NorthStar Academy On-Line

Caleb Zuckerberg

• Reviewed on Thursday, May 24, 2018
  • Dates used: 2015-2018
This school did not fulfill my parents or my expectations. The faculty members and teachers were not well-trained, nor did they have a consistent drive to support their student body. A high number of teachers did not respond to school email, grade assignments on time, or give adequate feedback.

For numerous classes, I had to ask the teacher what they meant to say in their instructions, as many of the details were not well-written. Nearly every teacher used incorrect grammar in various examples of their assignments or exams.

For a number of my classes, the teachers' inability to grade and communicate within three business days caused me fall behind schedule.

The website is, lack of better words, childish and the assignments for each class seemed rushed, unprepared, and sloppy.

Though I may have many negative things to say about NorthStar, they did have one email resource (First Class), which was efficient for communicating with the student body and the teachers for all of my classes.

A few notable examples of teachers had put thought and effort into their classes. History, most math classes, and the general sciences were taught with progressional, competent teachers.

I tried to help my school through detailed reviews of each course, yet I cannot say that the school has made any improvements.

I was unable to enjoy major holidays and vacations because of how far behind NorthStar Academy had put me. I greatly considered leaving, but most schools were not as flexible as NorthStar or accredited. NorthStar negatively impacted my social life and sleeping hours. For months, I had spent entire days never leaving home so that I could catch up on my studies and wait impatiently for my teachers to grade and assess my work.

The school program, overall appearance, and its faculty can be simplified as being unprofessional and subpar.

Rachelle

• Reviewed on Sunday, December 31, 2017
  • Grades Used: 9th/12
  • Dates used: 2016
Northstar was the WORST school choice we could have made. My son was consistently locked out of school, teachers were unresponsive, and the administration is as from Christian values as a school can be. After being locked out, they tried to make us pay for the same classes again. When we refused, they cancelled his classes and said we owed $1500. We of course refused to pay it. Northstar then sent the fraudulent balance to a collection agency and directed the collection Agency to put it on my Credit Report. My husband handled everything. I never signed anything, never even spoke to the school via phone or email. It’s still on my report today, 2 years later, even though they said they removed it. Had to hire an attorney.

So STAY AWAY FROM NORTHSTAR ACADEMY, it’s NOT A CHRISTIAN SCHOOL AND THEY DO NOT WANT TO TEACH YOUR CHILD!!

Jason

• Reviewed on Tuesday, December 5, 2017
  • Dates used: 2015
Fraudulent school and the farthest thing from a Christian school as one can be. My son is Autistic, they locked him out of classes when he couldn’t attend, then charged us for an entire year of school that he was locked out of. Then they sent it to collection and put it in our credit report for )$1500. That’s $1500 for classes we never received or used do to a medical condition. We couldn’t even get in the classes. Sound Christian to you? They refused to discuss or acknowledge mistakes. We had to hire an attorney and start litigation, and dispute it on our credit. They also refused to send his transcript when we had to choose another school. Stay away, this is not a Christian school, it’s a money grab and they went out of their way to hurt my son.

mgb

• Reviewed on Monday, November 14, 2011
  • Grades Used: Grades 5 - 9
  • Dates used: 2007-2011
I would HIGHLY recommend NorthStar Academy Canada. I would encourage any parent who wants to educate their children at home but is overwhelmed with trying to make sure their child is following the Alberta cirriculum requirements to look into NorthStar. I found the lessons to be well put together and based solidly on Christian beliefs. The teachers were encouraging and always had something good to say that encouraged and uplifted my boys. The teachers were quick to respond to any questions we had. The lessons are well laid out and easy to follow. It really was a great experience for both of my boys.