High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

MFW WHL or something similar.

MFW WHL or something similar.

I had the MFW WHL package coming to us back in August for my DD 10th. Well, it got lost and I had to submit a claim to USPS and just received a check from them (shocked they sent it to me without a fight)! I have the money now. So, I am trying to decide if I should just let her continue Notgrass World and beef up the literature and Bible in NG and get a writing course or try to search for WHL again used.

I am only second guessing because I don't want to order Media mail from yet another person and have the USPS lose it or have it delayed. I cannot afford the whole new package right now from MFW> (oldest is getting married next month).

Anyhow, is there any other program similar to MFW with the scheduling that is cheaper, but lays out the daily work?

For DS 11th, we do have MFW US to 1877 and he has started that. I thought about combining them, but DD already did US last year. I guess I could have her do the Literature and Bible portion of DS US and stick with Notgrass for DD.

I think I am making this difficult. I just want to have an independent curriculum for DD and she likes the idea of check lists/daily tasks for organization.

Any other ideas on Literature based packages that are independent for high schoolers?

Thank you,

Kristen

re: MFW WHL or something similar.

This may not be what you are looking for but it is lit based and free and links you to the books that you can read for free on line.

anoldfashionededucation

We like lit based programs, I have the sonlight catalog and beautifulfeet and classical conversations, and a few other catalogs and we just read the books they recommend, not on a schedule. We don't buy them all either we can rent them from the library.

This post was edited on Sep 11, 2017 08:07 AM

If you want to use what you have, Notgrass EWH is Bible, English, and History. There's an assignment checklist available here: https://history.notgrass.com/exploring-world-history-links/

Your student will still need to plan out their pacing for the unit projects. The parent guide offers alternate literature titles or you can add them to the reading if you wanted to add more literature. The guide also suggests writing handbooks or you can add a program of your own.

Another option is to use the Well Planned Gal lesson plans. They are fairly new so not a lot of feedback on them. The lesson plan itself is pretty inexpensive--I got it for $30 with a coupon code. Of course it is not nearly as detailed as the MFW guide. But it uses many of the same books and is set up very well for independent use. We are using the library for a lot of the books and buying used for the rest. Not too far into it yet but so far I like it.

I don't know how much your check is for. If it is, for example, $200 could you reduce the wedding budget by $300 and order new from MFW? Or, if your DD getting married is working have her contribute $300 to the wedding?

My first thought was to find a way to budget for both the curriculum need for your 10th grader and the wedding.

Yes, in ideal world, you'd just order new, or buy used from someone you know in real life and meet for the books. or use real tracking when shipping.

yes, in ideal world, you could drop something from the wedding that isn't already a sunk cost or an issue. but yeah. ok. :)

if the money doesn't fall from heaven, nor a friend have the products in real life.....

Idea:

Since 10th grader has recently done some US history and isn't likely to repeat that in 11th grade with MFW products.....

1. use notgrass that you have. Open book. do lesson X. close book. tomorrow do lesson X + 1. You don't need to add to this for history credit for basics in world history.

2. combine your children in the Worldview class in MFW 11th grade program. the title is something like Thinking like a christian.

3. for English: why not just use the selections suggestions in either notgrass and/or MFW World picking books from library? now you're fine on that. For lit analysis, figure some of that out soon enough.
For composition: consider getting a used copy of Writer's Inc and have the 10th grade just go through as much of book in order as makes sense to do. wing it.

Have that child use a planner so that she can write down a week at a time what to do.
Subject: Bible. do week 5 day 4 in TLAC
Subject: History. do the next lesson in notgrass
Subject English: Read something (odd number weeks). Write something (even number weeks) Every day: practice some grammar worksheet out there (5-10 minute) , learn some new words in my novels. practice for ACT for a few minutes with free online resources.

seriously: make it a simple graph/chart. OR go over to mfw's website samples and find a grid on the sample pages, print that, white out stuff as needed to make you a template. shove in plastic sheet cover or make new copies. Give this as assignment today to the 10th grader to do all by herself.

for help for her to do one research paper in either fall or spring , use this online tool for planning
https://www.roanestate.edu/owl/ResearchPapers.html

Things to buy:
Writers Inc. get it used or new. I don't care. It's not that expensive.

and take a deep breath.... it's all going to work out and things will look easier after the wedding is done. It's a lot of stress I hear. I know for some reason my in laws were stressed when I got married and they weren't paying for anything or organizing it or anything. I was full time in college and it was just stuff on the agenda to get done and show up. But parents and in laws were basket cases on it. I was more worried about my final semester in college.

((hugs)) I have to log out right now. But when I get another chance to chime in, I'll link you to some planning pages. let the 10th grader step up a bit on this for this semester and call it a life skill on the planning.

Yes, in ideal world, you'd just order new, or buy used from someone you know in real life and meet for the books. or use real tracking when shipping.

yes, in ideal world, you could drop something from the wedding that isn't already a sunk cost or an issue. but yeah. ok. :)

if the money doesn't fall from heaven, nor a friend have the products in real life.....

------------------------------

I wasn't being idealistic. I was offering some practical suggestions I would potentially use. I have never seen a wedding budget that couldn't cut $300, or even $500, of unnecessary items that would never be missed on the special day.

My other practical suggestion would be to order again used. But, make sure they ship it in a priority box with tracking. I find as long as I mail used curriculum in a priority box it arrived to the destination. The three times I shipped in normal boxes it was lost and I had to refund the buyer.

I hope the OP finds a useful suggestion, amongst the many ideas, that helps her find a good solution.

Enjoy the wedding!

This post was edited on Sep 13, 2017 12:55 PM

if using the samples of the grid on mfw aren't helpful (either samples or one of the pages in the US1877 book), google found a free student planner template on this person's blog
http://www.newbeehomeschooler.com/freestudentplanner.htm

no idea who that is or if it has affiliate links. but the freebie planner... you can print and have the grade 10 student write it as simple as
Bible: week 1, day 2 of US1877 with sibling
History: lesson 1 Notgrass, lesson 2 notgrass.... (it really is ok if you don't do a full map and timeline.)
English: might need a little bit of work on that, but if all else ??? just do Notgrass literature as suggested, and Writer's Inc. you decide on timing.

Yes, it's wonderful to have MFW do a lot of planning. The thing to remember is they are planning out a lot of individual resources for history and English. And that's great. and yes, I had two children and it was wonderful to use in high school been there. loved it. But if the money isn't there for full product, streamline to quality stuff in English. Read, Write. maybe test prep every day. It's ok to do a really good job with less.

Here's hoping you get the money or find someone locally for used sale to work out. But if that doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world or college prep to use just notgrass for grade 10.

I hope that encourages instead of overwhelms. I know I did it the mfw way with two of mine. Then youngest has developmental and intellectual delays, so I had to do lesson planning now. And I've found that she (in spite of delays and differing ability) is able to help plan out her week on a template like I shared above. We actually use the planners on SchoolHouse Teachers.com with paid subscription.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond