High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Homeschooling high school

Homeschooling high school

It’s been a while since I came here. Now I need suggestions. My daughter will be in 9th grade in the fall. She has ASD, maybe ADD/ADHD, loses focus easily, and hates to write. She wants to be a game developer and/or cartoonist...

Any suggestions and ideas on curriculum that might work?

Probably secular...she hates it when publishers add in random Bible verses where it doesn’t belong, according to her.This year has been a trying year...

Thanks for your help.

re: Homeschooling high school

(cross answering the cross post)

Sounds like my oldest dd. We did MFW though. At least the bible wasn’t random. My oldest should have asperger’s but that diagnosis disappeared. And she puts the H in adhd. And She’s been known to lose focus in mid word while talking. I get it. Hated writing in high school but did a really nice college senior presentation last week (power point, talked without hyperactivity for 15 minutes on the project and had a long paper with it). Hang in there. When she was starting grade 9, I was never seeing her able to do all of that. The difference from start of grade 9 to end of grade 12 is significant.

Of course, I’m guessing you are planning standard 4 year high school plan for traditional college prep. Yes, students with ASD and other disability can go to regular colleges. Get your documentation current (as in no more than 3 years ago by the time you enter college) and that will make it easier on first week of campus when student goes to disability office to get the compliance letters to give to individual professors for self advocacy. Talk to college admissions about meeting with disability services about accommodations when you do campus visit prior to accepting admissions offer. Many of the students who are classmates of my oldest (and my oldest as well) get their letters and have quiet testing room and things like that that assure access (but not success).

By the way, at my dd’s college, there is a game design elective in the school of engineering that suggests using Unity3D for learning about game development. You might look into that as an early on elective in high school to play around. The school of engineering has a minor in video game design. And that is one thing they do in the process.

Curriculum planning and publishers. Well, there’s curriculum planning in terms of what courses you plan to cover and then there’s what materials do you plan to try to learn the stuff. Both are important to discuss to narrow down stuff.

My guess is that you want suggestions for English, Math, Social Studies and Sciences. And that you’re looking for more traditional approaches instead of build your own units and such?

Do you have things that you don’t like that don’t work? Things you like? Which Social Studies and Science you wish to study in grade 9? (eventually you’ll want to know for other years).

Art recommendation: how about Mark Kistler’s classes? You can usually get a discount on those at homeschool buyer co op. He teaches live class and has some recorded stuff that is 3D animation techniques. They usually suggest up to age 16 for the older class. My middle daughter liked it a lot.

Thanks for your encouraging comments. My daughter also has sensory issues, but hopefully once we get an actual diagnosis, things can get addressed.

We did try MFW when she was younger(5th grade) but wasn’t really working out. Loved Adventures though...

Yes, am looking for LA, Math, History, Science suggestions. Something easy for me to implement and not too overwhelming for dd. She also mentioned to me once that she doesn’t like videos, especially ones that do not hold her interest, or else she’ll lose focus.

So, at this point, I am feeling lost and a bit stressed. For math, she’s trying to do TT, but workbook. The computer noises were distracting/annoying her.

I was hoping others would chime in with great ideas.

Science: how about checking out something like Friendly Biology, Friendly Chemistry?

history: I missed it. do you want US, world history, geography, ancients? any chance you want to buy my unused box of pacworks US history part 2? I don't remember why I bought it to try.

math: we did saxon with mfw lesson plans. did not use the dive cd. there are youtube videos out there for many lessons. other people around don't like it.

English: grammar review: easy grammar ultimate grade 9 (presumes you've done some grammar up to now using something). Composition instruction: even though there is a video aspect, maybe essentials in writing. Literature: maybe something like progeny press or total language plus, or even the high school stuff with new edition of learning lang arts through lit.

I ended up with anthology text for my youngest to use. AGS brand (which is considered "remedial' style). check out wiesereducational for samples etc (I got workbooks new from them, but text on used market) that's secular.

hopefully some of those titles listed will get some conversation started without just saying have fun browsing rainbow resource catalog. aye aye!

I’ll pitch in a few ideas to look at. I have found these to be helpful in our homeschool. I’ve used varying things in high school for my dc, but I’m only really listing the things that come to mind that seem to fit more of what seems more of what you asking for.

MUS for math. You can watch it or watch together and then work on mastering the lesson.

English-Easy Grammar Ultimate,

Jensen’s writing(very straightforward) or IEW or Elements of style workbook...these three are a bit of opposites (depending on the dc or the need),

for literature you might get a anthology text, but I’ve found my dc really do get a lot from reading whole books too. ( I also have a dc who was not a reader and really benefitted from audiobooks)
I dont know that I’d do a lit guide every time though.

Science-maybe look at ICP from Pacworks or exploration education for physical science. I’ve heard that people are liking Friendly series too. I’m not much help in this category...I struggle here too.

History-depends on dc...will she/can she read on her own to incorporate a text or living books? or does she need bit sized chunks like pacworks? Or would a course from great courses work?
I have one who loves Bju dvd course. I’ve had dc who did Abeka dvd and enjoyed them. Currently I have a dc who loves to read and I have her reading living books and doing written narration once a week. It’s benefitted her greatly.deepened her love for history.

I guess that’s about all I can think of at the moment. HTH

I also went back and reread some of the things you wrote.
I would take the things she’s interested in such as the cartoon idea and maybe use it some way to fulfill some of her writing and to spur interest. Even games have to have a plan that could be outlined and written out. Researching the fields she’s interested in could prove helpful for many reasons. I did this with one ds. We did this as an elective. Of course this may require you making your own course if there’s not helps out there as far as curriculum. It’s a good opportunity though to compile information and organize into a paper even if she only writes a paragraph at a time and eventually edits to combine for a full paper.

Just some ideas to maybe to strengthen an interest in learning. It sounds to me that that’s part of the struggle too. I don’t know much about the disabilities side of things, but I do wish you the best as you try to meet your dc needs.

For the English grade I would suggest:

Grammar- Easy Grammar Ultimate 9 (or Easy Grammar Plus)

Literature- Abeka (just have her read and then give the tests)

Composition - Jensen's Format Writing (maybe shoot for about half the book in a year.)

For Math I would suggest Math U See (unless she does better with a strong constant review)

https://timberdoodle.com/collections/secular-homeschool-curriculum-kits/products/secular-complete-curriculum-ninth-grade

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond