Math-U-See

Click for more information about Math-U-See

kanda

• Reviewed on Thursday, December 14, 2017
  • Grades Used: Various
  • Dates used: 2017
I tried MUS with 2 of my kids this past year. Let me give a little background. One child had done CLE up until grade 5, but it was going too fast for him to really grasp certain concepts and the lessons were taking him forever. I had hemmed and hawed about using MUS for this particular child for a long time, so we finally took the leap and tried it. We decided to start at Gamma, as the scope is so much different. He flew through it, so we decided to skip Delta and just move on to Epsilon, which would put him in the correct grade level. Fractions was definitely one of his biggest struggles, so I was really hoping for something amazing out of MUS. Instead, all we got was more confusion. I mean really, if somebody can make fractions more complicated, it would be Steve Demme. I would watch the DVD with my child and end up saying, "huh? why would anybody teach it that way?" and then find some Youtube videos that explained fractions the way the rest of the population does it. After doing that for a few weeks, I figured enough is enough and we ditched it. We are much happier now using TT and some Math Mammoth on the side for fun. My older child had used CLE all the way through grade 8, and after deciding I didn't want to use Saxon for highschool, figured we would try MUS. He hated it! Nothing made sense to him. I was really worried that maybe algebra was just something he didn't understand, even though he's done amazingly in math for the last several years. So, we decided to ditch MUS and try CLE's new Algebra 1 course. He currently has a 90+ average, so he definitely understands it. All that to say, I really don't get all the hype about MUS. It's so slow and repepitive, and his teaching makes no sense. Obviously it must work for a lot of people, but it was a definite dud at our house.

Stanleytwins

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 23, 2015
  • Grades Used: 1st
  • Dates used: 2013-2015
If you want a straight-forward math program that does nothing besides teach basic addition and subtraction, then this would be perfect for you. It definitely meets the common core standards using the manipulatives and teaching kids things like 8+7 = (8+2 = 10) + (7-2=5) = 15. I found this much more confusing than just teaching my kids to memorize or figure out the problems in their own way. We tried stretching out Alpha for two years in the hopes that my girls would get a good grasp on their addition and subtraction facts. They were making As on their tests, but I could tell we were missing the mark. They were bored. I even supplemented with some additional online programs such as xtramath and Kahn Academy. None of that seemed to help them grasp the problems. We have since moved to A Beka 2nd grade math and my girls are flying through it. It takes much more time for me to prepare, but they can easily spout off their addition and subtraction tables and have learned to read a clock, count money, recognize fractions, tell < and >, and count by 2s (odd and even), 3s, and 10s just in our first two weeks of using the new curriculum.

It just wasn't a good fit for us, but I can definitely see how this program would work beautifully for a self-motivated math-minded kiddo. They could fly through this with very little parent involvement and have great results.

Stacey828

• Reviewed on Monday, October 20, 2014
  • Dates used: 2014- 1025
This is my sons first year being home schooled, i was very worried about him learning well in a home environment and getting distracted. He loves the MUS!! It would be a little more creative but he loves the blocks and that seems to be enough for him. Hes not a fan of coloring so he gets tired of coloring the blocks all the time but its very doable, easy lesson plans for you to teach him. we are on lesson 14 and he has picked up on every thing very well!!

kaybee

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 16, 2014
  • Grades Used: K-4th
  • Dates used: 2012-14
We LOVE MUS!

I started my middle child on it after we wasted an ENTIRE year doing math with another program.
He started with MUS Alpha. It was perfect for him. Now he's in 3rd grade, and has gone from being (at the beginning of 1st) the kid who wasn't retaining the math information (because of the teaching method of the other program) to the kid I consider the most 'mathy' of the 3.

After I started one child with MUS, I switched my older son to it as well. He's gone through MUS Delta. This year I'm starting my youngest on MUS Primer, and so far we love it. It's perfect for her, too!!

There has been some talk and speculation about it not being enough in high school, but I always take things one year at a time. We may switch when the kids get older, or we may not. Right now, however, they are all learning the fundamentals - and learning them WELL - with MUS, so I have no reason to switch. As far as the later/high school years go, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I can say without a doubt that MUS is a solid program for elementary.
12345678910...