on Tuesday, January 3, 2012
  • Dates used: Fall 2011
We used this book in the fall and was able to finish it by December. We have used the Chemistry version of this series in the past and it is much better than the biology version! This seemed like it was scratching the surface of biology. It didn't have a lot of "meat" in it.

Unlike their other books (Physics- which we are using the 2nd half of this school year, Chemistry- outstanding, and Earth Science- haven't done yet), there are so many resources for biology that this would not be my first choice.

Last year we did Apologia Elementary Science, Zoology I & II, which goes into a lot of depth. Apologia has 5 elementary science books that focus on different aspects of biology- all the same subjects that is included in this book, which why it seems so superficial.

This is OK if you want a quick overview of biology. If you want more depth and a lasting understanding, I'd recommend one of the Apologia books.

mommy2gr8kids03

• Reviewed on Monday, August 23, 2010
  • Grades Used: 1st-2nd
  • Dates used: 2010
This is probably the WORST science program that we've used. I had heard such rave reviews about it so I thought I would try it out. My kids think Science is so boring now, when it used to be their favorite subject. I have since bought the "complete book of science" series and will stick with that through the grades. This book is either going up for sale or in the trash, whichever comes to mind first!

Terrible book!

Jen in TX

• Reviewed on Saturday, June 24, 2006
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2005
I know my kids are not always jumping up and down with anticipation when school time comes. But when "I" wanted to cry every time this book came out, the whole family knew it was time for something else.

This book was just...well...boring. There was not nearly enough information in the text which required me to find supplemental materials. Loads of them. The projects and experiments were mediocre -decorate cupcakes like animals would be popular among the 5 and under crowd but this book is not aimed at this age.

I does sell well on the used curriculum boards though. I have seen many copies get snatched up quickly. Mine included : )

Blessings on you and your homeschool!

Jen

lpanak

• Reviewed on Thursday, January 26, 2006
  • Grades Used: 1st, 5th
  • Dates used: 2005-2006
I read some great reviews on this curricum so I purchased it for my kids. I especially liked that I could tailor it to fit my three children ages 11, 10 and 6. Well, my 6 year old was bored to death, so we lost him pretty early on. I have gone on to do other things with him for science.
I feel like with my older kids they are not getting enough from this curriculum. There is a pretty big resource section in the book, but most of the books are not in my public library, and I spend alot fo time trying to find supplements. Also the chapters have little reading sections that I am supposed to read aloud to the kids, but are barely enough for the kids to really grasp. I was excited by the ideas of experiments, but there is very little there. The coloring pages are nice, but really have no teaching value. Some more diagrams to explain some of the concepts would have been nice. My kids are still totally confused about the Class system - Kingdom, phylum, class, order, species.
A pro: It was inexpensive.
I would only recommend if you have access to the books and videos recommended in the back and lots of time to delve into those. Otherwise, don't depend on this as a complete curriculum.