Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

The Best Blender for smoothies...

The Best Blender for smoothies...

I like it thick, I like it cold, and I like a big glass. It has to be extremely tough on ice or frozen fruit.

So what's the best one out there for this?

re: The Best Blender for smoothies...

Vita-Mix or Blend-Tec.

I've been using the Vita-Mix to make smoothies all week. I use frozen fruit, whole fresh fruit (like an apple, cored, cut in 4ths, with it's skin or the hard core of pineapple) fresh spinach leaves, ice cubes, yogurt, and rice milk (added to make it more runny for the kids) and it only takes a few seconds to blend it to perfection.

Edit to add: my husband bought the Vita-Mix 15 or so years ago, I married him for it, lol. It's been going strong all those years. we actually wore out one canister (the blade was fine, so we ordered just the canister and put our old blade in it). So in spite of it's $$$$, it's paid for itself.

This post was edited on Sep 07, 2011 04:05 PM

My Bosch mixer has a great blender, but oh how I'd love a Vita Mix

~Kel

We have the G E Rocket blender from Walmart. It cost $20 and we use it every day. The kids use it on their own every morning - highly recommended!!!!

For hard frozen fruits we have Vitamix. We had a cheap blender before (I don't know about the above mentioned) and everytime we tried to blend anything harder than a banana it would smoke and smell burnt.

Well, it's not fancy, and I'd love a Vita-Mix but my Hamilton Beach blender has held up for almost 2 years of daily (sometimes 2 times a day!) smoothie making.

Okay, so now to put the Vita-mix on my Christmas List.

Thanks and thanks for saving me from buying 2 or 3 before buying the right one.

LOL on the smokey-burnt smell. It's why I'm looking.

If you do go for the Vitamix, I recommend skipping the Dry container (for grinding wheat, etc) if it is sold as an extra. (Sometimes they combine them, sometimes they are sold separately.) I used it when it was our only grinder, but when I got a real grinder, I noticed how poor (and slow) the Vitamix really did in that area. So I'd save the money and if you do want to grind wheat, beans, ect, get a dedicated wheat grinder. (Even the hand crank ones are better than the Vitamix, in my experience.)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat