High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Anyone have a HSer deeply involved in an extra-curric

Anyone have a HSer deeply involved in an extra-curric

For example, ballet, sports, competitive dance, gymnastics, maybe some other competitive activity etc.?

I'm talking about an activity that takes about 20+ hrs of time each week, is something they are very passionate about and possibly going to use towards a career (as opposed to an activity they are just doing on the side for fun).

We fall into that category and during the high school years the time management between that and independent homeschooling has become very challenging.

Looking forward to hearing if anyone else is managing a high schooler with heavy time demands from an activity. :-)

re: Anyone have a HSer deeply involved in an extra-curric

I have one that’s seriously involved in music that many hours a week. Other than practice, lessons, group, he also plays for weddings, parties and other gigs and travels many times during the year for competitions, festivals etc. Though he is now only in 8th grade, he may well end up doing this one day for a career. But yes, it is hard to balance school and this. I figure, though, that if he went to a magnet school for the arts, his schedule would be similar, so I am calling various parts of extracurricular activities different electives, like Chamber Music, Theory, etc. and assigning credit. I also use summer to get other credits out of the way, like PE or Health. So the bulk of his academic classes during the school year will mainly be in the morning, or about 4 hours a day.—-

Nice to hear about other homeschoolers who do this :) I tend to feel pretty alone in this where I live.

My oldest is in gr. 9 and she is heavily involved in performance arts... theatre, dance, voice. Between training, preparing for exams, rehearsals for various productions, she probably trains 15 - 20 hours a week depending on what exactly is going on at the time. Plus practicing at home. So, like the previous poster I am assigning credit for all of it.

My next oldest is in gr. 8 and she is a competitive gymnast. She trains 20 hrs in the gym this year, plus a few hours a week with a trainer.

I will have others as they grow up as well.

I was one of those as a teenager - but not homeschooled, and I did in fact make a career of it. You can't decide to be a dancer when you graduate high school.

DD17 is now away at college, but, since about age 8, she has been involved in something with a crazy schedule.

Initially, it was theatre with rehearsals and shows lasting until midnight for months at a time. Then, there were the myriad of acting, voice, and dance classes that went with that. Later, she changed to competitive dance with the 20+ hours of rehearsal and weekends traveling to competitions. And somewhere in the mix of all that, she started broadcasting video games spending up to 5 hours a day.

She earned her first paycheck at about 10 and has been going strong earning money ever since. It is just who she is. She is not one to just hang out with friends. She is the type who is working with friends. I would call her the epitome of over achiever.

In regards to school, she was homeschooling all year. This meant her days were shorter than most. In addition, we did not follow a pre-planned schedule, but rather just kept track of what actually got done. On average, about 5 hours a Day was spent on schoolwork.

The beauty of homeschooling is that you can adjust your child’s academic schedule to meet his needs. Many homeschoolers get to have passions not available to brick and mortar kids just because of scheduling problems.

This post was edited on Mar 10, 2018 04:24 PM

I have a couple who spent more of the high school hours fixing trucks/tractors than sitting down doing school work. Of those who are now adults, 4 of the 5 are earning their livings doing that now.

"She is not one to just hang out with friends. She is the type who is working with friends. I would call her the epitome of over achiever. "

LOL, I can relate.

It's nice to hear from others who are helping support their HSer's passion. Also helpful to hear about those who have moved on into the world and made a career of their passion.

As a parent, it can sometimes cause me some anxiety to support my DD's passion in something non-traditional. Nevertheless, I can see all the life lessons she learns that can be applied to a variety of situations or careers should she make major changes.

About twenty hours sounds like the typical amt devoted to their passion. But, as we all know, that doesn't include the many hours invested in research, costumes, supplies, instruments, repairs, travel, etc. It can be hard on the family--especially if you're trying to give your HSer a college prep education.

DD will be graduating in a few months. I'm so incredibly grateful to have been able to homeschool her. She started right from the beginning and I can only give all the glory to the Lord for how we've made it through this journey. Toughest job ever, but the benefits have been incredible. :-)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond