High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Life of Fred Statistics?

Life of Fred Statistics?

Has anyone used this course? I've never used any of LoF materials, but saw this and thought it might be a good option for later.
Any reviews on this or LoF?

re: Life of Fred Statistics?

I'm actually eyeing several of their courses, so post your thoughts if you have tried any of their books.

so post your thoughts if you have tried any of their books.

I'm clearly not the target customer of LoF products and "story line approach" to learning math.

Tried fractions (not a high school product of course) when middle kid was upper elementary. thought it could be nice for summer fun. It was a cute story, sorta. I can't imagine trying to learn how to do math from it. Felt at the time that if we hadn't already studied fractions we would not have learned them from this book without significant supplements on my part.
But my child liked the cute story. :)

I thought for some reason I'd try the personal finance book with this same student years later in high school. Let's just say I'm sure other people got more out of it than we did. I don't think it had a lot of offer in realistic stuff. The humor wore off quickly. The sarcasm was too repetitive. The concept of retire by 40-50 as a multimillionaire investor just didn't seem to be what we wanted.

I have not used the stats book. no intention too. I hope you find a positive review out there with glowing reports of how this all worked perfectly for them.

good luck.

Thank you for your real review.
I wondered about if it would be enough to know the concepts. I know the algebra series has extra books for more practice probably because of that. I saw two positive reviews for the finance book on CBD, so I wondered. Thanks for chiming in with your opinion.

Hi!

We haven't used statistics (yet), but I wanted to share our experience w/LoF that we used w/our daughter--fractions all the way through Trig (she's a senior now)
After using Making Math Meaningful for the first couple of years (I think we used it through level 5 or 6 through fractions?) we moved on to LoF. MMM was wonderful and gave our daughter a solid foundation in the basics. After that, our daughter wanted something more interesting and she was at an age where she was just reading up a storm and really loving it. I figured that, since she enjoyed reading so much, I would try LoF because of the "storytelling" aspect. She took to it immediately and has done very well in math (received Natl Merit Commended on the PSAT). She didn't need much drill bc her math skills were very solid so it was not a problem for her that LoF didn't have a ton of math problems.
It may not be for everyone, so I would recommend seeing if your library has any of the LoF books and you can see if you like the humor and style of the books and if it has enough drill for your child.
HTH
Best of luck!
Cindi

Cindi

MorningSong (the original poster) is having login technical difficulties. She asked me on another forum to say thank you for your reply and sharing about LoF. Congratulations to your daughter on the NMSC commended score.

(and I think it's great too!!!! )

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond