The Learnables

pemberley

• Reviewed on Wednesday, January 8, 2014
  • Grades Used: German 1
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
This is a review of customer service.

We have enjoyed this product for several months.
Suddenly our CD stopped working. We have NO clue why and so I called the company.
We went in absolute circles with me repeating my situation.
CD worked one day but not the next.
Tried 3 different computers, same error message.
Tried cleaning the CD.
No scratches.
No luck.

Basically, the company said, "We don't know what's wrong, but your child needs to finish the lessons on that CD before moving on. Try the CD again tomorrow."

And...what kind of solution is that?

I understand that my child needs to finish the lessons. I simply need a replacement CD. I'm happy to send the corrupt CD back, but I'd like to get one that works in return.

The company was not willing to do that.
They would be happy to "look" at our corrupt CD but they would send it back with a note verifying that it was corrupt.

They have a 30-day guarantee, but our CD stopped working months after that.

So now...we are stuck.

No solution. Not much customer service. The lady I spoke with was nice, don't get me wrong, but surely (surely) the company could have offered to work out a deal...maybe a discounted replacement CD...maybe a free replacement CD. Something.

Ugh.

sharilynn29

• Reviewed on Friday, March 23, 2012
  • Grades Used: Level 1 for 2nd and 8th grade
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
This is a review for The Learnables Spanish. I am currently using the audio CDs and book 1. My 8th grader has one year of previous Spanish instruction in public school. My 2nd grader is learning Spanish for the first time. This is an immersion study, so no English is used in the lessons, but there are hints in the beginning of the workbook so that you know what the instructions say.

Pros: My kids are learning Spanish! There are 10 lessons in book 1 before moving to the workbook. My ds is on lesson 9 after 7 weeks and passed all of the quizzes. I require him to get at least 9/10 for the quizzes. I allow 8/10 for my younger dd. She is on lesson 7.

Cons: At this point, the lessons are monotonous. I dont think you can avoid this since you need to hear it repeated to learn what they are saying. Both of my kids are actually looking forward to the workbook where they get to see written Spanish and answer questions. The other con is that there is not the speaking practice that Rosetta Stone offers. Thankfully they seem to have an ear for the language.

I will definitely continue with this curriculum. I've already purchased Grammar Enhancement which is the first part of year 2.

3brightkids

• Reviewed on Monday, October 17, 2011
  • Grades Used: 5 - 7
  • Dates used: 2000 -
Used learnables for an introduction into a personal choice language required for our school. German 1 - 3, Russian 1 & 2, and Japanese 1 & 2.

The material is very simple and structured to ease the reader into the basics of the language chosen. It gave my children the confidence to want to learn more of their chosen language.

Each child is fluent in reading/writing/spoken word of their chosen language and The Learnables program sparked the desire for this accomplishment.

Highly recommend !

HSfromthestart

• Reviewed on Thursday, September 24, 2009
  • Dates used: 2009-2010

Don't you just hate vocabulary???

Isn't that the worst part of learning a foreign language? I know that vocabulary lists are not easy, but we have found an easy way to learn Spanish with no vocabulary lists!

We are using The Learnables Spanish curriculum, which can be used with a CD-ROM or an audio CD and book. We use the audios and book.

It is like a book of flashcards, but you do not look on the back to see if you are correct, because for the first three months or so, you simply listen. You keep up with the native Spanish speaker by listening to what number he is on. So it is like vocabulary, but there is no trying to see if you're right, and then getting it wrong.

I have studied with The Learnables curriculum in the past, and I am using it this year with my daughter. After three days, she said when she heard a word or phrase, the pictures were beginning to pop into her mind.

This is a big plus, because many people can speak a foreign language after studying it, but have a hard time understanding spoken words by another person. I know this is true from my own trip to Mexico after a year of learning highschool Spanish from a native speaker.

The first book, The Learnables 1 (with 4 CDs), is 10 lessons, with 100 images each (some repeated, some combined with other words in other pictures), which takes about a week or more for each lesson. Just listen to it a couple of times each day, only moving on to the next lesson when you are sure you know all the phrases or sentences.

After completing The Learnables 1, the student goes on to Basic Structures 1 (with 3 CDs), where they get to Read Along with the Spanish CDs and see pictures. These are sentences and short paragraphs comprised of the words already learned in The Learnables. These lessons also are meant to be paced and reviewed. The workbook part of the lesson can't be redone unless answers are written in a notebook, but reading the paragraphs along with the CD can.

This does not seem like enough work for an entire year of homeschool Spanish, but keep in mind, it is meant to be reviewed often before going to the next step.

Total for 1st year = 2 books, 7 CDs.

The second year has an additional 280-page book, Spanish Grammar Enhancement 1, (with 4 CDs) which is to be used first before beginning The Learnables 2, and Basic Structures 2. (also with CDs)

We plan on beginning Spanish Grammar Enhancement 1 near the end of this school year instead of waiting for next fall.

The sample online only shows the first 10 images, which does not really show you how it really works, in my opinion. The pictures do not "come into your mind" because you do not get far enough into the lesson to see how this is possible.

This homeschool Spanish curriculum is not very cheap, but it can be found on eBay or Amazon. I recommend researching the curriculum site and calling them to make sure you know exactly what you're looking for before going to eBay or Amazon.