Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

Great vocation spots with kids (ages 2-8) anywhere in the lower 48???

Great vocation spots with kids (ages 2-8) anywhere in the lower 48???

Looking for idea here: something fun for everyone, especially if we do go with kids, so we will need activities and places to do and see, anywhere in the country (lower 48 states)?? Hopefully, something that is not beach or Disney (in FL), I am looking at anything at this point---- have at it........

Thank you.

re: Great vocation spots with kids (ages 2-8) anywhere in the lower 48???

St. Augustine, Florida - Oldest continuous European settlement in the U.S. Historical sites, shopping district, B&Bs, etc.

San Antonio, TX - The Alamo, Mexican market, Riverwalk, lots of other cool stuff. Fun for all ages.

Virginia - Go see Jamestown, Monticello, the list goes on and on

D.C. - Obvious reasons. Took my daughter at 2 and even she had fun.

Not beach-y? Hmm...

If you're outdoors-y, how about Montana? Wilderness getaway, beautiful scenery, rent a cabin for a week, just a thought. Probably would be pretty affordable as Montana is not a big summer vacation destination.

Adventures by Disney caters to that age, I believe. It might be 3 and up. They have about 6 or 7 vacations in the lower 48. We've done two of them, and I highly recommend.

Also, if y'all are bicyclers you might want to try a bed and breakfast along the Katy (sp?) Trail in Missouri. You'll need a bike with a bike carriage as well as a bike with a child wheel. You can rent them at certain spots if you can't bring your own. Our other favorite biking spots are Jackson Hole, Wyoming and Snow Mass, Colorado.

But geez, Louise. Why not Disney or a beach? Those are my absolute favorite two. Have you thought about a Disney cruise?

If your kiddos are more into animals, I'd try Miami Zoo or Discovery Cove in Orlando.

I second the bike Missouri thing. There are a lot of great little river towns, wineries, and B&Bs along the way.

San Diego -
You have Legoland close by (Carlsbad), Sea World, San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park (with numerous museums catering to all ages), an aircraft carrier to tour, a point (Cabrillo ?) with a lighthouse and tide pools, etc.

Yosemite but hard to get in but wonderful for all ages.

We did http://www.fontanavillage.com/
one year for a family reunion - a lot of fun.

Actually, not just San Diego but anywhere in CA along the coast or even inland some has a TON of options from museums to whale watching to beach to tide pools to theme parks to hiking to biking to wine country to pick your own farms to cheese factories and on and on and on....

Well some of the places we've visited when I was younger were... Tennessee, they have an aquarium that is pretty awesome I think. You can also go to Ruby Falls. (I can't remember if that is in GA or in TN. But it's close to the state line either way.) But at Ruby Falls you get to go down this elevator to the bottom of the inside of this mountain. They have walking paths and hand rails there so it is ok for younger kids to explore. But you go down in groups. They show you stalagmites or whatever those rock formations are it's really cool. Then at the end they take you to this place that is dark, and you can hear the water gushing. Then lights come on and it's a waterfall, coming down from the top of the mountain. It's really awesome. Then close by is look out mountain, I think you are supposed to be able to see 7 states from there. You can go camping at Raccoon Mountain and they also have a cave, but they make you sign a waiver that they aren't responsible for injuries. They say people of any size/age can go but I don't think I'd take my kids and they are 10, 9 and 3. But the camping was fun.

Also you could go to a ripley's believe it or not that was pretty fun. They have one in TN also, and one in Myrtle Beach, SC. Or you could go down to Orlando, FL and go to SeaWorld (I'm sure there may be other seaworlds, I don't know, but the only one I am familiar with is in FL). On the way you could stop in Waycross, GA and visit the Okefenokee Swamp, they have boat rides where you can tour the swamp and see gators and stuff. Super cool. Also educational too, they had (when I was a little younger) an old log cabin. But you could also swing over to Obediah's Okefenoke and tour his homestead. That was pretty cool, we just did that and it was pretty cheap! Up in Clear Water, GA (I think that's the city, I'll have to ask my mom for sure) but they had hot air balloon rides that you could take. My mom said they were free you just had to help them set up. They also visited a butterfly garden or something like that while they were there. Oh in atlanta there is The FernBank Museum, in Jacksonville, they have the Museum of Science and History.

Good luck with your decision!

Thank you for all of the ideas. Keep them coming.

Not really particular reason for the beach- it's just we've been to the beach either Florida coast for GA/carolina coast so many times. I guess looking for a little different thing this time round. Pretty much same goes for Disney, We been to Disney 3 times in the last 6 years (my younger dc don't do well with Disney until they hit magical age of 6 for what ever reason).

So, we are looking for something for everyone.

nat 21pt, have you thought of going to the NC or TN mountains? That's a great place to go this time of year, IMHO, when it's so hot in Florida. The mountains are cooler, especially at higher elevations like Cherokee, NC. There's so much to do in that area, I don't know where to start!

Our dc really liked Dollywood, DH and I liked it much better than Six Flags or Disney, and they have Homeschool DAys (I think in the fall, though). We've really enjoyed Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, the Great Smoky Mountains Railway, the TN Aquarium (which Miranda mentioned), and much, much more. If you google those areas, you'll find there's so much to do, you could stay a month!

I hope this helps.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat