K12

kklayy

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 16, 2014
  • Grades Used: High School
  • Dates used: 2014
WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS SCHOOL. Our family used this online school for our high honor student and it was very irrelevant to her. It was very time-consuming and the time she had to spend on her work was unrealistic.
DO NOT TAKE A FOREIGN LANGUAGE. Foreign language was IMPOSSIBLE through the program. The program they used was too confusing and the teacher's explanation was not helpful at all. None of the lessons gave a clear and understandable way to learn the language.
They also really lack a lot of effort to get urgent papers done quickly. It took a month and a half just to get serious transferring paperwork done for us. They are really lazy when it comes to serious business.
It is just too time consuming, and there is a lack of understanding from the staff.

laura291

• Reviewed on Thursday, September 4, 2014
  • Dates used: 2014
I wanted to try this program for my son by trying only one class. I had read many bad reviews, but really liked the idea of an online school for him. So, I signed him up for Latin just to try the program. If all went well, I'd sign him up for a full course load the following year. I paid for the class, but didn't receive any login information for about two weeks, I guess because the class didn't start for two weeks. But I expected login information sooner. The logins worked for my parent account, but my son's login never showed his assignments. I contacted K12 three times, and was worried he was going to fall behind. They kept telling me that when they logged in as him, they could see his classes and assignments, and there was nothing they could do because clearly this was user error. I am very good with computers (I'm a computer programmer) and it's not user error. So, I contacted K12 for a refund. In order to get a refund, you have to go through two different departments, and then a third has to contact you later on to confirm you want a refund. Canceling of a class if equally difficult. I have been stuck in the "hoop jumping" for seven months now, and each month I am charged another $29.95 for a class that we are not using. I wouldn't touch this program with a 10 foot pole!

Margaretwitt

• Reviewed on Thursday, September 4, 2014
  • Grades Used: Kindergarten
  • Dates used: September 2014
K12 is by far the most misleading "Homeschool" Independent Study program!! After weighing the options as they describe them, we chose to purchase the Independent Study option with the 12 month payment plan. Each course cost $22.00 per month in addition to the cost of each course's material kits and required materials. These monthly charges weren't described and you are required to chose the payment plan or to pay in full for each subject to be able to purchase the Independent Study courses. I just assumed that these additional cost were to cover the actual subject materials required and the kits were the tools necessary to be able to supply all of the additional materials that would be called for throughout the year. WRONG! The so-called Independent study still requires that your student, as well as you the parent, to login online to take tests, record attendance, as well as other homeschooling activities that should be able to be completed In-Home without having internet access...Like an actual Homeschool program works! Why should a parent teaching their child through homeschooling, paid in full for the offered kits, need to have anything to do with online activities to report to and through the company? Especially since I live in Texas and we are FREE to be the TEACHER!
As much money as K12 charges for each course kit, every test, every assignment, as well as planners and bookkeeping should be available and included without online activity! So, basically if you purchase these high priced kits, you are NOT getting everything you need to actual be doing Independent Homeschooling. If you choose to purchase the courses you have the option to cancel the monthly payments but you will not have any tests to administer to your child to track their progress. It's shameful!
K12 is NOT a true Independent Study Homeschooling program! Someone really needs to expose the truth about this company for what it really is.
Customer service is also a SERIOUS ISSUE! While I spoke with the rep he became extremely rude as I calmly explained my concerns and attempted to get the above information clearly explained to me. I had asked for him to supply a tracking number so that I would know when to expect my son's materials to arrive. The answer to that, they ship through UPS but do NOT have tracking numbers for the shipment! Really?
When I was finally able to drag the above information out of the rep, I explained that I did not want nor need the online portion of their program. He then told me because I had chosen the option of the monthly payment plan I would be required to pay a $175 cancellation fee for the service if I wanted to keep the materials I had ordered.
I asked about the 30 day money back guarantee K12 has plastered on their website and his response was, "Well you should have called us over the phone to purchase the courses and asked us to do a month to month charge. Then you could have cancelled without any fines."
I'm not sure where to go from here other than going ahead and sticking it out this school year and learning from this huge mistake. I will NEVER recommend this company to anyone thinking about homeschooling. K12 is a huge Scam and needs to be either shut down or they need to fully and clearly explain that they are NOT an Independent Homeschooling Company.

wnatali1975

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 19, 2014
  • Dates used: 2014
I wish I would read this forum first before I tried to enroll my child with K-12. The reason I wanted to enroll was that I have to go oversees to take care of ill grandparents. I was concerned if tuition will be free. But the CSR made me sure that it will be free and it will take me only 1-3 business days to be enrolled. NOT THE CASE. At least 1 week it take them to "proceed your documents" not even approved! After that that they still should approve your application, after that I need to take online conference. I signed up for this conference and THEY CANCELLED IT notifying MY by EMAIL 4 hours before my conference time. I took off work to be at 2 pm. When I called no one could give me any reasonable answer.
Foremost, my child will not be able start the school until I did this conference and closest time was now in 2 weeks ahead! And after that I will need to wait 10 more business days for books/materials to be send to me.
And in the end, another CSR told me with a rude voice that we can't get free tuition because we will stay 2 months oversees.
OVERALL: Very NOT ORGANIZED ORGANIZATION. DON'T USE K-12.Try to do on your own or just send your kids to public school. VERY DISAPPOINTING AND canceled the enrollment.
12345678910...