Modern Curriculum Press Math

farmlady

• Reviewed on Friday, May 6, 2011
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2010-2011
This is a great math program. I like that it's mastery based, but also reviews concepts later. For example, my daughter learned addition in one chapter, than subtraction in the next. A few lessons later, she learned how the two were related. She was in public school for K5 and math did not seem to be her strong point. But after using this, she is really "getting" it. Now I tell her she's a math whiz :)

kmarie30

• Reviewed on Tuesday, October 6, 2009
  • Dates used: 2009
We just switched to MCP Math level D from Switched on Schoolhouse. MCP math is a good mastery program. I find it easy to teach MCP Match because works very similiar to how I was taught. My daughter has ADHD and learns best if she focuses on one concept at time.

ann @ home

• Reviewed on Wednesday, September 17, 2008
  • Grades Used: 1,3,4
  • Dates used: 2005-2008
I started with MCP math in 1st grade and used it for most of the year. The lessons were not overly long or overkill and the basic black/white pages were what my son preferred. It was a solid program but lacked a little more review that I wanted at the time and as a new homeschool mom I figured we'd find something else just as good with a little more review.

I tried Rod and Staff and Horizons over the next year and neither worked as well as MCP for my son. Rod and Staff had too much review and was quite dull and Horizons had distracting pages and seemed scattered. What a headache that year was!

We came back to MCP for 3rd grade and have been happy ever since. I have since learned my lesson, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;)

When there are areas that I think need more review I have found that math games, free on-line worksheets or our hand held math shark does the job just fine. The variety from the workbook is actually better for my son.

I agree that the teacher manual is handy to have and rather important at the higher grades. They are cheap on the used boards so worth the extra $10 or so.

I plan on sticking with MCP now until the last book!

kimh1966

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 16, 2008
  • Grades Used: 1st-4th
  • Dates used: 2005-2008
I have to say that I have tried other curriculums looking for something better but have always came back to MCP. It is not too "pushy" and is laid out well. The only con to this is that it does not have a lot of review. I have tried Alpha Omega, Math U See, Miquon Math, Saxon Math, and Abeka Math and the only other curriculum that DD enjoyed was Alpha Omega Math. The price is cheap enough and I always buy the Teachers Manual used for a few dollars. I will keep using this until DD gets to 7th grade and can't use it anymore.