Evan-Moor History Pockets

kuhlmoon

• Reviewed on Monday, September 21, 2009
  • Grades Used: 1st & 3rd
  • Dates used: 2009
This is a diamond in the rough... and what a cost effective product and a simple idea that our whole family enjoyed! We completed the Native American unit.

What I like most about this product as a teaching tool is that we were able to really dive into the subject, and learn about the 'way of life' during this time in history, not just facts. My kids tell me this has been their favorite unit, and they often pull out their booklets to look over all of the neat things they made. They even made up their own play on the subject with no prompting from me. In addition to the pocket activities and learning, I added many books to read to them from the library about this time in history.

The pocket activities can get tedious for those with not so great fine motor skills... there is a lot of coloring, cutting, pasting, etc. I simply did this part for my 1st grade son (this kind of stuff drives him crazy), and my 3rd grade daughter did all of her own, and loved it. I highly recommend the electronic version, so you can only print out what you want, single page or front/back, and you can weed out any activities you don't want or don't have time for.

My kids have asked for more, so we will complete the American History booklet in November, and I plan to order the Ancient Greece booklet for that unit as well.

AK_Mom4

• Reviewed on Sunday, May 10, 2009
  • Grades Used: 2nd
  • Dates used: 2009
We used Ancient Civilizations History pockets along with History Odyssey (Pandia Press). These were a huge hit with DD7!

This softcover book comes with sections for each civilization. Each section contains a set of activities - a short essay about the people, vocabulary words, and a couple of craft projects such as puppets or boats to build using simple materials.

OK - I'll admit it. I had a terrible time figuring out how to make the "pocket". I think the directions were ok, but I am craft-challenged. I found a YouTube video that walked thru how to make the pocket and that saved us. The instructions for the activities were great and DD had no problems with those.

These are inexpensive books (< $20), but they added a lot of fun to our reading about history.

hsmomforhim

• Reviewed on Tuesday, February 12, 2008
  • Grades Used: 1st-7th
  • Dates used: 2008
We used the Ancient Greece book along with Learning Adventures. Priimarily, the LA was used for our 4th and 7th grade students, but our 1st grade students did the History Pocket activities, too.

Previously we used the Ancient Egypt Pocket book and had a difficult time keeping all the papers straight and keeping them in the "pockets" we created.

For this time through with Ancient Greece, we used the copied papers in a lapbook. By using filing folders, we were able to arrange the copies however we wanted and there were no loose papers! It made our learning much more fun. The kids wouldd color the pages while I read aloud.

jeffchastain

• Reviewed on Sunday, April 1, 2007
  • Grades Used: 3rd, 5th
  • Dates used: 2007
We used Ancient Greece to go hand in hand with our Learning Adventures Unit Study. I must say that it added so much fun to our already in depth study. The kids and I loved it! I bought one book and made copies for my children. They really enjoyed seeing all of their work in their pocket. The instructions are precise and extremely easy to understand. I hightly recommend History Pockets to enhance any study!

Blessings,