High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

2018 grads

2018 grads

Who's graduating this year? Any post-high school plans? :) :) It's fun to see who's made it to the end of the homeschooling journey.

re: 2018 grads

well, not high school, but my oldest graduated college (2 weeks ago). even has a job and place to live (not here). wahoo! She did it. electrical engineering, comp sci, and math (3 degrees at her school) and gpa was enough for summa cum laude.

Congrats, cbollin! :)

Michelle32

We are officially done with HSing. DD graduated and is off to community college this summer. Both kids are giong to the same school and will have the same schedule in the fall, so they will be carpooling.

Michelle32

Our DD is graduating high school! I can hardly believe we're done and there were times I wondered if we'd go all the way through--we HSd independently and it was very hard work. High school flew by! I'm looking forward to the next chapter of focusing on being (just) a mom and a mentor to her and spending time on lots of life skills together.

She graduated a year early so you could say she has an bonus year to think about whether college will fit into her plans. She has a bit of an entrepreneurial spirit. She will continue to train and compete in an activity that she has also been teaching. She will furthers her skills in piano and hopes to give some private lessons next year (she taught a young student in her Jr year but had to let it go at the end of the yr bc her schedule was so crammed and the student's mom was very high maintenance...DD had great lessons in boundaries that year!)

Am I a tad nervous that she isn't going the traditional route of college immediately after HS? Yes. Especially since she has done so well with her education and she wouldn't have a problem getting into a great college. She did excellent in math, is a pretty good writer (even though she'll say she doesn't enjoy it that much), sailed through biology and aced the biology clep test, was a National Merit Scholarship Commended Student, came very close to a perfect score on the SAT and is doing terrifically in piano.

Her piano teacher has been putting pressure on me to basically force DD to go to college saying, "I think it would be a big mistake if she didn't go." Thankfully I won't have her pressuring DD bc she is moving DD to a higher level teacher. Nowadays people don't ask what DDs plans are. They always ask where she's going to college. When I was discussing DDs plans with someone and said she doesn't have plans for college right now they responded, "My middle son wasn't college material either." Part of me wanted to say she could get into virtually any college she wanted, but I just let it go. I think when people hear that we homeschooled and that she doesn't have plans for college they assume it's bc she isn't qualified in some way. Which is silly bc you don't have to be stellar student to further your education after high school. There are so many options or lots of people start off with community college. Many people still have the impression that homeschooling is inferior education bc of the garbage they hear from the media. Anyway, I digress.

Bottom line though: I do feel that this is the right course for my DD as she's a risk-taker with an independent spirit and she has some very good goals right now. She has worked incredibly hard and has taken on a packed schedule these past 4+ years plus our family has had a number of traumatic events in recent yrs. I think she is a bit burned out and needs time away from "schoolwork." We're very proud of her and the young lady she is becoming and excited to see what the Lord will do next!

(Ok, maybe that was more than anyone needed to know, LOL)

Am I a tad nervous that she isn't going the traditional route of college immediately after HS? Yes.

did I tag this on this thread, or would I a spin off been proper etiquette? hmmm.

((hugs)) It's going to be fine. My middle daughter did that and it's going ok. She did good stuff.
minnie's daughter did that too but she was a little younger
Friend of my middle daughter is also not going straight to college and taking time to figure it out. She might work as a sub teacher at our church's preschool.

I found more people were supportive than not of being ready for college meant more than just finished high school. I'd say "well she's doing one of those gap years where you really figure out what you want to go to college for. " and you know what? people said "that's smart. "

oh? my middle daughter? Among the things she did this academic year just ending was to participate in the Freshman Year for Free program offered via ModernStates.org. She ended up so far earning 16 credits (in terms of what transfers to local community college). and she volunteered in the homeschool classes as a teacher assistant, and church stuff. and just enrolled for 2 classes at community college.

hang in there. the only time people will care much is as the natural conservation point at graduation and in the summer. Just keep it to small talk fun. don't be nervous. ((hugs)) and piano teacher can get over herself for micro managing a student's life decisions.

Congrats to the Grads!!!

My youngest has graduated after 13 years of homeschooling. He's planning on attended PCC and majoring in nursing. Our home schooling journey was not always easy, but it was rewarding. I appreciate all the support that I received here over many years. My dh has recently retired from law enforcement, and we moved to Florida so both of us are praying about our retirement careers/ ministry.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond