Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Resume - what would you put?

Resume - what would you put?

After years of home schooling, I'm applying for a job. Naturally, I have a huge gap in my employment record (I quit when my 14 yo was born) and I want to show that I do have "experience" and didn't just sit around. Rather than putting this under "Employment" w/my other jobs, I'm putting in "Uncompensated Experience" or "Uncompensated Positions" or something. Does anyone have a good heading I could use for this?

Under the title of Home School Teacher, I'm putting this as the position description:

"I served as the primary instructor for two children during grades one through eight. My duties included: selecting, developing and implementing appropriate curricula, teaching all subjects and evaluating student performance, maintaining all student records, complying with all state laws and reporting procedures, administering standardized tests, choosing and providing extracurricular activities, overseeing lab experiments, and providing discipline and guidance."

Can you think of anything else to include as a job description for a home school mom? I want to steer away from household responsibilities such as budgeting, housework, driving, etc.

pcm

re: Resume - what would you put?

I would have a section titled Qualifications where you outline your qualifications based on your non-working experience in addition to any work experience.

I would also have a section titled Experience where you list your job history AND your non-job history chronologically. Give dates. Title your experiences by job title such as Accountant, Receptionist, Financial Analyst, etc. or in the case of non-job stuff use things like, Volunteer, Homeschool Administrator, Co-op Leader, Chapter President-MOMS Club International, Senior Organizer (for an event or ongoing activity), etc. You get the picture.

This post was edited on Jun 21, 2011 12:56 PM

I agree with pp.

List under "Qualifications" that is exactly what they are.

I have to be honest - I went back to work after a 15 year absence in 2009 and it never occurred to me to mention anything about homeschooling. I'm really not sure how some employers would take that, unless what you are applying to do is in a school system or working with children specifically.

did the job you have before require continuing education credits? Did you get any? Take any classes online or anything?

What kind of job is it for? It's important to word your stuff in the same language as the job you are looking at.

Also, just have a section called Experience and list everything, compensated or uncompensated, that would count. Sunday School Teacher, various committee positions at church, volunteer positions. If you are looking for a job in corporate america, then you might title your homeschool teacher position as Educator. If you are looking at getting a job in a school system, then call yourself Teacher. If you, for instance, lead the Crafts section every school year for 4 years in your church's Wednesday night Bible program, then you would call that "Craft Coordinator" for a corporate job, and "Art Teacher" for a school job. If you babysat someone's children for a summer, you were "Child Care Provider." Do you see what I mean?

Thanks for the suggestions. This is a non-teaching, staff position, at a university. All of my previous work history was human resource manger positions. I know that large gaps in employment always raised red flags to us, so I guess I was trying to "cover" the gap. I'm sure that I could just include my employment history and only bring up home school if they question why I haven't worked in so long.

pcm

you can have a section titled "Volunteerism/Community Service".
This is where you can list your "uncompensated" work.

(employers "love" Community Service)

make sure to list your educational credentials

also, have a section listed "professional skills"...
and be sure to list Microsoft Word, Office, Excel, Power Point...also, familiarity with a foreign language (???)...any other software/computer skills. List them in bullet format so they are easy to read. Are you a proficient typist? List that. Are you certified in CPR? List that... How about Life Saving? list that.

References: Upon request.

don't be too wordy. you will lose interest.

I just redid my resume' for a master's program..I learned alot of tips and my resume looks great now.

anything older than 15 years is kinda "blase' "..so don't write a story on it.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat