North Atlantic Regional High School

cldade55

• Reviewed on Wednesday, June 12, 2013
  • Dates used: 2009-2012
I home schooled my daughter after she was bullied out of middle school. She is brilliant, she has an anxiety disorder and she made the huge social mistake of coming out in 7th grade.

NARHS allowed her to do a mix of college level and high school work for high school credit, forced her to have a normal high school curriculum, not just the things she liked, and generally helped me prepare her for college.

Will all schools take the diploma? I don't know. I filed the home school supplement to the common application with the transcript as an attachment for some schools and simply submitted the transcript to others. The transcript not only listed her college credit examinations but reported her official scores, simplifying the application process considerably.

She was admitted to several schools with substantial academic scholarships on the basis of her NARHS diploma and her SAT scores (which were very good). She will be attending the school that admitted her to their honors program with a full tuition scholarship. The admissions officer at that college told me that the NARHS documentation requirements (he checked) and transcript made it easy to evaluate my home schooled daughter's application for admission and scholarship purposes just like any applicant who had attended a regular high school.

If a school does not take the NARHS transcript, you can always submit the course portfolios you developed for NARHS to the school. I scanned every year's portfolio into a pdf, just in case.

vbyoda

• Reviewed on Tuesday, September 6, 2011
  • Grades Used: 6th - 12th
  • Dates used: 2005-2011
Our daughter just graduated from NARHS, and we have used their program since starting home schooling at 6th grade. NARHS is an excellent program for what it is intended to do which is provide structure to your home school curriculum and help you deliver a verifiable home school curriculum and transcript.

The tools, forms, logbook, etc. are excellent and basically can take the novice home parent and get you up and running in a excellent system.

Our daughter was accepted this year at the University of Missouri, UCLA, and Hillsdale College all of which were provided her NARHS transcript as the only evidence of her high school career.

I highly recommend NARHS to all home school families.

shosty

• Reviewed on Saturday, September 25, 2010
  • Dates used: 2010
We have been very, very disappointed by NARHS. We paid the $525 for senior year of high school, and have received few services in return. (Our child had a GED but wanted a diploma)

We received no evaluation of our child's transcript or what she had left to do. When I requested this, I was told "we don't usually do that." We had expected NARHS to handle communications with colleges, but were told it was more "appropriate" that our child's former high school do that. The advisor was unfriendly and passive. Finally, we received different opinions in two different years about credit for an extracurricular activity that has been the focus of our child's life. She pretty much already has credits that meet their graduation requirement, except for a few hours of one subject.

I began to feel that we had just paid to purchase a piece of paper, which I could have created myself.

I wrote the school and asked if it was possible to withdraw, basically because there were things we had misunderstood, and that NARHS felt pointless in many ways. I said that we felt unethical simply buying a diploma, as if we were doing a "scam". At that point, NARHS had not done any work on her behalf, so I thought it might still be possible to withdraw.

I understand that they have a no refund policy. I did not know that at the time I asked. But I would certainly understand and acquiesce. I was not making demands or complaints, only asking. A courteous, professional response such as "We're sorry, but we do not do refunds, and we hope that we can improve our services so that your family can be happy with our program," would have been great.

Instead, I received absolutely incredible, ranting e-mails from the director. Probably the longest e-mails I have ever received, with a tone that was beyond angry, and, I felt, downright scary. To say these were unprofessional would be a gross understatement.

I am sorry if NAHS has had problems with fraudulent parents, or with authorities looking into the school's legitimacy, or whatever, but none of that is our fault.

We will not get a refund, which is fine, if that is their policy. I was just asking. But I will not communicate directly with the school myself, because it is too upsetting, and we are considering not even getting the diploma for the money, just because the interactions are too disturbing.

It is not enough to do research. Talk to them and get the vibe. Pin them down first about services they will be providing, and get it in writing. Better yet, compile your own portfolio, print out your own diploma, and use traditional community college courses, online courses, or other easily documentable alternatives, instead.

Stay away from NARHS.

florida1985

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 24, 2010
  • Grades Used: 9th - 11th
  • Dates used: 2008 - 2010
Make sure you check with your state colleges BEFORE you enroll in this program. The NARHS material states they have graduates in many colleges, but there is at least one college in our state that specifically stated a transcript from NARHS is one they will not accept. Now, we are scrambling to put together an acceptable portfolio. We would not have enrolled in this high school program if we had done our homework first. We would have been better off spending the money on co-op classes (hint: try to find ones in accredited schools) for science and higher level math instead of spending money on the NARHS tuition. Do your own research before signing on the dotted line.