Chit-Chat

Reply to topic

Search

What's your grading scale? does it make a difference?

What's your grading scale? does it make a difference?

When my kids were in ACE we did a 70-80-90-100 grading scale. 70 was the lowest of the Cs, 80 the Bs, and 90 the As. When we switched to A Beka, 80 became the lowest of the Cs, I think 87 the lowest of the Bs, and 94 the lowest of the As. I am not sure that the A Beka numbers are exactly right, but I do know it was not 90-80-70.

Just recently we started going three days a week to a sister church to do school three days a week. They had a christian school last year five days a week, and three years ago our church had one. This year, they are doing M,W,F and asked us to come down, and me to teach. They use A Beka, which we had switched to, but this summer I switched from A Beka in Lit., Science, Spelling. So, my kids do Math, English and History in A Beka, and on Tuesday and Thursday, at home, we do the other subjects. So far, it has worked great. However, today they started doing tests and quizzes. I went to check with the pastor's wife about their grading scale, assuming it was the 80-87-94. She told me she used the same one she did with her kids with A Beka from 15 years ago . . . 70-80-90!

I was rather caught off guard. Then several thoughts went through my head. First, I couldn't believe that A Beka used to be 70-80-90. Second, it made sense because they make everything harder as time goes on! (Anyone seen the new 3rd grade spelling book? Sheesh!) Next, I thought, well my kids will be thrilled, because it will be easier for them to get A's:) or B's and C's in their case. But, the longer I thought about it, it kinda bothered me.

I can't remember how grade point average (GPA) is figured out, so maybe those of you that have highschoolers can help me. Isn't GPA by percentage? do letter grades have anything to do with it? Do colleges look at letter grades or percentages? If they look at letter grades, do they consider that different schools have different scales? Too tired to think, and hoping you can calm my exhausted crazy thought processes!

P.S. I had only four hours sleep last night. Tomorrow I'll probably be like, duh! heehee:)

This post was edited on Sep 12, 2008 09:59 PM

re: What's your grading scale? does it make a difference?

We use the 70-80-90-100 grading scale here. Looking foward to what people have to say about the gpa b/c I can't remember how it's figured up. I was thinking you got 4 points for an A, 3 points for a B, 2 points for a C, etc, but I could be way off base here. Anyway, just wanted to let you know what grading scale we use.

strawberry, I was thinking the same thing (points-wise, I mean). That's why I'm wondering how this can work when different people use different scales, and do colleges consider that? Of course, I probably don't have a clue, so, go figure!

Come to think of it, I was reading an article on college admissions one day and it said that a lot of colleges are asking for the grading scale used and then they take it and convert it to their grading scale to see where they stand according to their school. It seems more fair to do it this way so all the kids are compared on an even playing field.

We have always used a 6-point scale (94-A, etc.) because that is what (I believe) Abeka suggests, although I use it for all subjects including non-Abeka ones!

I like them to try really hard and get used to earning those scores. If college classes use a lesser scale, then they can count that as a bonus when they get older!

Yes, I'm a mean ol'mommy!

bessedmom, I don't think that is mean. In fact, I was thinking about keeping my kids records separately in the 6 point scale also, just so dc would know what they are up against some day. Then too, I wouldn't have to convert it for college transcripts, etc.

Should I be using a grading scale with my 6th grader? Or is this more suited for middle or high schoolers? I started out using the 60-70-80-90 grading scale; however, I read that it's really not necessary for 6th grade. I prefer to give actual percentage grades, though I think that my DS finds it too intimidating, as he is struggling with a severe reading comprehension problem, which makes school pretty difficult for him. I've begun using a classroom stamp set, which both of us find a lot of fun! There are stamps for "Let's Discuss" all the way to "Excellent" type stamps. He loves seeing those stamps. If he gets a "Less Discuss" or "Please Correct", he knows he needs to work harder. Is this method sufficient enough for a 6th grader, who is actually working at an approximate 5th grade level? His "leveled" subjects (math and language arts) are at or below 5th grade level.

GPA is this: A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1. It doesn't matter how you arrive at your letter grades, although at the high school level, the grading scale you use should be shown.

When you talk about the grading scale that ABeka used, I'm assuming you mean ABeka Academy (or Pensacola Christian School, for that matter). If you just buy the textbooks, you can of course use any scale you want.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Chit-Chat