High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Help! History & Science 9th Grade

Help! History & Science 9th Grade

My dd13 really struggles with reading and comprehension. I am starting to plan for next year and need suggestions for these two subjects. Anything that maybe has DVD's and more hands on things instead of the usual read and answer questions type thing.

re: Help! History & Science 9th Grade

Some questions to get the brainstorming going...

What topics in history and science do you want to cover for grade 9? that could make a difference. as well as wanting with or without religious content.

and how much in way of modification and accommodations does the student need in order to work at content level? examples from my students: middle gal could work at grade 9 in textbooks with audio assistance for reading and comprehension, but youngest needs to have "written below level" but at the same topic content with her remedial needs and developmental disabilities.

all of that info can help with answers on ideas of what to look for and what to skip.

There are several video courses available, like Abeka and BJu Press. Time4learning now has high school level courses. I'm not sure how much reading is involved in those, but I think they also include some videos and things with different lessons. We've never used it at those levels, so I'm not sure how good it is. If you become a member of Schoolhouseteachers.com, they have a lot of courses and a ton of videos and things that you have access to. You could even just purchase a book to use as your "spine" to give you direction, then use the videos on that site as the actual teaching method. Those are just a couple of ideas. Good luck!

Many use the 101 DVD's with other sources. I would also suggest looking at Friendly Biology and Friendly chemistry as they have both written books + now DVD's available to teach the material and a lot of very good doable experiments.

We are using Notgrass for history now and even if it is question answer in the review and quizes...you really don't have to use it or if you wish to do it orally and therefore discuss the material for retention...use it more like Charlot Mason would...written and or oral narration. Marne

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond