High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Chemistry -Looking for something specific

Chemistry -Looking for something specific

What is the most low cost way to take a chemistry course with a teacher? I would love to hear your options for me to compare.

I'm looking for a program that has DVD's to teach, or something online that teaches the lesson, but also explains how to do all the math part of the lessons.

My dd did Apologia Chemistry last year, but didn't get the math the first time around, and I just cannot help her. So, I think I'm going to have her retake Chemistry, but with a different program.

I think I will leave the Chemistry she has already taken on the transcript, so she gets credit for it, but I will call it "Conceptual Chemistry". And the next I will call "Chemistry with Lab".

I hope it doesn't seem odd with Chemistry on the transcript twice. I wouldn't bother having her retake Chemistry again...we would just choose a different science for senior year, but she wants to major in nursing, and the Chem grade looks really important to the colleges we have looked at.

Thank You!

re: Chemistry -Looking for something specific

Virtual homeschool group? They're free, but I think they use Apologia so I don't know if you want to repeat the book. And I'm not sure how they explain things. Hopefully someone else will answer.

We used Abeka with their DVDs for chemistry and it was a success. The year before we did a conceptual chemistry and Abeka Chemistry was nice step up for us after finishing the conceptual learning. Also, it gave the kids another year to mature academically in math necessary for Abeka.

Michelle32

I suggest that in addition to whichever dvd and text you go with that you consider finding someone local to tutor in the math. Sometimes having that aspect of it be "live in person" makes a difference over just hearing/watching recorded math lesson.

Thanks, everyone!

Y0ou can also take a look at FRIENDLY CHEMISTRY...I believe they have DVD of this and places that teach it also. Marne

(giving more info/experience on Friendly Chemistry which someone else mentioned)

For my youngest, I used and really liked Friendly Chemistry. awesome for conceptual or less math needed regular high school class. I chose to call it conceptual chemistry since my special needs learner was not in algebra. But that's not a reflection on the course itself.

math: basic things like ability to count (and follow a chart), some adding, not heavy on complicated equation balancing (stuff with examples almost always was in 1, 2, 3, 6 groupings so my delayed/special ed student could try those and see what worked -- trial and error without frustration ). Other math was unit conversion, which was easy to teach for us. toward the last 6 chapters, it felt "harder" with math concepts but still not heavy algebra needed. I handed the book to my husband at that point because I was tired and didn't have solutions manual. If he hadn't done that, I would have splurged and found solutions manual, or taken a break and come back to it. I found that if I took the time and just read the text out loud and worked through the problem set with my child it was doable. I just was too tired at the end of the book and got dh to be substitute teacher since he knows this stuff in and out in his work. It was not over my head. I was just tired.

Does include labs that aren't hard for home use.

Has paid $$$$ dvd option that reads the texts with some slide shows. I didn't think they were all that worth it compared to just reading the chapter out loud. I had the first 12 chapters of those dvd lessons included with our SchoolHouse Teachers subscription. I couldn't see myself paying for the lesson DVD when all it is is reading the textbook and having the charts in slide form.

There are other has free online videos for labs/hands on stuff. That was fun for watching some stuff especially with the group " learning games".

I don't know if it meets your academic goals and needs for student going into nursing school. I don't know if it's good for how you plan to list your courses. But it's a good program for regular (or even special ed) high school. There is math in the chemistry, but not too overwhelming. most problem sets had about 10 or so problems to practice the lesson.

Thanks ladies for the suggestion, and explanation of Friendly Chemistry. I had heard that name but did not know much about it.

I'm thinking this might not work for my dd, but sounds great for my youngest when he hits high school. I'm going to keep it on my radar.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond