High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

Survey of Astronomy users?

Survey of Astronomy users?

I know a few people have used this course. Are the Created Moon book and Taking Back Astronomy more interesting than the Stargazer's Guide to the Night Sky? We're spending an entire semester on the Stargazer's guide, as per the schedule, and it just seems so... lifeless. It's a pretty technical book and somewhat boring. The worksheets are just fill-in-the-blank comprehension questions and there are no labs.

Does it get better? I keep looking longingly at Signs and Seasons by Jay Ryan and thinking it would be so much more fun, and maybe more practical.

re: Survey of Astronomy users?

We're using it, but in a slightly different way. My oldest is using it through Heart of Dakota's 12th grade guide (US2) for science this year. He's doing a semester of Astronomy, using the resources they schedule, which *does not* include the stargazers book. They include all the dvd's, which my ds is enjoying quite a bit. We're doing it as written through HOD, but without the lab component, as my ds didn't need labs this year, and we're trying to keep things more manageable time-wise. :)

Interesting that they don't use the Stargazer's book. Is he enjoying the other books? Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure why they (HOD) decided not to use the stargazers book, but yes, he's really enjoying the course. ;)

That's good to hear. I actually went to HOD's website and read the details about the astronomy, and I see that they substitute The New Astronomy Book for the Stargazer's guide. It doesn't say, but I wonder if they did that because the Stargazer book is really technical. Hmmm. I already have The Astronomy Book and its corresponding worksheets and quizzes, so I could definitely substitute it, too, if I need to.

That sounds like a great plan! 😊

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond