High School and Beyond

Reply to topic

Search

re: Science Projects or Labs

Science Projects or Labs

Do any of the science programs have easy projects or labs? And lab sheets to fill out?

1. Master Books

2. 101 DVD series (Do these even have worksheets as well?)

3. PAC Science

How many labs per year should we expect to tackle?
If not, any suggestions or templates to make our own?
Or pre-made kits that would work for these publishers?
Just something to easy, inexpensive?

Thanks

Can't remember if you're the person looking for 8th grade things or high school. So I'm giving some details that may not apply.

2. 101 DVD series (Do these even have worksheets as well?)

a. no worksheets. but there is a file on the disk that can be read that has notes of the video segments. I used those files while watching the video segments to have my student have something to listen for and fill in the blank. Yes, it took some time on my part for each segment, but I did it. (She is a special needs learner and otherwise would space out too much in the videos. So listening for key sentences and fill in the blanks - even if we had to pause the video - was a good exercise for her.)

b. They have some "labs" and "demos" (activities) on the "accreditation" pdf file that comes with it.

Some of the demos/activities are very easy. I found the suggestion time frame for them was greatly exaggerated. and in some cases, the activities were ok for intro for jr. high, but not really for high school. (example: in biology101, one of the early activities is to learn about classification. The activity is to take 2 hours for lunch and go to a restaurant to sort items on table and menu). If you're doing to spend 2 hours on activity like that you should be learning also how to use an identification key in biology but that's not in the idea book

however, when in physics101 dvd, there are some activities that seem more appropriate to learning the material (if you think of it as intro to physical science). But then there are tongue in cheek suggestions with some of those field trips: on the way to the ice cream store, take note of each time you accelerate, and why it was an acceleration (that's the legit part) and in your write up make sure you list what kind of ice cream you bought - that's laugh line.

For lab reports, you can simply write some of those up as a paragraph summary of what you did and why it applied to concept. (aka ye ole notebooking method). If you like more formal feel to things, you can go very formal for some of the activities and follow a middle school or high school lab rubric. google and pick one you like... here's a random one that seems to like it fancy complete with bibliography. (for a course like this, I wouldn't bother. the bibilography will be your dvd)
http://www.nbexcellence.org/faculty/lawtonl/Microsoft%20Word%20-%20Lab%20Report%20Format%20&%20Rubric%2009-10.pdf

or a little less intense
http://static.nsta.org/connections/highschool/201201LabReportRubric.pdf

Remember: if you keep a notebook of your activities, you don't have to have a full formal lab write up every.single.time. A few times a year can be enough to learn the procedure. Or at least that's what I learned from reading notes in our apologia high school stuff :) and it was just fine for my oldest who is STEM gal in college......

oh, I didn't say this part about 101 labs..... I don't think there are kits for those. I didn't have a major problem grabbing and going with stuff in house.

Master books: answer may vary based on which book are you looking at?
example: wonders of creation series: if you get the teacher guide (parent lesson planner as it was once called), they will have small suggestions for ideas. and tell you to look on home science tools for kits and such. What to use and all of that will vary from book to book in their "wonders of creation" series books.

Thank you!

I'm looking for high school. This a subject I can streamline and combine students and they can learn/do the labs together.

This post was edited on Feb 18, 2017 12:44 AM

Some of the Master Books courses have activities built into them and some don't. For example, in the Intro to Meteorology and Astronomy package, there are activity suggestions in the worksheets such as going outside and identifying as many constellations as you can, or building a sundial. Others don't have any activities (Medicine and Biology doesn't). However, if you look at each package at Master Books' website, they do offer suggestions of kits for labs that could go along with each course. They are not scheduled in the lesson plans, but you can add them if you want.

Pac courses don't have any labs, as far as I know.

Thank you, very helpful all replies. :O)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to High School and Beyond