High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

re: re: Need advice about Abeka tests and quizzes...

Need advice about Abeka tests and quizzes...

My ds, which I consider a somewhat slow student, is moving along pretty well with Abeka 9th. However, the tests/quizzes would do him in if I didn't almost review what's on them beforehand. They almost seem to be standardized. I am talking mainly about the science and history. He is doing the Biology, which I know is 10th, and it is very hard for him. He also has geography, which is a little easier for him, but still....It's hard to know how to study for these and there's a million bold faced terms. We are not planning on switching, as what I'm doing, is working for him. I just feel like I'm teaching to the test too much, kwim?? Plus, I have to stop the video on some days just for review. I feel like that puts us behind.

If you use this, would you please share how your student uses it.I would like to hear from users of this! Or, give suggestions for a slower student. Thanks in advance!

fun@home

This post was edited on Jan 17, 2018 09:02 AM

re: Need advice about Abeka tests and quizzes...

We are using Abeka biology in 9th, too, but I'm teaching it...no videos here. However, we handle tests the exact same way. We go over them for a couple days, and he takes the test the following day. As for quizzes, he uses his book, and I deduct five points off the top for book use. If he was expected to memorize it all and all the terms, he'd fail. I don't require him to define all the terms either. We read each section together and go over the review questions. At the end of each chapter, he does the part after the terms and then chooses 4 of the tougher questions.

This is our approach to most subjects honestly...history, too (notgrass). He's not sure what he wants to do after high school, and I'm not sure he'll go to college.

re: Need advice about Abeka tests and quizzes...

Thanks Mom2caleb for sharing!
I am thinking that ds would have to slow down immensely if he had to memorize everything. He might fail as well!
I am going to keep on, keeping on! I know he's getting it regardless. It sounds like you're doing a good job!
I think I am just not confident in what I'm doing.
fun@home

edited to add- Mom2caleb, I think using it this way will be fine if he wants to go to college,(not knowing your circumstances)...I don't think ps is super rigorous in this area from what I hear.

This post was edited on Jan 18, 2018 12:17 PM

I think what you're doing is fine...that's the beauty of homeschooling. Plus, we're working with one student, so the discussion and option to really "study" isn't as vast as it would be in a public school setting. We've really approached tests this same way since we started. I have tried typing up study guides based off the tests (which believe it or not is what we did at the public school high school where I taught years ago) to help him prepare...but it was a waste of time really. So, the method we use is what we'll continue for the most part.

Hang in there...you're doing fine.

My 9th and 10th graders are in Abeka Biology. We don't even use the tests. I did get the quizzes since they are only 10 questions. I do allow them to take them open book, though I ask them to answer as many as they can without the book first.

My 9th grader is also in Matter & Energy (his choice to do 2 sciences). He has chosen to go ahead and take those tests (he wanted to, probably because I had his sister take the tests last year), but I do allow open-book. Those tests are so very long!

I find myself relaxing our requirements, mostly at dh's recommendation. Instead of the dc spending time cramming for a test, they are discussing the section they just read. I think they are learning more this way.

We also use Abeka's lit books for 9th and 10th, but JUST READ them. I started with the quizzes for dd last year when she was in 9th, but quickly wondered what the point was.

(I guess it's good we never signed up officially with Abeka, otherwise we'd have to take all the quizzes and tests. I like the freedom we have to adapt to our preferences.)

Thanks again, Mom2Caleb! :) I agree!

sharonb, I appreciate you sharing how you use this. I agree, those tests are very long! On the last test in biology, I divided up the test...the first part, he did closed book and the last part (which had a bunch of critical thinking lab type questions, we did closed book)
It is good to know that I'm not alone in my thinking on these tests/quizzes! Whew!

fun@home

First, we spread A Beak over an entire year if needed.

Then, I started making kiddo learn how to make flash cards and study hard. At that point she thought she wanted to be pre-med, so it was the perfect time to see if she was going to be able to handle the depth of study that required.

Going through flash cards with her 4 or 5 times would seal the information.

A Beka is not for any wimps. Having science degrees myself, and going through science degrees with my kids, I can tell you it is close to college level material. Hang in there, as your kids should do very well in college science courses.

Thanks for chiming in Minnie!

Yes, we did start to make flashcards and that does seem to help. It's a zillion cards to make, but I remember doing that in college myself and it helped me. DS might as well get use to doing that!

I should have added to my original post that we started Abeka in November.I just started my year over when I found out about my own health issues that seemed to get in the way of school (doc appointments frequently). He hates any kind of schooling (insert eye roll here) and if you have read posts I've made, you know I've tried it all! ALL!
He tolerates video teachers better than all the others I've tried and plus with my new health issues, it's been a blessing. I have a good grip on the health, so hopefully we are full speed ahead. Anyway....

We will continue and just adjust as needed! Thanks for the advice! :)

fun@home

This post was edited on Jan 19, 2018 10:38 AM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond