High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Notgrass vs BJU

Notgrass vs BJU

WOW! This decision is NOT easy! The reviews are totally mind boggling. Just about the time I think I am settled, a good point from the other side arises. :)

IF I went with BJU, I'm pretty sure I'd go with the DVDs.

What's your take?

(Actually, this will be for 10th for ds in 2 years. Next year I was thinking of Geography, which I'll ask about in another post.)

Pam

re: Notgrass vs BJU

For someone who loves history and doesn't mind tons of details, I'd say BJU. For an overview with a narrative tone without difficult exams, I'd say Notgrass. Notgrass is an overview and easy to use indpendently with no need for extra instruction, imho. I love both, but for different reasons (and types of learners).

I let my high school aged kids pour over both BJU and Notgrass texts and choose for themselves. Neither of our kids are going into law, teaching, history, poli-sci., so we were okay for them to make the final call. History is a survey subject, after all. It shouldn't be dreaded, if possible. The textbook and/or book selections can make all the difference.

Jmho
M32

We use BJU for high school history. But, I simply have them read, and then make my own test using the chapter review question. Or a brief paper is written about the chapter. We chose BJU, because we preferred the texts over Notgrass.

However, for government in senior year, I showed my ds a sample of both, and he chose Notgrass. So, we used that publisher for the first time. I really liked the ease, and set up, of their testing.

Notgrass vs BJU

faithandfamily---
"We use BJU for high school history. But, I simply have them read, and then make my own test using the chapter review question. Or a brief paper is written about the chapter. We chose BJU, because we preferred the texts over Notgrass.

However, for government in senior year, I showed my ds a sample of both, and he chose Notgrass. So, we used that publisher for the first time. I really liked the ease, and set up, of their testing."
---------------------------------------------

So would you do it that way again?

Pam

Yes, this was for my ds, who is a freshman in college this year. And we are following the same for my dd, a junior. :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond