MGraw-Hill SRA Explorations and Applications

christy7177

• Reviewed on Thursday, November 20, 2008
  • Grades Used: 7th grade
  • Dates used: 2008
My daughter is in the 7th grade.
She was in public school (until recently). She was doing alg 1 and failing miserablly. I was shocked as I worked with her. There was just so much material that she had not yet mastered (that should definately be mastered before alg 1). Some of the things that came up was "What is half of 100%?" and "What does 3/4 plus 1/2 equal?" She couldn't answer. I decided to test her to see where she was at in math. She couldn't do anything from fractions on.
The school refused to put her back a grade, tutor her... nothing. I decided to take her out for the year to try and catch her up.
I have looked into everything and bought so much stuff for Math. Manipulatives, MUS, TT, Passport to mathematics, Life Of Fred... along with websites, Cosmeo, Netflix's math videos...
But, this is one of my favorites. The Scope and Sequences was just perfect. Not too easy and not too advanced. It has real life problems (applied math), regular mechanical problems, math games and is a large colorful book. It pleasing just to look at and doesn't feel threatening like some math books can feel.
We are using the 6th garde version because I felt it best suited my daughter.
I am just extremely impressed with the book and very much recommend this! It is better then anything I have found so far.

janine

• Reviewed on Monday, May 5, 2003
  • Grades Used: 4th and 5th
  • Dates used: 2002-2003
This is an excellent curriculum, especially for homeschoolers. It uses a lot of games and life situations while asking the student to think for themselves.

Concepts are revisited in different contexts and word problems are integrated so well that students who have trouble with them soon stop noticing that they're even doing them!

Eventually the homeschooling community will discover this treasure. We've been using it for two years now and plan to continue. Readily available online used (so don't let the price of the Teacher's Edition stop you.)

L

• Reviewed on Sunday, May 4, 2003
  • Grades Used: 2nd and 5th Grades
  • Dates used: Nov-present day
I love MGraw-Hill kids!
My youngest uses the Little Critter version, my oldest's version is colorful, but more mature, (of course).
The books are fun, and seem to be thorough.
I can buy them, (inexpensively), at any Staples Store. (Be sure to get a Teachers Rewards card for Staples! )
I am very happy with this program.

Shannon in SC

• Reviewed on Tuesday, July 18, 2000
  • Dates used: 2000
This worktext is wonderful if you like colorful full curriculum workbook style math for your child. It is very similar to Scott Foresman Math which we used last year (1st grade level), but is is more challenging. The workbook has 160 daily lessons. With Scott Foresman there were 16 chapters of varying length so I was never sure how much to cover each day. SRA's daily lessons eliminates that problem. Teachers manuals are not necessary in the younger levels. We really like this.