Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Is Garnier HerbaShine hair color safe??

Is Garnier HerbaShine hair color safe??

Hhmm, I was reading some scary things about women's hair falling out in clumps, or thick hair thinning after use. It all has me scared to do something of this magnitude to my hair. is there a very safe hair color? Or do they all carry the potential whether or not any one individual actually has any poor results or not?

re: Is Garnier HerbaShine hair color safe??

Only my opinion so take it for what it's worth, LOL! I don't think any hair dye is safe unless it's something totally "natural".

I pray this doesn't come out wrong but, I would never peg you as the type to color your hair with all you seem to know about natural things and health-related things. Do you know what I mean? I really don't mean that in a bad way..just a little shocked, LOL!

Here's a funny...

My mother colors her hair and always has. I don't and won't. I'm getting lots of those silvery strands and me, my 12yo dd and my mom were just talking about hair dye. We all laughed because dd said, "You mean my Mom is gonna be all gray and my grandmother isn't? That's just weird. Grandma, you need to stop coloring your hair." LOL! But giving it some thought, she's right. I know my Mom will always color her hair so there will be a time when I'm gray and she's not. LOL! We just had a good laugh about this.

Ok, I went off on a little bunny trail there. :-)

I pray this doesn't come out wrong but, I would never peg you as the type to color your hair with all you seem to know about natural things and health-related things. Do you know what I mean? I really don't mean that in a bad way..just a little shocked, LOL!

Blessedwith4,
You are totally correct and it didn't come out wrong at all! :o) I am not at all the type to color my hair, actually. It's just that my son the other day said something...I forget the actual words and it wasn't even unkind or anything at all, really, but the gist being something along the lines of it being preferable to not have gray-haired mommy. (Not that I'm gray-haired completely, just silver-streaked.) So when I was in the pharmacy getting his inhaler, I had the bright idea to look at the hair coloring lines with the children, and I found that this one was ammonia-free and I felt probably safer as it washed out in 28 shampoos. (That word "permanent" seemed very permanent, kwim? :) That thought scared me, but 28 shampoos seemed manageable.) But now having read more things and knowing my own body to be so sensitive (gluten, peanuts, dust, lots of foods, many medicines, pollen.......) I am thinking that I may need to go with my gut instinct and realize that while it may work for others, my body says "no." Just as I shared in the thread with breakingdawn about giving birth, listening to my body- - it hasn't usually let me down.

Thanks for the encouragement!!! :) I think God used you to tell me something important!

>Thanks for the encouragement!!! :) I think God used you to tell me something important! <

Aw, you are welcome. I'm glad you understood what I meant.

My hair is really dark so my little grays are noticeable. I've been getting more and more lately. I don't remember the actual verse but doesn't the Bible talk about gray hair in a positive way? I take comfort in that, LOL! Well, that and the fact that I'm not really vain anyway, LOL! I praise the Lord for this, I really and truly do.

I'm off to bed now. It's past my bedtime. Good night. I hope you find peace with your little sparklies. :-)

I use henna on my hair. It doesn't completely cover the gray, but it blends it in, so it looks more like me. I'm very pale, and feel that I need the extra boost so I don't look so washed out. Henna is also good for the hair. :)

Audrey

Audrey,
I think I remember asking you about henna some time past. I've been nervous about trying it, because my mom says she always sees people who've hennaed their hair and it went orange. (?) (I know one of my favorite herbalists, Rosemary Gladstar, uses henna, and her hair doesn't look orange by any means.) :) But I'm not sure how to blend it for my color. I'm pretty much a dark auburn and with sun exposure, have coppery highlights. (That sounds like I have a warm skin coloring but I don't. I am very white with blue undertones and wear only silver jewelry or pearls. I am probably as "colorless" as you, because even my lips don't have natural pink or reddish color to them, w/o lipstick.) :o) Has it been a matter of trial-and-error for you, or is there a way to be fairly fail-safe?

Thank you!

Haircolor is like a lot of things- some people are extremely sensitive, and other people are never bothered by it. And for a few people, the chemicals are probably causing some subtle health problems and they'll never make the connection.

(For the record, I have a Cosmetologist license AND I am sensitive to many chemicals.)

In general, the darker the haircolor, the more likely the reaction or problems- meaning, black hair dye has more potential for sensitivity than a very light blonde. Also, if you don't put the color directly on the scalp there is less absorption through the skin (remember: never out anything ON your body that you wouldn't eat/put IN your body???) so using a highlighting cap and adding streaks will have less of an impact- but of course you won't get the all-over color. Using bleach (NOT a tint/color that lightens) is also different- the chemicals are strong, but they are removing color, not adding it.

When I worked in a salon, one of my co-workers had developed a sensitivity to dyes. She could no longer color her own hair- only use bleach for highlights- and even shampooing someone's hair that had been colored made her hands break out in a miserable rash. She had to wear cotton-lined gloves to do a haircut on tinted hair- the chemical residue remained in the hair even after months of shampooing. So don't rely on the patch test- her sensitivity was extreme, but uncommon, and it developed after years of working in salons.

There are better alternatives- one is Henna. I have Henna sitting on my dresser waiting for me to get brave, LOL! I haven't dyed my hair in about 16 years. Henna can be a little unpredictable, and can make getting a perm tricky. A brand that a friend of mine (even more sensitive than I am!) has used for years to color her hair is Herbatint. http://www.herbatintusa.com/ A health-food store might carry it, or be able to order it.

From their FAQ: How is Herbatint different from other hair colors?
Herbatint contains NO AMMONIA and is very, very low in peroxide (3%) –some colors can have up to 20%. The color is derived from the actual source i.e. vegetable and herbs. Vegetal (semi permanent color) contains no ammonia and no peroxide and is very, very gentle to your hair. The color is also derived from natural sources.

Thanks BerkeleySquare, for all the information. I did not know all of that. And it kind of makes me feel I am probably being wise to NOT use the color, because I am more like your acquaintance who ended up with the sensitivity. I have a lot of that. So being on the safe side, if boring, is better for me. ;) I will definitely begin looking into using henna. Only thing is that I heard it is VERY thick and pasty, and I worried it would ruin my septic to have that much thickness going down the drain . On the other hand, it is natural, and it's not a food product, so I suppose it shouldn't be a trouble for the system.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat