High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Writing program suggestions

Writing program suggestions

My 9th and 10th graders are in Essentials in Writing 10 this year. Next year I want to continue working on writing, and know that I need a program of some sort to keep us on track. They will also be finishing up American history that we started this year, so I thought it'd be nice to have some history-based writing, though it's ok if it's based on literature. They will be taking Spanish and College Algebra at the CC; we're waiting until spring (or maybe even the following fall) to have them take Freshman Comp at the college. Dh really wants them to have a solid foundation in writing before taking it at the college.

So, I guess I'm looking for direction, but maybe something that can be done in one semester. (BTW, EIW is fine, but I think it'd be better to use something completely different next time so they get more variety in instruction.)

Not too expensive, please. :)

re: Writing program suggestions

A very inexpensive option would be Wordsmith Craftsman.

Iew has history based writing, but I also recommend Jensen’s Format Writing.

Can I ask why you're switching away from Essentials in Writing? I'm thinking of having my 8th grader use that next year (her first year @ home) and just looking for opinions.

Eiw is fine, but I thought maybe a different approach might be nice, to give them done variety. I suspect eiw 11 is probably very similar to 10.
That being said, we might stick with it. Nothing else has inspired me yet. :)

Having never used EIW, I’d love to hear what you think of it. Did your kids like the dvd aspect? I was planning on spending some time with IEW mainly for the “style” part and then go with EIW. Does EIW hit on those elements in their teaching?

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond