Konos Curriculum

• Reviewed on Saturday, May 28, 2016
  • Grades Used: K-2nd
  • Dates used: 2014-2016
My experience: KONOS grabbed my attention as I was looking for something that I could get passionate about and to find a way to learn that I would have loved as a child. However, after two years it has left me feeling disappointed and disillusioned.

1) KONOS is a LOT of work. Grant it, it depends on how much you want your child to get from the unit being studied. I noticed a pattern of three distinct groups. Some write about it not being a lot of work, they just choose books on the said unit and choose an activity. There are those that write that it does take some time but it left me wandering what standard is used to measure a child's academics. I fell into the latter group. Pack as much into a unit as I could with a wide selection of books, three activities in a week after the three R's and use education videos (mostly YouTube) to add to the unit. So, in short, I was dedicated and focused.
2) I started to feel uneasy as there was no way that I could measure what level of academic standard I was providing. (Side note on me using YouTube educational videos: I read several research articles about using media as a learning tool and after reading The Well Trained Mind on this topic, I realized I was not doing my child any favors.)
3) There are two distinct times I realized I needed to let go of KONOS. One, was watching my husband and kids play outside and once again I had to tell my child I could not join them as mommy had to prepare school again. I looked with sadness outside and realized this is not why I chose homeschooling. I spent a significant amount of time preparing as I wanted to make sure they were given a high standard of education but spending time with my family was the price.
4) The second reason was, while reading a book with my oldest he became super excited about the name Charlemagne. I asked him what he remembered of it and with excitement he could retell me the headlines of who he was. Why? In pre-K I had him enrolled in a Classical Conversations community for six months where this time period was covered. Over the next couple of days in a very casual way I started asking questions about the work we covered in CC and then about work we covered in KONOS. In my mind surely the fun stuff would stand out. However, he remembered very little of the KONOS material and important facts but he did remember a good amount of the CC work he learnt at age 4. Why? I'm not sure, but this much I know, KONOS might be fun, but as far as retention it does not hold up.
5) I will keep my KONOS volume I have used for the last two years for ideas on fun activities. However, I am not convinced that it is a complete curriculum for long term use, to achieve a high standard of academics.

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 30, 2011
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2011-present
I am really glad that I tried Konos! I have used FIAR in the past and wanted to keep using Unit Studies with my girls so I decided to try Konos. The activities are awesome. My kids are learning so much. Today we(my 8 year old and I) dissected a cow eye and my preK dd wanted in on the learning!!! They learned a ton and you could see they were beaming with excitement. You can't beat the value of these three volumes as they cover K-8 or as proven today....PreK-8. I plan on using this for several years and then trying the HOW volumes for high school. I followed recommendations to remove the binding and place the unit that we are currently using in page protectors so that I can use wet erase markers to choose activities and take notes. Planning is very simple now that I have it in bite sized sections instead of the huge books in my lap. I really am impressed with this curriculum. I don't need to purchase tons of books because I can use any available books from the library on the topic from the unit currently being studied.(No set in stone schedule of specific books that you have to follow) It is very flexible. I have to add in Math and Language Arts but the rest is all covered. Awesome having all of the rest of our subjects all flow together. Planning is really NOT bad and it is totally worth the hour I spend planning and ordering books each week from the library.
Just my 2 cents.....

• Reviewed on Friday, March 19, 2010
  • Grades Used: 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th 7th
  • Dates used: 2008-2010
I love Konos! It does require commitment! But I would much rather my children develop a love of learning and "learn" how to learn, enjoying their education and retaining information than sitting with a workbook for thirty minutes per unplanned subject not like in public school. I understand there are some who only have the workbook option. But for those of us who have the privledge of homeschooling full time it is a wonderful choice to use Konos. We have switched to other curriculums when things where hectic in our lives but always go back to konos when we can dedicate ourselves.

We started out with KONOs in the box, just to see if we liked it. It was much more expensive than the Vol. 1, 2, 3 but it was good for getting our feet wet....Then we purchased volume 1 $90 for two years of curriculum expensive?...I don't think so compared to other choices...And it is alot of work but you can do as much or as little as you want catering to different childrens age groups and intrests...I also don't understand why you would feel the nee dto supplement...It says it doesn't offer LA but for younger ones it's plenty...it does get into it some...other than that it covers everything...except Math...and we've added LA but like I said..there is sooo much you can do...

Out of all we've learned, what we've learned through KONOS is the only thing my children remember, retain and have fond memories of.

As far as the comment about them being weird...?????.....They are amazing!...They Love the Lord and love children and love learning!!!....I can only imagine the comments were misconstrued. I had signed up for the mentor co-op and was having difficulty and called the company. The owner answered and spent an hour with me on the phone making sure I was able to access and understood...He was warm and helpful!!!....As far as we are concerend these people are homeschool angles enabling us to be the best teacher-moms God called us to be.

Of course God did create us all unique so this curriculum couldn't be for everyone...but not because of anything negative...It is what you make it!....

• Reviewed on Thursday, August 20, 2009
  • Grades Used: 1st and a little of 2nd
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
Oh how we really wanted to use Konos. I am super organized and found the planning of this my cup of tea, I love to plan.

The problem was the library resources in our area are very limited and my husband was ok with purchasing a few extra books but not enough to make this curriculum really work.

My girls loved the activities and learned a lot on the units we were able to complete.

I plan on using this for some of the activitiy ideas but because of my lack of resources we can't use it full-time though

~Very hands on

The curriculum itself has no negatives (unless you are not a planner, then I could see how it that could be) it's not Konos fault i can't find the resources I need.

I would like to see it on cd format so you can paste the activities you want for the day all in one spot instead of having to flip through the sections to find your activities. I think that would make a huge improvement to the program but because of copyright I understand why this might not be possible.