High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

How will I put this on transcript?

How will I put this on transcript?

For various reasons that I won't get into, 16yo son and I have agreed to drop MUS Algebra 2, the biggest reason being that he doesn't need it (I know that won't make sense to you American people, but I'm not in US, our system is different, blah blah blah). From here on out, we'll be doing math courses from our province because our math is integrated and I want his courses to look like everyone else's at least for Grades 11 and 12.

Anyhoo... the problem is that I don't know how I will document his Gr. 10 math on his transcript. We did 12 lessons of MUS Algebra 2. For the rest of the year, he is going to do various units of MEP GCSE that I've picked out, which are comparable to our public school Gr. 10 math courses, to be sure he's ready for their math in fall (he's basically covered all of it already; we're mostly reviewing). Those units include graphs, exponents, trigonometry, area and volume of 3D shapes, solving algebraic equations and factoring, completing the square, difference of squares, and an intro to relations and functions.

So.... those topics aren't really algebra 2 (maybe a couple are), so I don't think I should just lump it all together and call the whole year Algebra 2. Or could I?

Should I give a half credit for Alg. 2 and then a half credit for Integrated Math or something?

Sorry for the very complicated question. Any ideas appreciated.

re: How will I put this on transcript?

Should I give a half credit for Alg. 2 and then a half credit for Integrated Math

I'd probably lean that direction on it.

Two separate half credits makes sense to me.

Another option would to give one full credit for "Math 10", "Integrated Math", or something similar. You would include all the topics covered in your course description, so it would be clear that the course was heavier on algebra content than on other topic areas.

Good ideas! Thank you.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond