High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Friendly Biology

Friendly Biology

Anyone using this and have reviews?

re: Friendly Biology

I'd love to hear too. I've heard it mentioned in a few threads, but I can't seem to find a lot of solid reviews on it. I love the looks of it, though, and am certainly keeping it in the back of my mind for one of my younger kids.

I planning to use this curriculum with my son that has learning disabilities this year , with recommendation in this site . You can see sample pages , the table of content and the list of lab materials in friendly biology.com. God bless you! I speak little english sorry for my spell..☺

"derf" (marne) is using it. She left some feedback in this thread (to lizamoe)
http://homeschoolreviews.com/forums/1/thread.aspx?id=131568

I highly recommend it....it covers everything that is certainly needed for a good highschool level biology class. Apologia is nice, but for the average student is way more than they will need. Dr Wiles Books is great...i am not running it down...I HAVE read thru is trying to make plans on how to present all of it in a "friendly" way to make it work for my not so interested in such detail student.

If you look at Dr Wiles grading in the teacher book...he does say the average college bound student would probably get a C... its a very rigorous course....and if it had anatomy probably would be considered AP.

BUT my student just isn't one of those to dig in no matter what and push thru....and his retention was zero with it....and he hated it...so when I heard about this....it was like an answer to my issue.. how to make something as technical as Apologia more on his level of need and understanding.

He is NOT special needs...just an ordinary boy that is not a highly motivated to push thru such amount of detail and material and really there was no need to...as Friendly Biology is very similar to what I had in high school and it prepared me VERY well to be a Biology major.

Friendly Biology is not a slough off... it is a regulation high school biology course...it will teach without being so technical and give them a super foundation in a very interesting subject.

Marne

Thanks for that review, Marne. I find myself in the same position - I've got an average, ordinary boy who doesn't want a biology that's super technical. I have Apologia and I like it (I've read it) but it's just too much for my boys who don't care much about biology. Also, I really like the lab projects that you can see in the samples of Friendly Biology.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond