K12

Goodsons

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 20, 2016
  • Grades Used: K-3rd
  • Dates used: 2012-Current
I'll start off on a positive note. K12-OHVA "used" to be a nice homeschool. They have a great curriculum so far. I've been a "learning coach" for 4 years now. My kids have went from K-3rd grade. I really, really hate to leave OHVA.

Howeverrrrrr.......

This year (3rd Grade) is a huge testing year. I held my son back to repeat 2nd grade last year because I knew he wasn't ready for all the testing yet. He's on the Autism Spectrum and has an IEP. My two daughters are well above average on all testing so I thought it would be a good idea to bring my son back to repeat 2nd with my oldest daughter. It was a plan anyway. He did do much better the 2nd go-round but then again, he'd already had everything once and you just can't repeat every grade.

So, we made it through 2nd grade (and 1st Grade for my youngest daughter). Now we're into the dreaded 3rd grade. State Mandated this and State Mandated that. yadda yadda yadda. Keep in mind that the entire reason we pulled them out of Brick & Mortar and even Christian School was the fact that my oldest son is on the Spectrum and has a terrible time in large class environments....so I've stopped working and giving him a lot of one-on-one attention by "homeschooling."

This is not homeschooling. This is a state regulated public school and you/I are here as guides. That's still fine....up to this point. But since my oldest didn't test well enough on MAP (naturally), they have labeled him as "Synchronous" (whatever the hell that means) and now he's required to be in 3 hours of Class Connect sessions with 1 teacher and 50 other kids online. FIFTY. He's a 3rd grader on the spectrum and they think teaching him by some sort of powerpoint lesson is the way to go?

Aside from the fact that we pulled him out of B&M because 20-30 students was too much, his IEP (that K12 themselves assembled) also says that he needs to be taught in a one-on-one environment which is ME. I'm here. Happy to do it. But they have essentially pulled him away from me and stuck him in an online classroom with 50 other kids for 3 hours a day. Headphones on and in la-la land. He gets absolutely nothing out of it.

Then, I'm left to re-teach everything he should have learned but with three hours less time gone out of the day. We don't get done until 6-8pm. Then we work with him some more at bedtime. Homeschooling shouldn't be this way. Schooling in general shouldn't be this way. Not only can I not keep that pace, but I've got another 3rd grader who's well-above average that I can't find what to do with for 3 hours while my boy is in his goofy Class Connect sessions. She's being punished too.

My options are to pull them all out and find a curriculum. Or, since I do like the OHVA curriculum up to this point, I might also try just pulling Will out which would get rid of this synchronous class-connect state-mandated disaster.....and just go back to teaching him and my daughter under her curriculum and just printing out tests/worksheets for him on the side. We'd have to start paying for his Speech & Occupational therapies out of pocket but at this point it would be well worth it.

Sorry for the rant. Just my 2-cents.

KCinKC

• Reviewed on Wednesday, August 17, 2016
  • Dates used: 2016
We transferred our special needs son to KSVA Kansas State Virtual Academy mid year. His brick and mortar school was passing him through and we were very worried about him falling behind. When we entered the school they performed a Scantron test that did assess areas of weakness in Math and Reading only. Nothing was done to assess weakness in writing, science, or history. The test did give valuable data and we were able to use it to develop his iep. This year the school has done away with the Scantron testing. There is no way to identify weakness in 4th or 5th graders. Diebel assessments in 4th and 5th grade is only done on the teacher discretion. The turnover at the school is quick. The curriculum is not accessible to anyone with a dyslexia diagnosis or a print disability. The teachers are supposed to provide a guide so that the parent can collect data in areas a child is struggling. They never do this. They do not use any proven interventions in their one on one sessions. I find it so interesting that the government is finally looking into these schools. http://www2.ed.gov/policy/speced/guid/idea/memosdcltrs/dcl--virtual-schools--08-05-2016.pdf

Zoeyjoe

• Reviewed on Friday, August 12, 2016
  • Grades Used: 6th grade
  • Dates used: 2016
So I thought enrolling my son who is autistic in a home school program would be great. Because he was bullied a lot last year and it was miserable for him. So prior to class starting I started calling three weeks in advance to be sure. His accommodation were in place and that his IEP old be followed. I was lied too by Mrs. McDonald th a team my son would continue to be self contained just as he was in regular school and I had nothing to worry about. I emailed over ten teachers and administration and it was all in vain. Two days into class starting her and Mrs. Green her boss called to tell me my son would have to be put in regular classes on grade level. What are you kidding me. He is a special needs child who has been self contained. None of that mattered he IEP didn't matter. They do not follow the educational law and rules. All special needs parents run away from these people. Staff horrible and they have garbage in charge of the special needs department. They should have a message that states if your child is special needs. Do not apply to Louisiana virtual acafemy. We will not accommodate them

Victoriahawkins

• Reviewed on Monday, August 8, 2016
  • Dates used: 2016
HORRIBLE school, highly DON'T recommend. I have been trying to enroll my daughter since April (before summer even started) they just approved her in mid July. In July when they said she was finally approved we had ordered a computer and they said we should receive it in a week or so. After three weeks of calling them everyday they finally told us they haven't even ordered us a computer, school is one week away and they haven't even ordered us one yet & even if they did we would have to wait 7-10 business days before receiving it which would mean she would miss the first days of school. I am beyond frustrated, I have just decided to in-enroll her, even though we spent MONTHS dealing with this. I don't know what to do now. I just don't want anyone, getting involved or waste their time on this terrible school like we did.
12345678910...