Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing

339homeschool

• Reviewed on Wednesday, June 11, 2008
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2007-2008
I tried to use Mavis Beacon with my 3rd Grade daughter this year and found myself in a power struggle each time. She kept saying it was "boring". To me it seemed a little dry, but probably effective. Certainly better than the Typing for Girls class I took in high school!

Anyway, in a search for something less "boring", we switched over to Type to Learn from Sunburst Technology. It's a space capsule going on time travel adventures, teaching progressive typing skills as you move through the levels.

If video games appeal to your child Type to Learn might be a good fit. To be honest the sound drove me crazy, but then my daughter liked the sound on full-blast. It was much more fun for her and we made better progress at about one level per week.

Wishbone

• Reviewed on Wednesday, September 20, 2006
  • Dates used: 1998-2006
I used this program in private school. It is an excellent program for both beginning typists and advanced typists. Mavis Beacon really helped me improve my typing speed. I can now type 55 words per minute and I'm in 8th grade. I really recommend this program for the fact that it works!

Ellen Marie

lindsey

• Reviewed on Friday, September 15, 2006
  • Grades Used: 1st-12+
  • Dates used: 2005-current
We originally purchased Mavis Beacon for our then 6 year old daughter and while my husband was installing it on our computer (very easy to do) he started to test it and found that he enjoyed using it as well. We all now use it to improve our typing skills.

It is wonderful to teach the beginning typers how to type, intermediate children how to improve typing skills and speed, and to challenge the advanced typists to type faster and beat their best wpm with the least amount of errors. It is a great overall typing program that incorporates different activities in the learning process to capture and keep your attention. Our family would recommend it.

Ramonda

• Reviewed on Sunday, February 5, 2006
  • Grades Used: 4th - 8th
  • Dates used: 2 years
I have two sons using this program. It is inexpensive, easy to install and easy to use. I would try to get the most advanced version so the graphics are better. Both of my boys have reached the WPM goals I set for them. (my 5th grader 25wpm and my 8th grader 35wpm).

It is also the program their public school used when they were still there. I am happy with it, my sons are learning to type and don't mind it.