High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Math options

Math options

I'm not going to get into details because it's complicated, but I am trying to start thinking about math options for next year (11th).

Which would you choose from the following options:

1) push student to continue doing higher math sequence just because he is capable of doing it, even though such math is not needed for his post-secondary education, and he doesn't enjoy it at all

2) let student take lesser, easier math and relax a little, knowing that this math will still prepare him for college and get him into any college program of his choice

I guess it boils down to: do you keep forcing higher math on a kid because he can, or do you let him do less because that's really all he needs?

re: Math options

Depends on the potential, in my opinion.

1. All kids need business and personal finance, in my opinion. Whether they get it in high school or college, it really doesn’t matter. All kids need to understand investments, basic economical principles of life, and even how to balance a checkbook. So, if your idea of easier math is these things, then I would highly encourage this.

2. If a kid has the potential for being an engineer or a rocket scientist, even if it is not in his teenage plans, then I would push for higher math. A kid who elects to go to ditch digger school may change his career at age 30. Always keep in mind what a kid is capable of, not his immediate plans, since he will most likely change.

HTH

My son was 100% sure that he wanted to go straight into the workplace. I actually ended up graduating him early since he was so determined not to go to college and he knew exactly where he wanted to work. He also has an early birthday so would have turned 18 at the beginning of his senior year. Had we chosen for him to continue homeschooling for one more year, I would have allowed him to take consumer math.

At this age, I consider my children to be young adults in many ways and I allow them to have a big part in choosing their high school courses. I did have basic requirements but, beyond that, I gave them some freedom in directing their own education. My son chose to focus more on the humanities. My daughter prefers to focus on science and math. Each child is unique and one of the joys of homeschooling is that we can tailor make an individual educational plan in accordance with his/her unique bent. My son has never regretted it and has scored very well when tested. He is now 22 and owns his own home and has a great job with lots of room for advancement. We are both very pleased and satisfied with his education.

I agree with Minnie...

They don't know if plans will change down the road.

fun@home

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond