Math Relief

Alise

• Reviewed on Tuesday, June 21, 2005
  • Dates used: 2004-2005
I understand Algebra! I knew I wanted a video math program for my son's Algebra, and I am glad I decided on this one.

Although not flashy, Mr. Firebaugh explains Algebra clearly. His experience in teaching is obvious, as he often points out areas students are confused about and explains them.

The program consists of the video/DVDs, in 3 phases (sections), which are Mr. Firebaugh writing on a white board and explaining the problems. You can buy "good" quality or "better" quality VHS tapes, or the DVD version. I think I have the good tapes, and they are fine.

There is a teacher's manual with answers, and reproducible student pages. I copied the student pages and had the spiral bound. Your student does NOT have to copy the problems on a separate page, but can write on the student pages. (Some of the pages should have more white space for working out the problems, especially if your student has big handwriting.)

I plan to use Math Relief Algebra II when we are finished with Algebra I.

Lisa

• Reviewed on Monday, February 9, 2004
  • Dates used: 2004
Keyboard Enterprises has the best program for Algebra. We tried Saxon and did fine in the beginning, but found that we didn't get enough practice with new lesson the further you move into the book. Keyboard Enterprises has a program called Math Relief on VHS. The instructor stands at a white board and gives an easy to understand explanation. He goes step by step with each example, and goes slow enough for the student to follow along. He explains why he is doing the problem in the order it is performed so the student understand more than just how to do it, but why. The price for the first 49 lessons is fairly low and that comes complete with the video, a workbook for the student and the teacher key. The teacher key is great because it is more than just the answer. It has EVERY problem worked out in detail. This is great so you can see where you went wrong in a problem and can see how to correct the mistake. The second video with the rest of the course is the same price. Their web site says if your student completes the third tape (which is the final tape) then they have completed Algebra I and II. I can't wait for them to have geometry available.

Jill

• Reviewed on Saturday, April 20, 2002
  • Dates used: 2001-2002
This is taught on video by a retired math teacher. It comes with reproducible lessons and solutions. It can cost as little as 120.00, depending on whether you purchase it all at one time or in increments. It comes in 3 phases. He is so thorough that my son rarely needs my help and I have yet to use the solutions. I struggled with Algebra as a teen and I blew through this course in less than 2 months. I can't believe how easy he makes math!!! I HIGHLY recommend this course!