High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

How many credits for this?

How many credits for this?

My son really enjoys film making and I want to give him a fine arts credit for it, but I'm not sure if I should limit it to a 0.5 credit or 1.0 credit, or what I should do. It's a hobby of his, so he's doing it all the time, so he would easily have the hours to give him 3-4 credits over all 4 years of high school, but I know that might look weird on a transcript.

So should I keep it to one half-credit? Or what would you do with this?

re: How many credits for this?

My son did a film making elective.

I counted it as .5 credit. True, he didn't do more than a semester's worth, but I probably would have kept it to a half credit anyway, simply because it doesn't sound like a typical full credit class.

But, I say, do what you think best! I don't think a 1.0 credit is too wild and crazy. And you get to call the shots on his transcript. :)

Erin

There's a high school in our state that has a Fine Arts Academy "magnet" program within the school. They get at least 4 fine arts courses as their elective focus.

To help you compare/contrast and decide between one credit, and then hobby hours, or full classes, here are titles and (abbreviated version) course descriptions of the credits in that school that are Film Making:

Introduction to Film and Video (grades 9 or 10, 1 credit)
This course examines the areas of film and TV production from
historical, theoretical and practical applications. The study of
film as literature, as well as film evaluations, is emphasized. Students receive hands - on instruction with film and video equipment.

Film and Video II (also 1 credit typical grades 10 and/or 11)
This course is designed to give students a broader understanding
of the role and the impact of film/video production in modern
society. The intermediate -level television and video production
course seeks to cultivate potential student artists with a unique
vision and the desire to express that vision on film. Students
must work to develop technical skills that reflect creative potential. Classes are taught through a project - based, hands -
on student - centered process. (and something about working with others for a morning broadcast at the school)

and the third course is called Audio Visual Production, and is offered only as dual enrollment with the local state university. again 1 credit. for grades 11 or 12.

hope some of those details help you decide how you want to list the info as a course or extracurricular stuff. or combo of each.

With my middle daughter who made lots of jewelry in her high school years, I opted not to have it as a class and not on her portfolio either. It was fun, hobby and not needed on transcript. mileage will vary.

With youngest, I have been considering if she'll get a course credit for baking/cake decorating in the final years. Right now, the stuff she does is "more of the same" and just part of year 1 of home ec (and done at each birthday and major holiday). So it's not another "credit worthy course" in my opinion. But if she were to acquire new skills and take it up a notch, we'll reconsider.

hope some of those experiences help you to decide what you want to do.

Yes, that does help. I will have to think about it more, but maybe 0.5 credit is enough, unless he makes so much progress and learns so many new things that I opt to make it 1.0. But if he's just using what he's learned and doing more of the same, that's more like just hobby stuff. Thanks!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond