High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

So glad I have the choice...

So glad I have the choice...

Long story short: I was going to have my oldest son do math via distance learning this year through our province. We have integrated math here so it does not follow the typical US sequence. I've been looking through the course previews online and I am coming across more and more things that are giving me pause about doing this course. They've taken an objective, straight-forward subject (math) and turned it into something subjective. Many of the assignments are like this:

- contact your tutor and tell them why you are taking this course and how previous math experiences make you feel about math

- write a blog post about how you once solved a problem using some type of reasoning

- write a reflective journal entry about a pattern you have observed in your life, then make a conjecture about it

Then there is an entire unit dedicated to doing a "mathematics research project." I'm not sure how that is learning any math. It sounds like a waste of time to keep kids busy, honestly.

All that to say.... I am sooo glad I have the choice to use homeschool curriculum instead. The ps kids are stuck with that stuff! We're going to attempt Algebra 2 again this year and go from there. He will very likely have to write placement tests for college anyway, so in the end I don't think it will matter what he does for math, but I can say with confidence that he will be getting a lot more out of Algebra 2 than he would with the ps courses!

Is any of the ps math like this in your area?

re: So glad I have the choice...

I don't know if the ps schools do that around here or not.

But it sounds to me similar to "unit study" in the mix of it. Write about how you applied some of this stuff in your life already and stuff like that. Make connections to real life. I know my daughter with the math/com sci/ele eng degrees had to do presentations on things and apply the math she was learning to real life. (eta: so the math research thing sounds ok to me b/c they might look up how in the world this matters to my life or job? I dont' think they are asking them to do the kind of research of a university student)

or with the tutor communication, I can see that if someone is getting a tutor because they hate math. It could help the tutor to have some insights into the student's frustrations and find out how to encourage them that yes, they can learn it. or, if the student is really engaged, maybe the tutor will connect with that?

maybe I'm just not reading between the lines of what you said??? I just did mow the yard and now am sneezing from pollen and grass. so if I missed the big picture, oops.

This post was edited on Jun 12, 2018 01:56 PM

oh, yes, it's wonderful to teach how we want to teach and to add stuff that we want and not use what others say to do. and to have options and choices, etc.

right there with you on that.

I'm fine with integrating math into life to a point. We used Life of Fred for math. But DD actually learned how to solve problems and aced the SAT.
Nowadays a lot of ps work focuses on "how does that make you feel?" And once we unleash generations of psers who were conditioned to focus solely on their feelings, how can there be any absolutes?

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond