K12

kbrier

• Reviewed on Wednesday, October 15, 2014
  • Grades Used: K & 1st
  • Dates used: 2013-present
We started using the k12 curriculum when we started virtual schooling. My boys loved that for some lessons they were able to learn things from computer games or animation, instead of me talking & having them do worksheets all day. The Virtual School we were attending had some issues with addressing problems in a timely manner which was the fault of the school & the teachers they employed. NOT k12's fault. We switched to our local district's virtual school & were given options of curriculums we could use. We chose to keep k12. Some of the k12 subjects can be a bit dry but I am able to alter them a bit to get the objectives learned while still keeping it fun. I have looked at other curriculums & I honestly felt like a lot of the subjects were 'dumbed down' compared to k12. K12 curriculum can be challenging but I feel it exceeds most standards set for grade levels. The only issue I have with k12 curriculum is Spanish. It is honestly the worst foreign language course I have ever seen! It looks very cheaply made & my kids don't seem to be retaining any words they are supposed to know.

kutiepie412

• Reviewed on Tuesday, October 7, 2014
  • Dates used: 3 years
DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT ENROLL YOUR KIDS INTO THIS "SCHOOL". It is the worst school ever if you are an a,b student you will become and b,c student. BUT THAT IS STILL NOT THE PROBLEM
the problem is when you get older into older grades like 8th grade you become in danger of failing and the teachers all they do is send
you messeges in wich they call "KMAILS" telling you that you are in danger of failing. OR reset your lessons if they think you keep retaking them as rapid fire retakes. and you will not learn properly using these slides and a couple of books that they send you worst school ever promise.

Desiree Green

• Reviewed on Monday, October 6, 2014
  • Dates used: Sept 2014
This program is a disaster for my student. I am so relieved to read these reviews. I have a straight A student. Maybe this program is designed to just pass you through, not excel?
It took about 6 weeks to enroll. That was tons of frustrating nonsense, including several hours on hold. By then there was only one day to choose his classes. He doesn't even have the right classes and the counselor said they don't offer physics, now the home room teacher says they definitely do. Even though they allowed a week to orient, orientation to this amazingly complex and fragmented website, the extent of orientation was "take a look around" and "these are not mandatory". They are constantly acting very blasé about the whole thing. 15 year old boys don't benefit from being told not to take something seriously.
So, four weeks in, I see he has all c's after several very poor test scores. Just a day before his home room teacher had assured me everything was great!
So we wasted almost a month. We have both cried almost everyday since I took over orienting him to this site and have had to cancel clients to be right here with him. Otherwise the technical difficulties constantly happening are so frustrating to him that he can't learn anything from the incredibly boring and idiotic slides passing as "school." I can't even begin to list the number of problems this program needs to overcome for it to be worthy of state funding.

MeganB14

• Reviewed on Monday, September 22, 2014
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT ENROLL YOUR KID IN THIS SCHOOL. I've been a student in k12 for 1 year now and I HATE it. My mom is now enrolling me in the 8th grade again because I failed 8th grade with k12, which is very humiliating for me. I used to be a straight A and B student but now I am a straight F student. The teachers expect you to answer their calls right when they call you but they answer your calls 1 week later. They also will lock your kids assignments if you don't attend an orientation or if you do not have a conference with them over the phone. They basically fail your kid by not letting them do their work if you don't do something they ask of you. My mom COULD NOT attend any of their orientations because they would make them at 10am and my mom is at work by that time. You know what they told my mom? They said she could take off work to go watch one of their 15 minute orientations.

Now regarding the enrollment, they took 2 MONTHS to enroll me, I missed 1 full month of assignments because of them. They counted that 1 month against me when it was ultimately their fault. So that made me very behind on schoolwork from the beginning.

Whenever I would ask my teacher a very important question regarding my assignments and the work they assign they would email me back 3 days later, by that time I had figured out how to do it myself. Honestly I don't even know what the homeroom teachers' job is. All she did was tell me I was failing but whenever I would try and make-up work she would reset EVERYTHING I made-up.

I have never been this stressed out in my life! I joined k12 thinking I would have a shorter school day and less stress but boy was I wrong. I spend 10, yes 10 HOURS on school work.

Please don't put your child through this. Because of this program I have to repeat the 8th grade which is very embarrassing for me. My mom and I are currently trying to get this school SHUT DOWN. I'm done.
12345678910...