K12

KM86

• Reviewed on Thursday, January 22, 2015
  • Grades Used: 3rd grade
  • Dates used: 2014-2015
we had a horrible experience with K12.
My once A honor roll student is now a failing student.
No matter how hard he works, he can't keep up with his classwork with all the projects, research papers, and class connects. Those all take up his time and leaves him with no time to do classwork/homework.

He was told that he would be able to work at his own pace--not true. We were told a lot of things hat were not true. We don't get to leave the house during the school week because he always has a class connects. Even during holidays when he's got off, he still has to be there for class connects.

They have accused my son of being too stupid to be able to do the STAAR test. I have given him STAAR questions and he has passed all of them. My son is completely stressing oht. No matter how much we help him, he can't catch up. He had a "week" to catch up on everything and he submitted a ton of work. His teacher said that he had failed to submit anything in. Plus they added more classes to his plan. They are sinking him instead of helping him.

Forget about parental rights. The Special Ed board just does whatever they want and not take you into account. This whole program is horrible. It's perfect if you want you overachiever to start stressing and failing. The teacher doesn't even help.

breakindabullet

• Reviewed on Friday, January 16, 2015
  • Grades Used: 5th-6th
  • Dates used: 2012-2015
I have tried many online home school options and this is one of the worst. I would definitely not recommend this curriculum. They do not give you all of the books that are required to complete the grade, so you have to skip about 25% of the year. The science experiments fail every time and some of the materials they require for the experiments are very difficult to get. In vocabulary they have words that are synonyms in the same lesson so it is extremely difficult to get good grades. The spelling stops at the 5th grade. The composition is very easy.The math has the same subjects each grade, just like the science. The American History and literature are probably the best subjects but still have questions that they don't teach you. K12 is also very glitchy and shuts down in the middle of assesments. I would give this online school a 2 out of 10.

NetraB

• Reviewed on Tuesday, January 6, 2015
  • Grades Used: K-1st
  • Dates used: 2013-2015
Being a stay at home mom I have a lot of time on my hands. I decided to home school my oldest daughters (age 7 now) when she was 3. At that age we started with letters, numbers, sounds, shapes, ect. By the age of 4 she was reading and writing. I put her in a Free pre school for 4 year olds in Georgia, so that she could be around children and because I had just had her sister so I could not play with her and be with her as much as before.

while in pre school she begin to read better and better and write full sentences. So I thought that home-school for kindergarten would be great for her since she was so far ahead.

I put her in K12, the enrollment was actually super easy and fast for me. They sent all books needed, and I liked it.

But I did not like that it was so remedial. I thought that she would be able to skip all the stuff she already knew but you can't really skip it you have to complete the online lessons to move on. So she had to sit through the online lessons for the entire year learning the sounds of the letters. I thought that it would progress but it never did. All she learned in phonics was the sounds. Nothing else. That's it. She hated it. For math all it did was teach counting. the whole year. At the end of the program there was about 2 or 3 lessons that introduced adding.

I thought that first grade would be better. But still very remedial. I dont like that all lessons are on the computer. The vocabulary is all done online and is very easy. My 3 year old daughter remembers the meanings just from watching with my first grader. I give her a lot "home made" lessons just to make sure that she is actually learning and not just clicking through pictures.

I think that K12 is okay if you are a parent that just wants your child to know the basic and get credit for completing school. If you want them to be challenged even a little bit this is not for you. I have had my child's teacher tell me that my daughter reads on a 3rd grade level and she still wont help me get her into an online program that is on her level at least for reading and writing. I will finish this year out and sign her up using a different curriculum and teach her a way that suits her better.

If she keeps going this way I think she will get too bored and not like learning as much as she did.

JC780

• Reviewed on Monday, December 1, 2014
  • Dates used: 2012-2014
I started using k12 for some personal issues and I was missing out in public school. It was great right till about my first year of high school. The teachers are just incredibly rude, the entire program closes almost all the time, if you get a hold of tech support they just conveniently tell you to purchase a new computer (Mine is brand new). Let's not even talk about their ads. They do not work with you, they do not let you work at your own pace, and the teachers are unable to help if your course is not working. And if your course is not working they tell you to contact tech support and I already told you what tech support does. I live in a very violent area and that was on reason why I decided to do k12. I would risk going back to public school honestly. Do not use k12...save yourself from mountains of stress.
12345678910...