Konos Curriculum

mystika1

• Reviewed on Tuesday, August 30, 2011
  • Grades Used: 3rd
  • Dates used: 2011-present
I am really glad that I tried Konos! I have used FIAR in the past and wanted to keep using Unit Studies with my girls so I decided to try Konos. The activities are awesome. My kids are learning so much. Today we(my 8 year old and I) dissected a cow eye and my preK dd wanted in on the learning!!! They learned a ton and you could see they were beaming with excitement. You can't beat the value of these three volumes as they cover K-8 or as proven today....PreK-8. I plan on using this for several years and then trying the HOW volumes for high school. I followed recommendations to remove the binding and place the unit that we are currently using in page protectors so that I can use wet erase markers to choose activities and take notes. Planning is very simple now that I have it in bite sized sections instead of the huge books in my lap. I really am impressed with this curriculum. I don't need to purchase tons of books because I can use any available books from the library on the topic from the unit currently being studied.(No set in stone schedule of specific books that you have to follow) It is very flexible. I have to add in Math and Language Arts but the rest is all covered. Awesome having all of the rest of our subjects all flow together. Planning is really NOT bad and it is totally worth the hour I spend planning and ordering books each week from the library.
Just my 2 cents.....

kjmom

• Reviewed on Friday, March 19, 2010
  • Grades Used: 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th 7th
  • Dates used: 2008-2010
I love Konos! It does require commitment! But I would much rather my children develop a love of learning and "learn" how to learn, enjoying their education and retaining information than sitting with a workbook for thirty minutes per unplanned subject not like in public school. I understand there are some who only have the workbook option. But for those of us who have the privledge of homeschooling full time it is a wonderful choice to use Konos. We have switched to other curriculums when things where hectic in our lives but always go back to konos when we can dedicate ourselves.

We started out with KONOs in the box, just to see if we liked it. It was much more expensive than the Vol. 1, 2, 3 but it was good for getting our feet wet....Then we purchased volume 1 $90 for two years of curriculum expensive?...I don't think so compared to other choices...And it is alot of work but you can do as much or as little as you want catering to different childrens age groups and intrests...I also don't understand why you would feel the nee dto supplement...It says it doesn't offer LA but for younger ones it's plenty...it does get into it some...other than that it covers everything...except Math...and we've added LA but like I said..there is sooo much you can do...

Out of all we've learned, what we've learned through KONOS is the only thing my children remember, retain and have fond memories of.

As far as the comment about them being weird...?????.....They are amazing!...They Love the Lord and love children and love learning!!!....I can only imagine the comments were misconstrued. I had signed up for the mentor co-op and was having difficulty and called the company. The owner answered and spent an hour with me on the phone making sure I was able to access and understood...He was warm and helpful!!!....As far as we are concerend these people are homeschool angles enabling us to be the best teacher-moms God called us to be.

Of course God did create us all unique so this curriculum couldn't be for everyone...but not because of anything negative...It is what you make it!....

ericandroshelle

• Reviewed on Thursday, August 20, 2009
  • Grades Used: 1st and a little of 2nd
  • Dates used: 2008-2009
Oh how we really wanted to use Konos. I am super organized and found the planning of this my cup of tea, I love to plan.

The problem was the library resources in our area are very limited and my husband was ok with purchasing a few extra books but not enough to make this curriculum really work.

My girls loved the activities and learned a lot on the units we were able to complete.

I plan on using this for some of the activitiy ideas but because of my lack of resources we can't use it full-time though

Positives:
~Very hands on
~Relaxed
~Engaging

Negatives:
The curriculum itself has no negatives (unless you are not a planner, then I could see how it that could be) it's not Konos fault i can't find the resources I need.

I would like to see it on cd format so you can paste the activities you want for the day all in one spot instead of having to flip through the sections to find your activities. I think that would make a huge improvement to the program but because of copyright I understand why this might not be possible.

5arrows

• Reviewed on Saturday, July 18, 2009
  • Grades Used: preK, 2nd, 3rd so far
  • Dates used: 2009
KONOS is a curriculum I had never considered using before. I'd always heard that it was too overwhelming and difficult to implement. However, a copy of Vol. 1 landed in my lap, and I'm so glad! I decided to use just a part of the Attentiveness unit before school ended in the spring, just to try it out. We had so much fun and learned so much! My kids enjoyed the activities, reading, and information, and also have retained much of what they learned through the past few months -- something I can't say about some of the learning we'd been doing before. I plan to continue with KONOS this fall.

The complaint that KONOS is too much work could be true for some people. However, I think it's worth a little effort. Although each day is not laid out and scheduled like Sonlight, MFW or TOG, I found that to be a benefit to me. I realized that I was getting frustrated following daily schedules to a "t", and felt like I was not covering what I should. I also felt that other programs skipped around or chopped up the information too much -- read 2 pages here and then 3 pages here, and then spend 2 minutes on a little science experiment. . . In my family this was pointless. I wanted a basic schedule and a basic plan to work from, but with KONOS I'm able to build my own plan on top of theirs. They do provide weekly lesson plan pages if you choose to use them. The fact that you spend a month or so immersed in a particular topic has helped my kids to remember and has helped me to be enthusiastic about what I am teaching. My enthusiasm was the key, I think.

KONOS does require you to sit down and do some planning. But, in my experience, that's a good thing. The "open and go" programs did not require me to think ahead too much about what I was teaching, and therefore, it was more something to get done than a fun learning experience for all of us. And just to be clear, I am not a super-organized, do-it-all kind of mom. But KONOS does offer lots of support options, and seems to have many avenues for making the planning easier.

As far as the concern that KONOS is not a complete curriculum, I'm not so sure. We haven't used it long, but I would guess from looking ahead, that you would cover everything you needed if you stick with it. The Compass gives a good scope and sequence list to follow, so if you are in a strict state, you could use it as a guide. I haven't implemented the timeline yet, but I think honestly it may be more helpful than the classical "through the ages" approach in that it's a constant visual, placing events in front of you -- prompting you to remember the in-depth study you did of each person. Anyway, if you are considering this program, give it a try! You may be surprised!