McRuffy Press Kindergarten Phonics & Reading

avidal

• Reviewed on Saturday, June 30, 2012
  • Grades Used: k
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
I loved Mcruffy SE Phonics and Reading. It is much more than a phonics program. Lessons include a new phonics rule weekly, as well as a new reader, sight words, spelling words, handwriting assignments, introduction to punctuation, new words to enhance vocabulary, and questions about readers to master reading comprehension. Teacher's manual make teaching easy. It is spiral method and very affordable. My two students (5 and 6) did well with this program. I just order grade 1.

2plustwins

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 24, 2012
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
My twin boys have just finished this curriculum. They started it right after they turned 5 years old. At first, we had to start slow because it seemed very challenging/frustrating for them. After about 2-3 months of using the curriculum, something seemed to click and the children began to really enjoy the readers, books, and the workbook pages. The readers and books have been the highlight of the curriculum for us. The stories engage my boys and make them laugh quite often. I initially used the extra hand writing work books but stopped after a couple of months because the boys seemed to do better with more creative assignments. The kids loved to make their own readers/books. I liked how with each book there would be questions about the content of the books and also an assessment at the end of each week. The assessment would help clarify what words the boys weren't as clear on and then I could review those rules again. I look forward to using McRuffy for my other two boys when they are ready for Kindergarten.

kiriclint

• Reviewed on Sunday, June 19, 2011
  • Grades Used: kindergarten
  • Dates used: 2009-2010
I was very pleased with this curriculum for our kinder school year. Like some have said it is advanced for kinder, and it does help if your child already knows their letters/phonics. However if they don't it is okay to use, you just won't be moving along as quickly.
Going into our kinder school year my son did already know his letters/phonics so it was easy getting going. He loved the books and the worksheets. The lessons are simple and the teachers manual is easy to go by. There is very little prep work.
We enjoyed the curriculum so much we are using it for our 1st grade curriculum :)

samiam

• Reviewed on Sunday, October 4, 2009
  • Grades Used: K
  • Dates used: September 2009-still
You should know up front this program is pretty advance for "K". Your child should know their letter and letter sounds already prior to starting this K program. The lessons introduce the letter sounds as you come to each letter, but it's a brief introduction and quickly moves on to blending with that sound. I could see this moving too fast for a student who came in without knowing their letter sounds.

So that being said, we are using the color "SE" K program for my DS6, who is technically a 1st grader, but this works perfectly for us.

Having used a few other phonics programs, I have to say I LOVE this. Everything you need is included, (including the brads that someone mentioned they couldn't find anywhere). It's colorful, it's interactive, the activities change from day to day. My child is interested in participating, which wasn't the case for prior phonics program that were less interactive.

You do get alot of extra "stuff" , ie the games, books, sliders, flashcards, which has been hard for me to keep organized, but I find if I look at the TM real quick the night before, I can pull out what I need for the next day. Once you get into the swing of it, it's great.

My child is showing great progress, and enjoys his daily activities.