The Learnables

becca

• Reviewed on Saturday, August 16, 2014
  • Grades Used: 1st - level one
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
I think we had a mixed experience with this program:

Pros: native speaker (which was the advantage of this program over listening to me speak Spanish), good introduction to many Spanish words and phrases.

Cons: it wasn't very exciting and as the level progressed it became difficult for ds to understand exactly what the words meant just based on the picture. This bothered him. Fortunately I could understand and translate for him; otherwise I think it would have caused frustration. Also, it didn't include phrases I would consider essential, such as "hello. My name is -----. What's your name? I'm 7 years old. Where's the bathroom? Goodbye." I had to teach these myself.

pemberley

• Reviewed on Wednesday, January 8, 2014
  • Grades Used: German 1
  • Dates used: 2013-2014
This is a review of customer service.

We have enjoyed this product for several months.
Suddenly our CD stopped working. We have NO clue why and so I called the company.
We went in absolute circles with me repeating my situation.
CD worked one day but not the next.
Tried 3 different computers, same error message.
Tried cleaning the CD.
No scratches.
No luck.

Basically, the company said, "We don't know what's wrong, but your child needs to finish the lessons on that CD before moving on. Try the CD again tomorrow."

And...what kind of solution is that?

I understand that my child needs to finish the lessons. I simply need a replacement CD. I'm happy to send the corrupt CD back, but I'd like to get one that works in return.

The company was not willing to do that.
They would be happy to "look" at our corrupt CD but they would send it back with a note verifying that it was corrupt.

They have a 30-day guarantee, but our CD stopped working months after that.

So now...we are stuck.

No solution. Not much customer service. The lady I spoke with was nice, don't get me wrong, but surely (surely) the company could have offered to work out a deal...maybe a discounted replacement CD...maybe a free replacement CD. Something.

Ugh.

sharilynn29

• Reviewed on Friday, March 23, 2012
  • Grades Used: Level 1 for 2nd and 8th grade
  • Dates used: 2011-2012
This is a review for The Learnables Spanish. I am currently using the audio CDs and book 1. My 8th grader has one year of previous Spanish instruction in public school. My 2nd grader is learning Spanish for the first time. This is an immersion study, so no English is used in the lessons, but there are hints in the beginning of the workbook so that you know what the instructions say.

Pros: My kids are learning Spanish! There are 10 lessons in book 1 before moving to the workbook. My ds is on lesson 9 after 7 weeks and passed all of the quizzes. I require him to get at least 9/10 for the quizzes. I allow 8/10 for my younger dd. She is on lesson 7.

Cons: At this point, the lessons are monotonous. I dont think you can avoid this since you need to hear it repeated to learn what they are saying. Both of my kids are actually looking forward to the workbook where they get to see written Spanish and answer questions. The other con is that there is not the speaking practice that Rosetta Stone offers. Thankfully they seem to have an ear for the language.

I will definitely continue with this curriculum. I've already purchased Grammar Enhancement which is the first part of year 2.

3brightkids

• Reviewed on Monday, October 17, 2011
  • Grades Used: 5 - 7
  • Dates used: 2000 -
Used learnables for an introduction into a personal choice language required for our school. German 1 - 3, Russian 1 & 2, and Japanese 1 & 2.

The material is very simple and structured to ease the reader into the basics of the language chosen. It gave my children the confidence to want to learn more of their chosen language.

Each child is fluent in reading/writing/spoken word of their chosen language and The Learnables program sparked the desire for this accomplishment.

Highly recommend !