Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

re: Teen Boys and no shirts

Teen Boys and no shirts

My boys are now 13 and 14. The 14 year old has taken a real interest in trying to be in shape. He likes to do pull ups, push ups, etc. He also swims in our backyard and goes for runs.

Sometimes, he is without a shirt. My usual comment is : Put a shirt on. He will say it is too hot to wear a shirt and work out, but then will put one on.

Just curious...outside of when swimming, do you allow your boys to be shirtless? Does it matter who is home or if they have sisters, etc.?

DH rarely is without a shirt and younger ds is timid and more insecure, and very worried about being 'inappropriate' on any level, ever (not only wears a shirt, but usual with a collar and tucked in...by choice!). But oldest son, with summer here, would rather work out, do yard work, etc. without a shirt. Am I 'wrong' to tell him to keep a t-shirt on unless in the pool? Dh thinks it is a phase, like when he wanted to wear his football jersey everywhere last year...just being sure everyone knows that he is a 'man' in his mind!

Anne

This post was edited on Jul 06, 2011 03:20 PM

As long as his pants aren't so low that his undergarments are showing, I don't personally have a problem with it.

I think all teenage boys go through it. It seemed *to me* like a silly hill to die on, so I didn't say too much about it and my son just gradually started wearing his shirt on his own. I don't know what your tolerance level is with waiting it out. ;-) He tried doing yard work with no shirt on a couple of times, but had too much sun exposure, so he reaped the natural consequences of that action.

We only have one child, and I didn't care, so we didn't have the issue of sisters, etc . . . to deal with.

Me and dh allow Dean (16) to be shirtless if he's outside in OUR backyard, not in our house because there's no reason for that.
Brian (10.5) is not allowed to go shirtless anywhere unless he's around a pool/swimming.

Also the boys in our neighborhood walk around shirtless, i think that's inappropriate, and i make sure Dean doesnt do that.

ETA: We also have 7 girls and i dont see a problem with it, But if they have friends over, i tell him to put on a shirt unless they're swimming

This post was edited on Jul 06, 2011 01:22 PM

Oh, you've hit my "button!"

Well, my 18-year-old does the same thing, now that he has "muscles." He has trimmed way down, so I can understand how he feels proud of his body now. I've gotten used to it, but I only allow it for minutes on the way to the shower.

My "button" is not so much about teen boys but grown men! I'm just grossed out when an overweight guy is outside, working in the yard or something, without sporting a shirt. Even if he is in shape, I feel it is improper.

My "button" is not so much about teen boys but grown men! I'm just grossed out when an overweight guy is outside, working in the yard or something, without sporting a shirt. Even if he is in shape, I feel it is improper.

This post was edited on Jul 06, 2011 03:07 PM

no shirtless guys here.

I have 4 boys, and they wear shirts. Now if there's a reason that they need to change shirts or something like that and we're outside, then they do it quickly without making a big deal out of it. But they don't go shirtless for no reason. I have to wear a shirt regardless of how hot it is, and I've never spontaneously combusted.

I even require them to wear shirts (rash guards) in the pool. I've just always preferred the way men look with shirts on, and DH has the same preference. Modesty is very important to us, and this is one way we instill it.

"I have to wear a shirt regardless of how hot it is, and I've never spontaneously combusted."

======================================

If I wasn't also against bumper stickers, your quote would be my next one! I love it!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat