Oak Meadow Curriculum

Click for more information about Oak Meadow Curriculum

• Reviewed on Tuesday, December 29, 2015
  • Grades Used: 3, 4, 5
  • Dates used: 2014, 2015, 2016+
We have used Oak Meadow for several years now. It provides excellent curriculum framework for gifted children. You can easily adopt it for more challenges if needed, and the components that encourage interaction with the outdoors and nature are refreshing. There is a positive, hands on approach which suits our children well. I will add more curriculum details later, but for now I just want to let others know who are searching for a good homeschooling framework (especially if you have a gifted child), that this one provides a wonderful spine. You won't feel that your children are going to miss important aspects of an education.

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 12, 2014
  • Grades Used: 4, 5 and 6 (currently)
  • Dates used: 2011-present
VERY hands on curriculum and very time consuming for the parent but I can't complain.
My son has ADHD with anxiety and LD (dysgraphia) and I pulled him out of school mid way grade 2. That said, I experimented with several curricula and pieced together my own before finding Oak Meadow. Oak Meadow provides the creative projects that I was struggling to piece together on my own. They provide the reading list, choices of activities for you or your child to use. What you are purchasing is a complete syllabus that you can use how you wish. I don't use it in a Waldorf, but more in a CM manner using the book suggestions and others as my "living books" library.
We are honestly having so much fun with this curriculum while learning at the same time. You can add or subtract as needed. Personally, we've added time lining, extra math through Saxon, brain pop or whatever works for the lesson at hand.
This year we are registered for grade 6 as I felt it important for middle school. The jury is still out on enrollment and although I know it would be great for high school I'm not so sure about middle school, so I'll have to do an update at the end of the year. There is a lot of scanning and emailing so far.
UPDATE 2015: We are halfway through the school year and I have to say that I am overall very satisfied with Oak Meadow School and it's phenomenal curriculum. My son has become a very independent learner over this past year. I have seen great growth and aside from a few projects and of course checking up on things, my time has been freed up a bit this year. That's not the curriculum itself but the maturing of my son that is causing this.
Anyway,I can't say enough about the curriculum. I have seen complaints that there is not enough required reading for grade six. While this grade is lighter on "required" reading, it is very rich in supplemental reading. My son has been excited about the reading in this program since grade four and is now a "reader rabbit." He read the Roman and Greek Myths book about 10 times….wouldn't put it down. We are this week beginning a 4 week unit on the middle ages and WOW…I just reserved 24 books at my local library that were on the supplemental reading list!!!! Although this is a Waldorf inspired program, if you are a fan of Charlotte Mason, it can be adapted to fit your style…any style for that matter. The books are a SPINE for what you teach and project ideas abound so you don't have to be registered.
We, however, are registered. I felt that to be important now that we are in middle school. My son was beginning to put things off last year in grade 5 and we needed some accountability. It works!!! He now HAS to finish the work and so he does. His teacher has a degree in special needs and she is letting us strike a balance between writing (Waldorf preferred) and typing (he has dysgraphia). We have found that balance and pass in our weekly units every Friday. You actually have to pass in every two weeks, but I prefer doing it this way. The feedback, as others have stated, is a little on the late side, but I hear that gets much better in high school, where it really counts. However, the feedback is important to my son, and that is EVERYTHING!!!! He likes to see what his teacher thought of his work lesson by lesson. We save everything lesson by lesson as well in a banker's box so that we can go back and take a look if needed.
I don't know what it is about this program, but my son HATED to write!!!!! Now, there are many times when he is EXCITED about it!!! He currently has to do a research report on castles (he was able to pick from a variety of topics) and he said to me, "Mom, I am excited about castles!!!"
That says it all. We will more than likely re-register with Oak Meadow. I do feel as if I'm still homeschooling and not "schooling at home" as some like to say. We supplement where I feel it's needed, the curriculum allows for loads of flexibility. I am able to have my son working a grade ahead in math, all the while working to stay on level in the subjects that require writing and give him the extra help he needs in that area.
As far as the writing load being too much, I have to disagree. My son has dysgraphia and is handling the workload just fine with accommodations in place in our home. I don't think it's too much and there are no workbooks or busywork in addition. Just thoughtful writing assignments and projects. With two children that have gone through high school and one that's about to graduate from college…..let me say this…they DO have to write….and well!!!
BTW, this is an accredited program with transcripts. Can't say enough about this curriculum and school. We're hooked!!!!

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 13, 2013
  • Grades Used: 11, 12
  • Dates used: 2009-2013
I have only used Extracurricular subjects from Oak Meadow, not an entire grade just to clarify.

We have loved, loved the Extracurriculars for high school! My daughter took the Photography and 2 art/drawing courses and my son will be using their Health. Oak Meadow is top notch at this level, with assignments and the manuals written to the student at an appropriate maturity level. The topics are not too young or too innocent as to be uninspiring as we have found with other homeschool publishers. The extracurriculars have 36 weeks of lessons, usually one lesson a week that could be done in a day or spread out over several.

• Reviewed on Thursday, August 8, 2013
  • Grades Used: 3rd and 5th
  • Dates used: 2013
I love Oak Meadow's approach to everything! Unfortunately, it doesn't work for my boys. I agree with the previous poster that fit is everything, and that's true for any curriculum you use. You want to tweak as little as possible, though it's almost impossible not to tweak a little. What's funny is that once we got started with Oak Meadow we ended up migrating back to what we loved before some seriously chaotic events in our lives occurred. So, we're back where we started many years ago, which is actually a less expensive and more fun route for my boys. Oh, well. I've tried ALL (not kidding) the boxed curriculum out there, and I now know we're not a boxed curriculum kind of family. I did pick up a few things that have helped me be a better teacher by using Oak Meadow, for example, I love their approach to cursive, the imitation approach, rather than workbook, and it works! No more handwriting workbooks for us! I also LOVE The Heart of Learning. It's now my favorite parenting book. EVERY parent should read it. So, I learned from the curriculum, but I am having to return it, which actually makes me kind of sad.